This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Just offered 2014.10

Try MapUpdater now.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    It's also available via Garmin Express.
  • Thanks for the heads up. I'm updating via Garmin Express right now.

50 minutes later and all done. 2014.10 installed. Of course the small JCV file came along for my 1690.

Garmin Express installed the map to my SD card. It's almost 2GB now.

And here are the old (2013.40) vs new JCV files:

Looks like the new JCV file has shrunk compared to the old small JCV file.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Must be better compression as it's the same with the 400+KB split screen file. Anyhow if your looking for the complete full screen file it's at:

http://download.garmin.com/support/2014_10/NA/JV/D3060100A.JCV
  • Whoa! The large JCV file is already out? How did you find that? ;)

Thanks!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    For those in the EU note that CN EU 2014.10 is not yet released :wink:
  • drugo 91 Points
    hi
    is the usa map ?
    my mapupdater & Garmin Express doesn't find europe 2014.10 map :(
  • sussamb 813 Points
    See my post above :wink:
  • roadster 96 Points
    no tanks
  • drugo 91 Points
    See my post above :wink:

• And here are the old (2013.40) vs new JCV files:

And the large JCV file has also shrunk from the previous file size:
    new is 769,467 KB.
  • drugo 91 Points

new is 769,467 KB.
    i think there is something wrong
    what could be stored in 24.119kb??
  • SergZak 340 Points

new is 769,467 KB.

i think there is something wrong
    what could be stored in 24.119kb??
    24,119KB is ~24 MB
    769,467KB is ~769 MB
  • drugo 91 Points

24,119KB is ~24 MB
    769,467KB is ~769 MB

ops sorry
    but the europe JCV was always ~300-350 Mb
    usa should be bigger
    24mb is a very small file compared to 769mb
    really wondering what did garmin store in 24Mb
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited June 2013
    the europe JCV was always ~300-350 Mb
    usa should be bigger
    24mb is a very small file compared to 769mb
    really wondering what did garmin store in 24Mb
    The 24MB JCV file is likely the absolute minimum for low memory units. The JCVs are also not PhotoReal and likely use a generic view for many of the JCVs. There are probably less JCVs in the 24MB file but I can't be certain on that.

The ~750MB JCV is full-screen/full resolution (not cropped) and (probably) has all available JCVs which are PhotoReal. This file is meant for those units that came pre-installed with this type of JCV file (nuvi 765). This file is NOT normally installed on even the high-end nuvis (like the 37xx/34xx). Garmin offers this large JCV file as an optional download for those who wish to use it and for units that support it and have enough memory to handle the size (internal memory or SD Card).
  • t923347 432 Points

new is 769,467 KB.
    Better file compression. :wink:
  • drugo 91 Points

The 24MB JCV file is likely the absolute minimum for low memory units. The JCVs are also not PhotoReal and likely use a generic view for many of the JCVs. There are probably less JCVs in the 24MB file but I can't be certain on that.
    hi
    i read it
    but i would really like to try to update an 16GB usb stick with a folder garmin with inside garmindevice.xml ,it should be seen like an garmin and try to update the usb stick and see the file size
  • SergZak 340 Points

but i would really like to try to update an 16GB usb stick with a folder garmin with inside garmindevice.xml ,it should be seen like an garmin and try to update the usb stick and see the file size
    The only way you'll get the *largest file* is if your "cloned" nuvi drive has a GarminDevice.xml from a nuvi 765 that you own and have lifetime updates for. Otherwise, you can download it directly from Garmin when it's available (I assume you are wanting the 2014.10 CNEU JCV file). Someone will probably post the link to it when it's released.
  • drugo 91 Points

The only way you'll get the *largest file* is if your GarminDevice.xml is from a nuvi 765. Otherwise, you can download it directly from Garmin when it's released (I assume you are wanting the 2014.10 CNEU JCV file). Someone will probably post the link to it when it's released.
    hi
    but i 'm not looking for a large file, eastern europe had always a jcv of 300-350mb file
    it was standard
    but 24mb is too small
  • SergZak 340 Points
    but i 'm not looking for a large file, eastern europe had always a jcv of 300-350mb file
    it was standard but 24mb is too small
    You may be able to get the ~350MB JCV file by using the 16GB nuvi "clone". All you can do is try.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited June 2013
    The 24KB file is for NORTH AMERICA ONLY and it's what we get on devices with only 2GB of internal storage.
  • sussamb 813 Points

The only way you'll get the *largest file* is if your GarminDevice.xml is from a nuvi 765. Otherwise, you can download it directly from Garmin when it's released (I assume you are wanting the 2014.10 CNEU JCV file). Someone will probably post the link to it when it's released.

hi
    it was standard
    but 24mb is too small
    You won't be offered the 'small' file with CN EU, we always get the 'large' file :wink:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    You won't be offered the 'small' file with CN EU, we always get the 'large' file :wink:
    Thank goodness! :lol:
  • Quicktrip 81 Points
    Strange:

Mapupdater installed the new small JCV file (D3153100A.JCV, at 23.5 mb) in the .System/JCV folder on my 1450.

It also put a large JCV file in the same folder: D1279180A.JCV, at 751 mb. That's puzzling me -- I don't think anything similar has happened on previous updates.

In addition, because of a lack of space on the Nuvi, it installed the actual map files on the SD card. The largest of the three map-associated files it put there is gmapupdate.img, at 1.65 gb.

I had already obtained the other large JCV file mentioned in previous posts -- D3060100A.JCV, also 751 mb -- and put it on the SD card in the Garmin/JCV folder.

So now I have two 751 mb files on the SD card -- the new large JCV, and the gmapupdate file. I haven't a clue why this happened, nor what will happen when I try to use the Nuvi.

Any ideas what's going on?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    GarminLogic? Seriously, I really don't know but maybe it added the second large map because:

a. You already had the large JCV so it figured you'd want the new one as well
    b. You had space on the SD Card for it

What I don't get is why it didn't delete the previous large JCV...
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Installed the new map last night using mapupdter 3.2.2 with no issues.

No new roads that I can see around me in this version but Im not complaining I like new maps. :)
  • Aviator327 91 Points
    Installed the new mapupdate this morning using Map updater 3.2.2. Have been using the updater for the past several years for my 1350 and 1490T.
    This morning was different. In Step#2 the process bar did not display a full blue bar when the process was complete. During the Step#3 process for installing the map the process bar in Step#2 continued to scroll across the screen the entire time the map was being installed. First time I have seen that. The map installed on my 1350 with no errors.
  • T_Manero 31 Points

What I don't get is why it didn't delete the previous large JCV...
    I used GarminExpress to update my 1450LMT (first update since June 2012) and have these results.

(1) Like QT, the new map (2014.10) was installed to the SD card (wonder if the thousands of 1450 owners w/o SD cards are stuck as GarminExpress scan shows insufficient internal memory for 2014.10 map.

(2) The small JCV file was installed, but the update seem to have erased the prior Large JCV. I renamed the small file, downloaded D3060100A.JCV associated with 2014.10 and moved it the my garmin/jcv folder in the SD card. I will do some actual trip testing in the coming days.
  • team79 0 Points
    Just FYI I was able to update my Nuvi 680 to 2014.10 last night.
    Used Garmin Express to download the new file to my computer and then mapinstall to select all of North America and load the new map on a 8GB SD card I have installed in the 680.

No problems reported seems to have worked well, took only a few mins. for the initial download the Garmin downloader reported that it was running at about 5MBs building the new mapset took about 30mins. Did take about 90 mins. to load the new mapset onto the SD card (in the Garmin)
  • With the full mapset installed on the SD card, I saw no reason to put the large JCV file on the SD card, so I installed that on the device itself. Still have a lot of space left on the device (and the 8Gb SD card too).
  • T_Manero 31 Points
    With the full mapset installed on the SD card, I saw no reason to put the large JCV file on the SD card, so I installed that on the device itself.
    Thinking that internal RAM is faster than SD flash, I moved the large JCV file to the System folder, but on my laptop, it took 30 minutes to move the 769MB file.
  • t923347 432 Points
    You got to love USB 1.1. :wink:
  • T_Manero 31 Points
    You got to love USB 1.1. :wink:
    Actually, this was from SD flash to the Nuvi 1450 RAM that took 30+ min. :?:
  • popej 57 Points
    Internal drive of nuvi is a flash too.

There exist a hack to copy data directly form SD to internal memory, should be many times faster.