This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

3597 does not give voice warning/icon for traffic incidents?

Just got a 3597 mainly thinking the newer gps with hd traffic should be better than my very old 760 with fm transmitter, although i have been pretty happy with this one

Drove all around phoenix, az today in traffic and the 760 seems to be "seeing" traffic problems and warning me by voice and also an icon on the screen like it should

the 3597 may show the same traffic on the actual traffic screen if i open it
but i got not one verbal warning and no icons????? i have looked all over and if this is turned off in settings i dont know where

this is a deal breaker for me and i will have to return it if it does not do this like the old 760

traffic is the most important thing to me

i love the gps, the screen, the voice command, etc but this will not work for me

any advice/input appreciated

Comments

• sussamb 792 Points
    Assuming you do have a traffic version check that Traffic is turned on in Settings>Traffic?

Also look under Settings>Map and Vehicle>Map layers. I don't have your model but there may be a map layer turned off that affects the alerts, as you should certainly get a visual warning (see page 7 and 8 of the manual) and also an audible one according to this review http://gpstracklog.com/2013/05/garmin-nuvi-3597lmthd-review.html
  • traffic is definitely turned on in settings

i read those pages in the manual again, i agree it should have them

i had it set to route me a few miles somewhere today and it did come up and say there was traffic that was going to slow me down for that route

but just regular driving with no route programmed there was not one alert
    and the 760 gave me 4-5 alerts....

i have written garmin, hopefully i will hear something back by morning

i am terribly disappointed, i really like it and would like to keep it

it does have that split screen option where i can pull up traffic on the smaller screen to the right, surely this does not have to be open all the time to get alerts....
  • i should have added i dd check the map layers

i am going back through the whole thing again for the tenth time, will check settings and apps

i read that review you posted above, i see he does say it has traffic ammouncements for the route.....
    so not sure if he meant all the time or when you set a route, it did work today with a route set

i will definitely post back on what garmin says
  • There are traffic settings allowing you to choose the relative frequency of announcements.

• i had it set to route me a few miles somewhere today and it did come up and say there was traffic that was going to slow me down for that route

but just regular driving with no route programmed there was not one alert
    and the 760 gave me 4-5 alerts....

How can a PNG warn you that there's "traffic on the route", if you don't set a route?????
  • t923347 426 Points
    it does have that split screen option where i can pull up traffic on the smaller screen to the right, surely this does not have to be open all the time to get alerts....
    That is how it works on the 3597. There are no longer red, green, and yellow icons on the map screen. I don't know about audible alerts because I normally drive with the sound muted but you can have the split screen traffic information on the screen all the time with a route entered.

First of all insure that you have Traffic checked under Settings - Map & Vehicle - Map Tools. Then with a route entered, tap the 3Bar Icon in the lower right corner of the map screen, beside the Distance readout, and select Traffic. The Traffic information will remain on the screen until you tap the "X" to close it.
  • if that is how it works it is totally useless

it sounds like most of you only use this on trips or to go unknown places

i am driving all around this state to the same clients every month, i dont want to know where to go, i want to know if i am getting near any traffic so i can reroute
    or so if i am travelling on our 80 mph hwys i am aware that traffic is at a standstill 1-2 miles away

the old 760 gives me traffic warnings ANY time i am getting near traffic and i never, ever set a route

garmin has totally lost it

i have spent hours researching their different gps before i bought this one, their website is a mess, hard to do anything on it

i read review after review talking about how garmin has dropped this ability or that one, what in the world????
    i just bought the latest version of their top of the line auto gps, i expect this thing to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING any gps they made has done before it
    i expect ALL the settings and to have the ability to set it any way i want

i dont expect to be told that my brand new 2013 top of the line does not have the the ability to download the safety camera subscription, wtf??

if space is an issue why dont they have an sd card in them with all the settings on it?

trying to update the software on this thing was a nightmare, express would not work for the maps but does everything else
    i had to use express to get firmware updates and then use mapupdater to get the maps
    and express is still telling me i am not updated when i plug the thing into the computer

i REALLY wanted this gps to work for me, i have 2 cars and would have bought one for each
    i like the touchscreen and the voice command, they made a nice unit and then totally dropped the ball on the software, settings etc
    that is just ridiculous

from my research i get the impression garmin may be better than magellan and tom tom but they are not great and people are buying them by default, not because they are super happy with the units

i had reservations but i loved my 760, has been a great unit without a blip and i wanted to be impressed and like this unit

in almost every post i read about people upgrading an older unit to a new one they complained about losing some functions that they used all the time

and i read over and over again that google maps is better

when i update my iphone i dont lose a bunch of functions, they may change them and try to make them work better or smoother but i dont lose the ability to do things on it

i am so terribly disappointed that i wasted all this time, bought a micro sd card, had invishield put on the front, etc

it is going back to best buy and i will just buy a large android phone for my second cell line and run that

i hope garmin watches these forums and learns from them