This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Traffic options

I've just begun using a Garmin 2455 LMT. I find the map display of traffic hard to decipher (regardless of whether I've zoomed in or out) and end up looking at the list of highways with current problems. But more troubling is that it seems info is provided only for highways. The result is that when it suggests an alternate route (involving surface streets) during rush hour, it tells me there are no problems there -- not because that's true; only because it has no data on those streets.

Is this something one just has to live with, or are there alternate traffic databases available without paying a fee? If so, how are they accessed?

Comments

• kenp 92 Points
    Right - you get traffic info only for the roads with sensors. The GPS assumes roads with no data are clear.

Major highway traffic info is available on state DOT web sites. Google maps shows traffic conditions. If you've got a tablet with wireless you can tap into those. Or a smartphone. I've been very impressed with the traffic info on my iPhone's built in map app. It covers a bunch of arterials as well as major highways. The ergonomics of the phone are pretty deadly for use as a nav device, but it's pretty accurate when it lays down a red line along roads on my regular commute. Enough to be worth a quck glance as I approach decision points for alternate routes home.

Ken
  • I've just begun using a Garmin 2455 LMT. I find the map display of traffic hard to decipher (regardless of whether I've zoomed in or out) and end up looking at the list of highways with current problems....
    This is another one of Garmin's "Improvements". The Yr-2011 models, including the 24x0s has a dedicated traffic color scheme where the roads are displayed mostly grey. This make the yellow and the red traffic conditions standout. In guidance mode, the yellow/red bands are added as a side band to the roads, very easy to see. I do not understand why Garmin abandoned this and replaced it with the hard to see scheme on the Yr-2012 models, including the 2455.
    ...But more troubling is that it seems info is provided only for highways. The result is that when it suggests an alternate route (involving surface streets) during rush hour, it tells me there are no problems there -- not because that's true; only because it has no data on those streets.

Is this something one just has to live with, or are there alternate traffic databases available without paying a fee? If so, how are they accessed?
    The standard FM traffic offered by Garmin, GTM25/26/25/36 etc have very little coverage of local streets and thus the alternative routing to local streets are pretty much useless. Rerouting to neighboring parallel freeways does work well.

The HD traffic receiver, GTM60, on the other hand does provide extensive data for major local streets. The traffic information on these local streets however is mostly misses. I think this is a limitation of how the traffic data is collected and disseminated. The alternative routing to local streets is thus not much more useful than the standard FM traffic. I use the local traffic info mostly for reference only to show where the choke locations might be.
  • BlebNevus 0 Points
    Thanks for these responses.

If I had a smartphone, I probably wouldn't have bought the GPS in the first place. So I'm dependent on Garmin for traffic.

I was under the impression that my model had HD traffic (Navteq's database?) rather than FM, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to drill into my settings to figure out the source of the traffic info and perhaps even select one option over another?
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    I was under the impression that my model had HD traffic
    Not sure where you got that impression. Here's Garmin's page:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-2455lmt/prod101883.html

Click the 3D Traffic link. Garmin makes it so confusing, they have changed the names of the traffic products twice in as many years. But you should have what is known as "Garmin Traffic", which is the old-fashioned RDS-TMC system that has been used by the Nuvi for a long time.
  • BlebNevus 0 Points
    Boyd: I did as you suggested. When you click on the "coverage" link for Garmin Traffic / 3D Traffic, it takes you to a Navteq page, which seems to support what I'd heard.

Is there a way to drill down into the settings of the GPS itself to find out more about the traffic database?
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    I gave up on the traffic feature long ago, and actually picked the 3550 recently because it doesn't have traffic and I don't want to waste my money on it. So you're asking the wrong guy. :lol:

The first thread in our General Information Sticky might be worth reading however.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Is there a way to drill down into the settings of the GPS itself to find out more about the traffic database?
    You'll need to have the Nuvi attached to the traffic receiver and powered on (unless you have some other power source, this will need to happen in your vehicle).

On the Map screen, press the Speed icon. On the next screen, press the compass/speed readout circle in the top middle of the screen for approximately 10 seconds. The Diagnostics Page should appear.

This maybe different on your Nuvi but on my 3597 I scoll down to the entry called Developer Info and tap that entry. On the Developer Info page I scroll down and there are 4 different Traffic related items. Tap on any of them and one or more should provide you with the Traffic Provider and other informaton. I can't guaranty any of them will give you the exact information your looking for however. :wink:
  • Is there a way to drill down into the settings of the GPS itself to find out more about the traffic database?

You'll need to have the Nuvi attached to the traffic receiver and powered on (unless you have some other power source, this will need to happen in your vehicle).

On the Map screen, press the Speed icon. On the next screen, press the compass/speed readout circle in the top middle of the screen for approximately 10 seconds. The Diagnostics Page should appear.

This maybe different on your Nuvi but on my 3597 I scoll down to the entry called Developer Info and tap that entry. On the Developer Info page I scroll down and there are 4 different Traffic related items. Tap on any of them and one or more should provide you with the Traffic Provider and other informaton. I can't guaranty any of them will give you the exact information your looking for however. :wink:
    Yes. Follow the steps provided by t923347. On the 24x5/25x5 series, you would click on the Developer Info, scroll down one page and click on the GTM Status. You should be presented with a pageful of GTM and traffic channel information. If you have HD traffic, one of the entries should show something like "10-HD run" or show that the receiver is scanning through the traffic channels. Some of them should identify themselves as HD traffic.

In addition you could go to the settings > traffic page. You should get the information on traffic providers and subscriptions. Mine shows Navteq lifetime (US, CAN). However, it does not identify if you have HD or not.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I think you need the GTM 60 receiver to get HD Traffic. My 3597 uses this receiver and it's the only one of my Nuvi's that receives HD traffic.

As shown in the link that Boyd posted earlier the 2455 comes with 3D traffic which is the former Navteq Traffic (Garmin keeps changing the names). The GTM 60 receiver is compatible with the 2455 so it's possible that BlebNevus' device came with HD traffic but he has to have that receiver or he is not going to receive HD Traffic. My guess is he has the normal traffic receiver which I believe is the GTM 36.

Easy to tell what receiver you have as it's normally shown on the vehicle cable.
  • BlebNevus 0 Points
    Thanks for the tip. I navigated to that page -- well-hidden! -- and found several lines that began with "Navteq" and included an indecipherable batch of letters and numbers. Nothing that's useful to me, and certainly no clearly labeled alternative traffic databases suggesting that I have a choice.
  • If you're not using the GTM-60 traffic receiver/charging cable the you don't have the capability of receiving HD traffic.

Your cable should have the model # label on the power plug.

The GTM-36 is not HD capable.
  • If your 2455 came with the HD traffic receiver (GTM-60) the model number on the box would have been Nuvi 2455LMHDT not Nuvi 2455LMT.
  • BlebNevus 0 Points
    The cord/antenna just says TA-20, but I'll just assume I don't have access to HD traffic. Which means, to come back to my original complaint, that I don't know what traffic is like on any roads except major highways. *sigh*
  • SergZak 340 Points
    The cord/antenna just says TA-20
    If your cable is marked as being a TA-20 power cable you do indeed have traffic with the 2455 LMT but unlike other traffic receivers that Garmin produces (GTM xx) where the traffic receiver is built into the cable, your receiver is built into the actual GPS unit's enclosure with the cable acting as a standard power cable and traffic receiver antenna. See:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={1523cad0-34d1-11de-76c5-000000000000}

Also see the following link for the traffic service differences:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a4755850-cd01-11e0-cf56-000000000000}
  • The TA 20 is for units with built-in traffic receivers. Your Nuvi's serial number should begin with 2LQ.
  • philhu 91 Points
    I have a 2595. The built in hd traffic is ok, but I also use the Smartlink Phone app to update the GPS unit over Bluetooth. It is MUCH better and more accurate.
  • Your 2595 has a built in traffic ?? What model TA (antenna/power) cable does it use?
  • cz9h3d 0 Points
    I just completed 1300 miles with a 2595 / GTM60 combo, and am not impressed. Drove from Vegas to LA to San Francisco, and the traffic was not very useful. You'd think bumper to bumper traffic on the 101 out of LA would register. Nope. Had many instances of highways not showing issues. I never saw anything for surface streets! Traffic with google maps is so awesome - I wish my Garmin could replicate that.

I've got the non-hd traffic on a couple other models. I had high hopes for the GTM60, but based on my experience I would not go out of my way (or spend extra $$) to get it.
  • Retzamed 0 Points
    Hi

I recently bought the Garmin nüvi 3597LMT and currently got a GTM 70 traffic receiver cable on the way to me in the mail. I'm mostly going to use the device while driving around in Norway (and other countries in Europe), but this August I'm heading to Orlando, FL and was wondering if anyone would know if the GTM 70 will be able to receive HD signals in USA, or would I still need a GTM 60 traffic receiver for that?