This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

CN 2014.30 is now available from Garmin

CN 2014.30 is now available from Garmin. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I attempted to use GarminMapUpdater software as I'm still afraid of Garmin Express and after a number of clicks and webpages I was forced to use Garmin Express anyway. Looks like MapUpdater may have seen it's last day.

Comments

• Many thanks for advising the download is available.

I tried MapUpdater first and it is enabling me to download it.
    Quite slow though since I download to both the Nuvi and computer.
    I have high speed cable at usually 54Mbs but it's still slow. Probably due to the fact it's downloading to computer also.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    For those having problems getting to MapUpdater direct link is here for PC

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

and here for Mac

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg
  • Thanks for the heads up!

I've been using Garmin Express and since the updates to Garmin Express a few months ago I haven't had any problems. Based on your post I updated today, no issues at all with Garmin Express. This time I decided to install to my PC also, which took a little extra time, but it went smoothly and installed BaseCamp also. I haven't used BaseCamp yet, but will give it a try.

Garmin Express installed "Lower 49 States 2014.30" (my preference) on my Garmin 3597LMTHD and "City Navigator North America NT 2014.30" on my PC.

Thanks again!
  • t923347 432 Points
    The MapUpdater issue I had is just Garmin doing what Garmin does!!!

MapUpdater says that there is an "update available for PURCHASE" which of course is nuts as I have lifetime maps. What I missed was the very small print on the bottom of the screen that allows you to click and enter a Product Key. Once the product key, obtained from myMaps in your myGarmin.com account, is entered MapUpdater works fine. Why it thinks I don't have lifetime maps, I have no idea.

Anyway, I used Garmin Express and under advanced options I picked to load on the device and the computer so I could use the map update with Mapsource. That will be the last time I use Express.

This program continues to be one of the most brain dead software packages I have ever used. When I asked it to download the maps to both the device and PC it actually did 2, yes 2, complete downloads (actually showed 2 updates available). The first download updated the maps on the Nuvi. Then the whole download process started over again. Normally this would be a minor annoyance as I have a pretty fast internet connection at home in Canada. Here in Arizona I'm stuck with a 1.5MBPS download speed and the update takes hours to complete. Having to wait through those hours twice is just nuts.

As soon as I figured out what was happening I disconnected the Nuvi from the computer and closed Express. Nuvi works great and I'll wait for another day to get the maps on the computer.
  • Finally!.

Now lets hope my GPS has enough room to store this update. :)
    It has less than 100megs of available space.
  • t923347 432 Points
    The update was pretty much dead on as far as release date was concerned. I think exactly one week later than Tim's "projected" release date. Why it was weeks later than the City Navigator Europe release when it's usually the other way around remains a bit of a mystery, but what the heck it's out now. :wink:
  • I updated (to Nuvi & PC) using Garmin Express...it worked flawlessly!
  • dmjohn29 186 Points
    The MapUpdater issue I had is just Garmin doing what Garmin does!!!

MapUpdater says that there is an "update available for PURCHASE" which of course is nuts as I have lifetime maps. What I missed was the very small print on the bottom of the screen that allows you to click and enter a Product Key. Once the product key, obtained from myMaps in your myGarmin.com account, is entered MapUpdater works fine. Why it thinks I don't have lifetime maps, I have no idea.

I used MapUpdater, didn't get the fine print and updated my computer and 1450 without entering a key. Weird.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Wierd it is. :shock:

If I recall correctly a similar thing happened to me with the 2014.20 update as well. That and Garmin Express reporting I didn't have enough room on the 3597 to install the whole map update. At least GE figured out I did have enough room this time.
  • The MapUpdater issue I had is just Garmin doing what Garmin does!!!

I used MapUpdater, didn't get the fine print and updated my computer and 1450 without entering a key. Weird.
    Same here. No key needed on my 1690. But I did have to make a 2nd pass on the large JCV file to get all of it.
  • kenp 92 Points
    I also had the strange experience of Garmin Express working without a problem. It now has a progress display. Not as nice as Map Updater's, but serviceable.

The only snag is that I see no point in leaving this thing on and possibly running during the three months between updates, so I need to take a few minutes to uninstall it afterwards.

Ken
  • sussamb 814 Points
    Well it'll warn you of other updates also, software, voices etc :wink:
  • Garmin Express stalls at "downloading file 150 of 151" on my 1390MLT. Tried twice. Trying MapUpdater now. If that works, on to the 2460MLT.
  • Well, poop. The 2460 stalls at "Downloading file 193 of 194." Neither worked. Now what?
  • Still no go. Guess I'll Garmin Monday.
  • Resolved. Mac Garmin Express had two problems: Did not notice updates to itself, and the old version had a bug that caused the hang. They sent me a new version and it worked.
  • My update has been stuck on the file 193 of 194. Has anyone just let it update overnight? It's been suck for an hour now. I have a Mac. I heard people say they downloaded a Mapupdater program. Would I just unplug the Garmin and download the program and start again. It's supposed to be free.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    If you want to try that MapUpdater for PC is here:

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Mac version is here:

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

But have you read the post just above yours?
  • They sent him a new version if what? The Garmin Express? They are closed on weekends. I was going to let it run overnight and then try the Mapupdater tomorrow.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    Yes Express. But go with your plan, good luck.
  • Thanks. There were no software updates on the Express.