This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Been away and come home to a different forum web page!

Not sure I like it either.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    It will grow on you. ;-)
  • makem 96 Points
    I assume there a particular reason to make the change?
  • t923347 432 Points
    It was planned but other factors forced it to be implemented faster than expected.
  • Not just me wondering what had happened!
  • werewolf 107 Points
    edited February 2014
    Huh? I thought I was in the wrong place. I've noticed that change and improvements usually means change for the worse and de-improvements.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Ah, an optimist.:-)
  • Supersnake 82 Points
    edited February 2014
    Let's put it this way. First impressions are that this site now looks cold and uninviting. Okay, I'll be open minded and see if it grows on me.
  • sussamb 814 Points
    Just so you know ...

A considerable amount of work had to be put in due the hardware/software failure of the old site by the owner, who was at the same time trying to get ready for his wedding/honeymoon ... which I think he is still now on.

Given the circumstances he did a fantastic job just to get the site back up and at least running so we could continue to use it. Once he's back and suitably refreshed (!) I'm sure there will be further improvements.
  • After a honeymoon, it may take some time for Tim to become "suitably refreshed".
    Let us be patient until his stamina is regained.
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    Just so you know... :) The site is actually owned by Scripps Networks/Shopzilla and Tim is the administrator.
  • @Boyd
    Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Back home now, going to take a couple of days before I'm fully back up to speed. But yes there will be more rounds of updates changes to work our the kinks.

As with any change there will be some who like it and some who don't. Those who don't tend to be a vocal minority. It takes everyone (including me) a few days to get used to the new format.

In the end a forum is largely about generating conversation, exchanging ideas, and helping others solve problems. From a statistical point of view (which I heavily track) the first couple of weeks seem to have been an improvement in many of the data points we track.
  • makem 96 Points
    A comment was made, "It will grow on you". I think that will be true. Like anything new, it takes a while before you appreciate change.

Thank you for all the effort you put into this forum from which I have gained a lot.
  • No it hasn't grown on me yet. In fact the more I use it, the more irritated I am. Nevertheless grateful for those who provide these helpful and supportive things. I just wish this, and so many others I use, would stop changing all the time. We don't want to keep endlessly relearning how to use something which we look at every few months for just a few minutes.
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    edited February 2014
    I think this forum has been pretty much the same since around 2007. I wouldn't exactly call that "changing all the time". :)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Stop changing all the time? Endlessly relearning? I'm sorry if my reaction to that is harsh @whiskywheels but this is the first time in over seven years that the forums here have had anything more than a tiny tweak to fonts.
  • I suppose that anyone aged 12, or with the mental faculties of someone that age or less would imagine that 2007 is a long time ago.
    "In the end a forum is largely about generating conversation" No sign of that so far.
    Why do people who clearly have no comprehension of a written statement insist on posting their vacuous responses online? Which part of the complete message is it you don't understand?
    Who knows? Thankfully I'll never be here again to find out.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited February 2014
    You know those maybe the most mindless,or should I say vacuous, statements I have read on this forum to date.
  • Hawk 81 Points
    Google Maps, now this. We're being taking over by aliens... :(
  • kenp 92 Points
    Whether they're aliens kind of depends on whether you're one of them or not. :)

Question about the new format. I miss the way the old format would show members post counts. Will that come back? Or did I miss an instruction on how to bring it up?

Ken
  • Tim 1481 Points
    That might come back, but honestly it is not high on the priority list right now @kenp.
  • kenp 92 Points
    Thanks. No need to raise its priority...just making sure I hadn't missed something.

Plus, if you bring it back after it was gone, that would add to the "changing all the time" ambience. :)

Ken
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I miss that feature of post counts too, but we are eventually more likely to move to more of a "merit" type system where people can reward others for good answers which will be reflected in their profile.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    That's how the Apple Disscussion Forums work. It gives "clout" to members who are helpful and also helps to establish trust.
  • kenp 92 Points
    A combination of post count and merit rating would be interesting.

Not making a request. Just thinking of another forum I belong to where post count and value to the other members are not necessarily correlated. :)

Ken
  • Jim Cook 31 Points
    I do not like the new format. And, No, it will not grow on me.