This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New 2013.40 map update too fast???

In the past, whenever I did a map update, it would take several hours. Today it was done in a flash.

Is this normal? Or did I not get the complete update?

Comments

• rus 0 Points
    In the past, whenever I did a map update, it would take several hours. Today it was done in a flash.

I meant 2014.30
  • I don't think that it's possible to do it as fast as I think that you mean. Have you checked the installed maps to see what version is on the unit?

If they are correct then I expect it was already updated last time you did an update. It does take a very long time even if it's already downloaded tot he computer.
  • rus 0 Points

I meant 2014.30

The 2014.30 map update took 35 minutes whereas in the past it would take several hours.

I show the map is 2014.30.
  • In the past, whenever I did a map update, it would take several hours. Today it was done in a flash.

I meant 2014.30

The 2014.30 map update took 35 minutes whereas in the past it would take several hours.

I show the map is 2014.30.
    30 minutes does seem fast even if it had for some unknown reason already downloaded the maps onto the computer. I wonder if it's all there.

Is it North America and is Canada there for example?
  • You don't indicate what model GPS you have or where you're located.

The 35 minutes download is dependent on the map size, model, and how busy the servers were when you downloaded.

Older Nuvi's with less features will download faster than a newer one with many features since there are many additional files to download. Also a map of the UK & Ireland will download much faster than say the map of North America.

If your unit is displaying 2014.30 and functions properly, then yes it's possible the download only took 35 minutes in my opinion.
  • It took around the same duration (about 40 min) to download US and Canada to my 3597 using Garmin Express.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Express does some downloading in the background before you even ask for it, so may already have a lot of it done before you ask it to install the map onto your GPS. That's probably why some are seeing what many would think to be unusually short download times :wink:

This from the Express webpage:

You'll always know when map updates are available, because Express automatically downloads map updates as they become available. So they're ready for you to install when you need them.
  • I really hope that Express only downloads when I want it to ... as I have to set it downloading overnight otherwise I blow my download allowance in a big way!

Does it depend on the settings for Update Schedule? I have mine set to Never and have not seen it downloading when I have not specifically requested an Install.
  • rus 0 Points
    I do have US and Canada on NT2014.30 map. I guess the previous download took so long was my Internet speed was .6Mbps and now I have 25Mbps speed.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    I really hope that Express only downloads when I want it to ... as I have to set it downloading overnight otherwise I blow my download allowance in a big way!

Does it depend on the settings for Update Schedule? I have mine set to Never and have not seen it downloading when I have not specifically requested an Install.
    If you've set it to never then it won't ... :wink:
  • kenp 92 Points
    Does uninstalling GE after the map is installed count as setting it to "never"? :)

Ken
  • Perhaps the 'schedule' facility starts to make sense. Is is true that 'download' does not imply 'install' then? I had always assumed that they were done as one. If I set the schedule to be overnight, will it do all the downloads overnight so that when I click to Install to SatNav AND Computer during the day it will download nothing more? (even though it is only for the Install that you can specify SatNav and Computer).
  • sussamb 936 Points
    That's how I understand it. Bear in mind when you 'install to PC' it's doing a map install that can be used by Basecamp. The 'download' is the necessary files to enable the map to be compiled, either for installing to the GPS or the PC or both.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    That is how I understand it, also.
    And my experience backs this up. Downloading takes place in the background - if so desired and the preference set for it - and installing is another matter; a separate function.
  • Thanks for that clarification. I will try when there is anything to update!
    I understand that 'install to PC' is for Basecamp - that is what I want!

After doing a download, can you do a 'Install to SatNav' first, and an 'Install to PC' later? Or does the first Install delete the downloaded files?
  • sussamb 936 Points
    No. The files remain on the PC.