This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is it unlawful mounting GPS in windshield in New Jersey?

ramesh_india 0 Points
edited May 2014 in GPS Discussions
I am living in South Carolina and would like to drive to New Jersey by car and I have heard that mounting GPS in windshield is unlawful in New Jersey.

Will i get ticket for mounting gps on WS or shoud i buy any available air vent mount gps holder?

Thanks for you help!

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    edited May 2014
    Technically... yes. In practice, I have not known anyone who has been cited:

NEW JERSEY STATUTES AND CODES

39:3-74. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with cleaners
    Every motor vehicle having a windshield shall be equipped with at least one device in good working order for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield so as to provide clear vision for the driver, and all such devices shall be so constructed and installed as to be operated or controlled by the driver.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, sticker or other non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights adjoining windshield or front side windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other article required to be so displayed by statute or by regulations of the commissioner.

No person shall drive any vehicle so constructed, equipped or loaded as to unduly interfere with the driver's vision to the front and to the sides.
    - See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/new-jersey/title-39/section-39-3/39-3-74#sthash.IG01rK20.dpuf
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited May 2014
    Same here (I live in New Jersey). Personally, I don't like to have a gps mounted on the windsheild and use a home-built custom mount that places it lower. But I see people everywhere with them mounted on their windshields and have never heard of anyone getting a ticket.

What might happen, I suppose, is that you could get pulled over for speeding or running a stop sign, and the police officer might "do you a favor" and write you a ticket for an illegal GPS so you wouldn't get any points on your license.
  • roadster 96 Points
    Best advice is to place at the lowest point and in the corner, and you'll be fine, or tell us where you are going in NJ the town and will tell you how simple it can be to get from Vi to NJ and which highway will be best to get there?

I place mine on a metal arm I made and slides in the glove box lip just below the windshield and no longer bouncing around by the center lower dash Lol