This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

City Navigator NA 2013.40 is now available for download.

2»

Comments

• werewolf 107 Points
    Thanks, old wino!
  • drugo 91 Points
    do you find problems to update with unit with 4gb , (model unit) relased last year ?

i'm still waiting for the europe map :(
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    I have removed extraneous voices, vehicles, help files etc. But the larger JCV file won't fit anymore :(
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Best bet then is to put the jcv file on a card. Note it needs to be in a folder Garmin\JCV which you will need to create on the card.

Also ensure card is formatted as FAT32.
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    Should I delete the JCV file or directory (or both) off the device if I create this on a card?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    No need to delete the directory but you will need to delete the other jcv file. Back it up first just in case there's a problem :wink:
  • My maps are two years old. No lifetime maps, no downloads, no mapupdater, no Garmin Express. Life is good. 8)

I don't think you're missing much. I compared 2013.3 with the new 2013.4 in many places I know and saw precious few actual updates. They do have some sort of software that moves the street names around a bit and that gives the illusion of change, but it's only an illusion. Up to this one they used to change the colors slightly too, but they didn't seem to do that this time. And I just update through Garmin Mapsource. And I also see that the maps come out different on my GPS (276c) than on the Mapsource on the computer.
    In places like DFW where there's tons of road construction going on all the time, map updates are essential. Unfortunately the updates don't always keep me from getting lost, since it takes a few months for the completed roads to show up in the map. :)
  • Garmin Express worked perfectly for me on three different units. With the GPS connected to Express ,highlight DEVICE. in the lower left there is a pane with device opted by default. click on device,the tab will drop down giving you options to install to computer also.
    For whatever reason, my install of Garmin Express v 2.1.12 never produced any covertly placed option to download the map to my computer. Regardless, it's a moot matter because I have since uninstalled Express and reverted back to the time proven MapUpdater.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Isnt Garmin late with the new map version?

Last one was at the end of February so we should have a new one by now right?

I read somewhere that the manifest.xml file has been on their server for several weeks now, Im wondering how much longer before they are available.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Can they ever really be considered late since its up to 4 updates a year?
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    They are playing with the words. In the past they would release a new version every 3 months thus the 4 releases a year. Lately the releases seem to be longer.
    The reason probably because of the new stuff being added to the latest nuvi models (the new more real directions feature)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That's what I thought too, but it looks like they are no longer even promising that...

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/lmdisclaimer

Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter
  • SergZak 340 Points
    What would this world be without the almighty disclaimer. :lol:
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Wow... what a lousy sneaky way for Garmin....

I wish openstreetmaps improves more and more to be comparable on the Nuvis as the Navteq maps.
    No more waiting for updates.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they will no longer provide 4 updates a year. You could also interpret this to mean there might be more than 4 per year.

I'd say it's just corporate CYA. Maybe even a response to people who feel "entitled" to receive an update at the beginning of each quarter like clockwork and then call Garmin to complain. :wink:
  • caryrae 92 Points

That's what I thought too, but it looks like they are no longer even promising that...

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/lmdisclaimer

Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter
    Leave it to Garmin to say different things. When I posted what I said I read this on the 3597 page:

nüvi 3597LMTHD arrives loaded with detailed maps of North America. With free lifetime¹ map updates, your routes are sure to reflect the most up-to-date maps, POIs (points of interest) and navigation information. New maps are available for download up to 4 times per year, for the life of your device, with no fees.

Looking at the map update sticky they pretty much have been doing 4 updates a year with each update close to the same time.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    WTH Garmin!

The 2014.10 maps are already available on different Torrent sites and not on your own server??

Come on release the maps.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    2014.10? We're still in the middle of 2013.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes, but from April 2013, the financial year 2013/2014 starts ... :wink:
  • t923347 432 Points
    @Zemartelo - You go right ahead and download those maps from whatever site has them. They either have errors in them that Garmin is correctling or you'll have a problem once you install them as Garmin is releasing firmware updates with the only change being "Fixed an error that caused new maps to fail authentication". Take your pick.

Personally I can wait for Garmin's official release. :roll:
  • werewolf 107 Points
    "Personally I can wait for Garmin's official release."

Same here, particularly since the updates are usually little or no improvement anyway.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    To be honest if I downloaded the maps from download sites any authentication problems would not be an issue if you know what I mean.

My point was that the map is already available underground while the official site is holding releasing them.

Its also quite ironic that one of the reasons for the hold up is because of authentication issues? LMAO.
  • drugo 91 Points
    ops
    sorry i did a mistake
    i thought it was about 2014.10 , but when will be out?

instead it's a topic about 2013.40

sorry
    have a good day/trip
  • kenp 92 Points
    ...Its also quite ironic that one of the reasons for the hold up is because of authentication issues? ...
    If a copy of the map has been stolen and is on underground sites, then it makes a lot of sense that Garmin would be beefing up their authentication method.

It's unfortunate that this has delayed release for us paying customers.

Ken
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    I dont know much about the security measures in place.
    How did the map get out before an official release anyway?
    I dont recall this happening before.

With this said Garmin is way late with this release.
    Especially that they had the manifest.xml file up on their servers at the begining of may. Before the maps would be available within 2 weeks of it.

Obviously a new map version doesnt excite you as much it does for me because theres alot of catch up in my neck of the woods as far the accurcy of the maps are concerned :)
    Lots of roads missing, lots of wrong type roads (unpaved, undrivable, seasonal, etc) and lots of roads that dont exist.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I wouldn't hold your breath ... They're still likely to be missing.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    With this said Garmin is way late with this release.
    Especially that they had the manifest.xml file up on their servers at the begining of may. Before the maps would be available within 2 weeks of it.
    I sympathize with your frustration but you are mistaken when you say Garmin is late. They clearly state Lifetime Map Updates are available UP TO 4 times a year. That means they have the right to issue only One, as long as it's within 1 year. So being late on this release does not apply.

Personally I would prefer they get it right the first time and not something they will have to re-release having to go through the download installation twice. This occurred with CN Europe 2013.40 when they had to remove it from their servers until 2013.41 could be released.

Think of the people who bought CN Europe 2013.40 on DVD and had to return it. This could be quite costly for Garmin.

So please be patient, it may not be Garmin’s fault but rather Navtaq who supplies the maps.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    I wouldn't hold your breath ... They're still likely to be missing.
    Too true.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    ...They clearly state Lifetime Map Updates are available UP TO 4 times a year. That means they have the right to issue only One, as long as it's within 1 year. So being late on this release does not apply.

The fine print is always the most important. The smaller the print the more important it is. Also those two words, "up to", are always pertinent.
  • popej 57 Points
    I think that next CN release will be based on Navteq data from Q4 2012. It would be really interesting to know why Garmin need 6 month to process this data.
  • lmacmil 91 Points
    I'm confused. The first message in this thread, dated Feb 2013, says CN 2013.4 is available. I connected my Nuvi a couple days ago, ran Mapupdater and it told me my 2013.3 maps were up to date. What am I missing?
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    you probably need a new version of the mapupdater.
    Try loging in into your mygarmin account or download garmin express.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    That's strange for sure the CN 2013.4 have been out since then.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Not a huge issue but I really think Garmin should reset their map numbering. We'll be hitting 2014.1 at this next release but this doesn't coincide with anything logical, doesn't make any sense and just causes confusion. This will be the second map release of 2013 yet they're using (as far as we know) 2014.1. :roll:
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Not a huge issue but I really think Garmin should reset their map numbering. We'll be hitting 2014.1 at this next release but this doesn't coincide with anything logical, doesn't make any sense and just causes confusion. This will be the second map release of 2013 yet they're using (as far as we know) 2014.1. :roll:
    I totally agree - they really need to reset their versions! :idea:
  • t923347 432 Points
    What would they reset them to? 2013.20 has already been taken. :shock:
  • caryrae 92 Points
    They could say the month and year of the release like June 2013 or 06.2013.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    They could say the month and year of the release like June 2013 or 06.2013.
    Dating merchandise in advance is a marketing ploy. It sounds like the latest and greatest for a longer period of time.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I think something like 06.2013 would be great. It's simple & you know at a glance when it was released. Adding an extra digit at the end could signify the quarterly (or otherwise) release:

06.2013.10 (Jun 2013, release 1)
    08.2013.20 (Aug 2013, release 2)
    10.2013.30 (Oct 2013, release 3)
    12.2013.40 (Dec 2013, release 4)

It's not rocket science...but what -is- rocket science is figuring out their current numbering system (when was it released? How many more releases this year?)
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Where is 2014.10 anyway? Based on past release dates, they're a bit late, aren't they?
  • drugo 91 Points
    Where is 2014.10 anyway? Based on past release dates, they're a bit late, aren't they?
    yes me too
    it's the update after 2013.40

but a sticky topic about maps update did disapear :( :roll:

is there an offcial date to download ?
    thanks
  • SergZak 340 Points
    but a sticky topic about maps update did disapear :( :roll
    It's right on top of the main Garmin Forum page. Direct link:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17527/x/p1/
  • lmacmil 91 Points
    you probably need a new version of the mapupdater.
    Try loging in into your mygarmin account or download garmin express.
    I ran Express and it found the new maps but I didn't see the option to install them on my computer also so I downloaded MapUpdater, ran it and it's downloading 2013.4 now. Looks like it will be about 1 hr 20 min.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    " ...it's downloading 2013.4 now"

2013.4 is the old map.

I think the title of this thread is confusing people.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Not yet it isn't ... it'll only be the 'old map' when 2014.10 is released :twisted:
  • drugo 91 Points
    Not yet it isn't ... it'll only be the 'old map' when 2014.10 is released :twisted:
    but could be downloaded the europe map version 2014.10 with MapUpdater or garmin express?

thanks
  • sussamb 813 Points
    No ... it's not released yet.
  • drugo 91 Points
    No ... it's not released yet.
    thanks
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Moderator Note: Please do not make any further posts regarding illegal copies of Garmin maps. Such discussion could result in the suspension of your account here.

Thanks.