This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Express & 2014.20 - Download Failures?

Is anyone successfully downloading the 2014.20 map update using the Garmin Express app? I tried both the 2.2.17 and 2.2.20 versions to no avail. Downloads seem to be working fine at max ISP b/w, and then just errors out and offers the retry/ignore buttons. Retry does nothing. If I clear the 2014.20 cached content under ..\Program Data\Garmin\ I can then restart the download but it winds up failing again about 1/2 through the download. This was noted about 4 times last night before I gave-up for the evening. :x

This is updating a 2460LMT and previous map-updates using Garmin Express presented no such issues. :roll:

Comments

• dmjohn29 186 Points
    In the past I've had no problem updating with Garmin Express. This time, however, I had the same problem as you. I downloaded Garmin Map Updater and had no problems updating both my computer and my 1450.
  • jangeo67 86 Points
    I mirror the reply from dmjohn29. :(
  • t923347 532 Points
    If your having problems with Garmin Express, which lots of people are, then just use Garmin MapUpdater which few people have any issues with:

PC Version

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

MAC version

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Very true and good advice, but I'm becoming fond of the Garmin Express app and find it ironic that it's worked up until now. My gut tells me it's not the app that's broken, but something not done quite right with the 2014.20 update with regard to how it works with GE.

I always ask my (I.T.) customers - what's the last thing you did or changed? There you will almost always find the problem :shock:
  • t923347 532 Points
    True but have you considered that Garmin Express has been updated a number of times since you last used it successfully for a map update. :wink: So the last thing done or changed may well have been a Garmin Express update.
  • I tried Garmin Express a couple map updates ago (don't remember exactly which one), and it was pretty much a disaster. Said I didn't have enough space on my nuvi (I did), didn't seem to recognize the SD card that was in the unit. Could be because my 765T is considered ancient these days. I switched back to the trusty old MapUpdater and everything went fine. Both the map and the full-screen jcv file installed to internal memory without a hitch.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Interestingly enough, 2014.20 downloaded and installed flawlessly this afternoon, less than 24 hours later on the same computer, same Garmin Express app, to the same Nuvi. It makes me wonder if it wasn't a server-side issue on Garmin's end last night. Like I said, Garmin Express had been working pretty well for me since it's release. :roll:
  • t923347 532 Points
    As I posted in another thread:

"Problems with Garmin Express. It's being reported that if you phone Garmin Support there is a general message about problems with map updates not completely properly when using Garmin Express. According to the message they hope to have the problem corrected today."

Maybe they actually fixed the problem. :shock:
  • t923347 532 Points
    As I posted in another thread:

"Problems with Garmin Express. It's being reported that if you phone Garmin Support there is a general message about problems with map updates not completely properly when using Garmin Express. According to the message they hope to have the problem corrected today."

Maybe they actually fixed the problem. :shock:
  • jordanal 96 Points
    LOL - well, how ironic :!: Guess they did. 8)
  • djoy88 0 Points
    Garmin Express worked fine with my Nuvi 755T today. What I find remarkable is that this installation of City Navigator 2014.20 does not seem to have required a reset of Custom Routes!
  • shugsy5 0 Points
    A few hours ago, I successfully updated to version 2014.20. Garmin Express worked fine for me.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I have GE 2.2.13 and for some reason it won't update itself. When I click check for new updates it says an update is available and it will update the next time a launch the application but it never does.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I have GE 2.2.13 and for some reason it won't update itself. When I click check for new updates it says an update is available and it will update the next time a launch the application but it never does.
    My GE 2.2.17 was doing the exact same thing. I went to www.garmin.com/express and downloaded the latest version (2.2.20) and installed it right over-top the previous version (with the Nuvi disconnected). Once the GE icon showed back up in the SysTray, I proceeded to use GE normally - without even a reboot.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Here's what I personally found when updating maps this go-round...

I have reverted to using a Mac for pretty much all my PC needs. I found that Garmin Express gave me zero issues when updating maps on my current units (765T, 3790LMT, 3490LMT). In the past, I have tried MapUpdater on the Mac which always errored out at somewhere around 70% (in past attempts) of the download process. Using Garmin Express gave no errors & no issues. However, for the life of me, I could NOT find the option to also install the downloaded maps for use on the PC within Basecamp using Garmin Express. I really don't think it's there because believe me, I looked.

OTOH, MapUpdater does have that option. So I ended up running the map update process 4 times; once for each GPS (using Garmin Express) to update their maps and once (using MapUpdater) to install the map onto the PC.

I have since been informed that Garmin Express (at least for the Mac) seems to only give the option to install the maps onto the PC if the device you are updating does not have enough room for the selected update. Garmin logic at it's finest! :roll:
  • jangeo67 86 Points
    on ge go to device /advanced, on the bottom ,install to pc
  • Been trying to install this update since Monday AM. Express got to 77% and stalled. Has not moved for 24 hrs.

Tried mapupdater, got at least half way there, then stalled. Killed/restarted, says its updated. MyDashboard thinks its updated too.

Not sure what version Express

Win7, 9gbps DSL, 2595LMT
  • on ge go to device /advanced, on the bottom ,install to pc
    Great tip! Essential option buried in crummy location.
    This allowed me to complete the update, and then run MapInstall to put it on my device!
  • JRobert 81 Points
    The Garmin website kept looping over "need to install the Garmin plugin and restart the browser", despite that the plugin was installed and got re-installed at each re-attempt. I reported it to Garmin support, and downloaded Garmin Map Updater (thanks to you folks up-thread who suggested it). That download is in progress and apparently running normally so far.
  • JRobert 81 Points
    Followup: Map Updater finished the download and install without a hitch.
  • Here's what I personally found when updating maps this go-round...

I have reverted to using a Mac for pretty much all my PC needs. I found that Garmin Express gave me zero issues when updating maps on my current units (765T, 3790LMT, 3490LMT). In the past, I have tried MapUpdater on the Mac which always errored out at somewhere around 70% (in past attempts) of the download process. Using Garmin Express gave no errors & no issues. However, for the life of me, I could NOT find the option to also install the downloaded maps for use on the PC within Basecamp using Garmin Express. I really don't think it's there because believe me, I looked.

OTOH, MapUpdater does have that option. So I ended up running the map update process 4 times; once for each GPS (using Garmin Express) to update their maps and once (using MapUpdater) to install the map onto the PC.

I have since been informed that Garmin Express (at least for the Mac) seems to only give the option to install the maps onto the PC if the device you are updating does not have enough room for the selected update. Garmin logic at it's finest! :roll:
    Hey Serg, did you have any problems updating the 765T using Express? Like I mentioned above, the one time I tried it, it didn't go well. Said I didn't have enough internal memory. MapUpdater then installed the map file, as well as the full-screen junction view, without a hitch. :roll:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Hey Serg, did you have any problems updating the 765T using Express?
    Nope, no problem. Initially, GE reported that memory was getting low and I should think about adding an external SD Card. I stopped the process after that initial message, temporarily offloaded about five firmware update files that I keep on the unit (named so I can tell which versions they are) and re-ran GE which updated the unit fully (including the large ~750 MB JV file) with no other issues. I than moved the firmware update files back to their home location on the unit with space to spare.
  • jangeo67 86 Points
    Garmin just updated GE. now they have hidden PC install option again! if it's even there?
  • jangeo67 86 Points
    sussamb, i can't find it! new version 2.3.7.0 ?
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Newest Express for PC is 2.2.21 :?

If you simply want to download maps to PC it's here:

• jangeo67 86 Points
    Newest Express for PC is 2.3.7.0. i have it installed. it is completely different! sorry, i don't know how to do a screen shot of the program.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    edited August 2013
    Strange ... when I checked earlier it was 2.2.21 ... now Express is updating itself to 2.3.7.0 :?

In any case I still recommend MapUpdater :wink:

But PC install option is available in the new Express, under Map Update. Click on 'Show details' then 'Advanced Options' :)
  • jangeo67 86 Points
    I just did the same as you. your right! that what it shows, but mine updated itself to 2.3.7.0 when i opened it up from the system tray.( the Garmin gremlins are multiplying fast.)
  • sussamb 829 Points
    See my post edit above, Express still allows update to PC.