This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

City Navigator NA 2015.10 and it's Large JCV file are Available

City Navigator NA 2015.10 Is Available for download. There are many reports of problems downloading and installing this update at the present time. If you want to give it a try, make sure you have the latest version of Garmin Express which was also released today. (2.3.3.0) or MapUpdater(3.3.3).

For those needing the large full screen Junction View file it's also available from:

http://download.garmin.com/support/2015_10/NA/JV/D3060140A.JCV

Comments

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    For some reason I am unable to install to the computer... Installed fine in the Nuvi thou...
  • t923347 532 Points
    Like I said "many reports of problems downloading and installing this update". You found what currently is the biggest unresolved issue.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    The issue I think is that the Install exe and cab file are not downloaded so it cant install it...
    Using mapupdater right now, and had to reinstall the key for it to recognize that I had a LM nuvi... so much fun with Garmin. :)
  • sussamb 829 Points
    I never download a map update immediately, with everyone trying the servers don't seem able to cope. I also ensure I have a full back up just in case. The best tip though is to download to a cloned card or usb stick. That way if something goes wrong your GPS is still working and the download is also much faster. Once I'm sure it's worked I then manually copy the files to my GPS.

I've never experienced an issue updating my maps by doing it that way. If you fancy trying the clone method details are here

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231
  • sussamb 829 Points
    v3.2.4 of Express just released, may help with some of the issues
  • t923347 532 Points
    It doesn't.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Now there's a surprise :-)
  • Downloaded and installed without any problem at 3 PM local Swedish time on my 3597 with full North American maps.
    Using latest Garmin Express: 3.2.4.0
    On unit only.
    One funny thing is that before the download I had 1,34 Gb free space.
    After install I have 1,87 Gb free space.
    So I got 530 Mb extra space after installation.
    45 minutes download time, average 1,9 Mb/s
    13 minutes install time, average 6,5 Mb/s

In "MY MAPS" it says:

CN North America NT 2014.10 3D
    CN North America NT 2015.10 All

• t923347 532 Points
    edited May 2014
    As I posted in the other forum that you showed this information, Garmin Express has deleted your gmapdem.img file so you no longer have 3D terrain maps on your Nuvi and that's the reason you have more space. See the other forum for a screenshot of what your myMaps screen should look like.
  • Thank you Rick :-)
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Just posted on the Garmin forums:

We are currently experiencing issues with the City Navigator North America 2015.10 map update. Our engineers are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask that you please run the map update at a later date.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    2015.10 is not even showing up on the Garmin website. I guess they removed it. I hope they're not going to mess with it so it won't download on the older units like my 276C.
  • From garmin blogs:
    --------------------------------------------

05/16/2014

A number of errors were experienced by Garmin Express users attempting to update City Navigator North America 2015.1 from 5/15/14-5/16/14. These issues should are now corrected. If you received an error please attempt the update again. Thank you.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Well ! The lost DEM map on my 3597 did NOT come back !
  • t923347 532 Points
    Also you still can't download the update to your computer. Remind me again, what got fixed here?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I posted this over at another forum so I thought I'd repost it here...

Even though I said I'd wait this map update out for a week or two, curiosity got the better of me...

But seeing as I have recent full backups of my units, I used GE for the update on my 3490 and also lost gmapdem.img. I've restored it to the unit from my backup and am now updating my 3790. We shall see if it's deleted from that unit as well. rolleyes

What I don't get is why it's being deleted in the first place as it was never touched by all of the numerous map updates in the past. If it's being deleted to be replaced by an *updated* gmapdem.img, then Garmin forgot to include it in the update package. This is just plain silly...once again, the end-user is testing for Garmin's lack of putting these updates through the wringer themselves.

I'll report back with my 3790's results.

EDIT: Well, after updating my 3790, it also lost it's DEM map. Restoring the DEM map from a backup seems to be the only way to get it back onto the unit at this point.

So at least on the 3790 & the 3490, it's highly probable that you *will* lose your DEM map so make sure to back it up (at a minimum)...better yet, create a FULL backup of your unit before attempting the map update.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    edited May 2014
    I hooked up my old 276C through the USB to my computer, and using Garmin Map Updater, because the old 276 is not compatible with Garmin Express, it's downloading the new 2015 right now. Will let you know if all goes well when it's finished.

What's with 2015 anyway? It's only May 2014.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    It ran all the way through - and then said "the program failed to install".
  • Buck115 86 Points
    Yesterday the installation failed on my 3597 and my computer. This afternoon I tried again and it installed, apparently without any issues on my 3597, but failed to install on my computer. I'll try again tomorrow and if it still fails I might try uninstalling Basecamp and the older map version, reinstall Basecamp, and attempt it again.
  • t923347 532 Points
    Re-installing Basecamp probably will not help. Currently there is an issue with the update process that makes installing the 2015.10 on to your computer impossible. The actual file needed by Basecamp is on your computer but not in the proper place. The procedure for getting Basecamp to use 2015.10 is a bit complicated but if you want we can detail it for you. On the other hand you could wait until Garmin fixes the issue and just run the download "to computer only" a second time.

Your probably going to have to download and reinstall the 2015.10 update anyway because you've lost the 3D Terrain map (gmapdem.img) from the 3597 by installing this current map update.
  • Buck115 86 Points
    Thank you very much for the feedback! I think I'll just wait until everything is fixed. My 3597 seems to be functional after the 2015.10 installation, so I'll leave it and BaseCamp alone for now.
  • t923347 532 Points
    Probably a good move. :-)

If you change your mind and to help others that really really really can't wait for the corrections from Garmin, here is how you can use 2015.10 with Basecamp:

1. Just attach your device which has 2015.10 installed on it and Basecamp will use those maps and not the ones on your computer. That's the easy way.

OR

2. To use the new maps with Basecamp without having your Nuvi attached to the computer you can do this:

NOTE - this assumes you picked the "download to Device and to Computer" option when you downloaded the map update.

- From Windows Explorer look on your computer for the folder C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Core Update Service\MAP-NA-2015-10\IMG\City Navigator North America NT 2015.10.gmap.

- copy the folder and it's contents to map folder on your computer. This folder is probably C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps

- Start up Basecamp and insure you pick the 2015.10 maps as the one you want to use

- You'll receive a warning that the map hasn't been unlocked.

- From the Manage Maps screen, select the 2015.10 maps and click "Unlock Online"

- read the Garmin webpage screen that will open carefully and with your Nuvi attached to the computer select Find Devices.

- when the 3597 is found, click on Retrieve Unlocks at the bottom of the page.

- you should now have unlocked maps that are useable in Basecamp.

Although this method works there is at least one down side and that is that the 2015.10 maps can not be deleted from the computer using normal uninstall programs like the one included with Windows or other 3rd party programs.
  • Buck115 86 Points
    Thanks again for the update and information. After I read your previous post I did some exploring and found the 2015.10 map folder as well as the old map location used by BaseCamp. I figured I needed to copy the new file to the location used by BaseCamp, but I would have still needed the additional information you posted. I'm in no hurry, so think I'll just wait, but thanks again!!!!
  • werewolf 112 Points
    I tried to download the 2015.10 to my computer using Garmin MapUpdater, but after it ran through the whole lengthly process it said that there was an error and maps were not installed. But now when I try to do it again MapUpdater gives me this message:

"Your maps are up to date. Would you like to reinstall nuMaps Lifetime Norh America (2015.10) with different installation options?" Choose "Yes" or "No, exit now".

Choosing Yes just leads to this message again:

"This program failed to install requested maps to your computer."

• donmontalvo 81 Points
    This is why I keep a 16GB micro SD card in my Garmin Nüvi 3597LTM.

So I can do a full backup before I upgrade, heck it'll hold 3-4 full backups. :)

Don
  • speed13b 81 Points
    I've updated to the 2015.10 on my 3597 and have lost the DEM map, I've tried re-installing with Garmin Express and Map Updater with no luck...and I don't have a backup of the DEM file. Does anyone know how I can successfully get the DEM file back on the nuvi??

Also...I have a 3790 with the DEM file...can I copy that to the 3597, is it the same file?
  • dmjohn29 186 Points
    I just updated my 2557LMT with no issues. Updating only the device took about 30 minutes with Garmin Express.

I checked the map and they finally updated for some new sections of Rt. 618 in Tampa. It only took about a year.
  • sussamb 829 Points

Also...I have a 3790 with the DEM file...can I copy that to the 3597, is it the same file?
    I believe so, or you could try the download again

• speed13b 81 Points
    I'm trying to re-load the update (again) with map updater (not express)...don't have a good feeling though...
  • t923347 532 Points
    Reloading the update will not result in you getting the DEM file back. There is some kind of error in the 2015.10 map update package that deletes the DEM file on your Nuvi but does not replace it. So until Garmin offers a download package that includes a DEM file that actually gets installed OR provides a separate DEM file that we can download to our devices simply reloading the update will do nothing to fix the current situation.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    edited May 2014
    I can't download directly to my old 276. I need to download to my computer and then transfer the maps over. Well, unless something changes next week, I'll have to go through the ordeal of calling Garmin tech support, which will no doubt be snowed under..."your call is important to us...wait time over 3 hours..."
  • I don't have any plans to leave the county in the next month or so, think I'll pass on this one. :D
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Besides that DEM image problem the update installs the map on the NUVI.
    The major problem is that it doesnt install on the computer.

I have installed it and now I will just wait for Garmin to fix their stuff so I can install it on my computer as well.
  • Dumb question: Does a model as ancient as my 765 even have the gmapdem.img file? I'm not seeing it on my unit.
  • t923347 532 Points
    Although the 765 can display 3D buildings, it can't display 3D terrain and therefore doesn't have a gmapdem.img file. See the SPECS at:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-765t/prod14926.html

3-D terrain view No
    3-D buildings and landmarks view Yes
  • t923347 532 Points
    Besides that DEM image problem the update installs the map on the NUVI.
    The major problem is that it doesnt install on the computer.

I have installed it and now I will just wait for Garmin to fix their stuff so I can install it on my computer as well.
    If you need the file on your computer now I posted the procedure in an earlier post:

NOTE - this assumes you picked the "download to Device and to Computer" option when you downloaded the map update.

- From Windows Explorer look on your computer for the folder C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Core Update Service\MAP-NA-2015-10\IMG\City Navigator North America NT 2015.10.gmap.

- copy the folder and it's contents to map folder on your computer. This folder is probably C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps

- Start up Basecamp and insure you pick the 2015.10 maps as the one you want to use

- You'll receive a warning that the map hasn't been unlocked.

- From the Manage Maps screen, select the 2015.10 maps and click "Unlock Online"

- read the Garmin webpage screen that will open carefully and with your Nuvi attached to the computer select Find Devices.

- when the 3597 is found, click on Retrieve Unlocks at the bottom of the page.

- you should now have unlocked maps that are useable in Basecamp.

Although this method works there is at least one down side and that is that the 2015.10 maps can not be deleted from the computer using normal uninstall programs like the one included with Windows or other 3rd party programs.

• popej 57 Points
    You can try DEM map from older CN NA releases, they are available here:
    http://download.garmin.com/RMUCNNANT2011_10/DEM/gmapprom1.img
    http://download.garmin.com/RMUCNNANT2010_40/DEM/gmapprom1.img
    http://download.garmin.com/RMUCNNANT2010_30/DEM/gmapprom1.img

It is the same file for all releases, size 879MB. I don't know if it cooperates correctly with current maps.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Just posted on the Garmin forums:

We have corrected some server side issues with the 2015.10 map update download which should help with server traffic. We are still experiencing some issues and are working to get these corrected as fast as we can. Some of the issues that were described in this thread are already in the works to get fixed:
    1) DEM map being removed from device during map update
    2) Map installation to the computer
    These 2 things have been reported and hopefully will be resolved fairly quickly.
    I apologies for an inconvenience this may have caused but we are trying to get this resolved.

Thank you
  • t923347 532 Points
    I still have to wonder how 1) and 2) got out of Garmin without being caught. Didn't anyone there test 2 of the most basic functions of the update? After 15 or so years in the systems testing, packaging and distribution business for a major Canadian bank, I know I'd be looking for a new job this morning if I headed the team that let these 2 things slip through the testing phase.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Maybe they are :-)

• Tim 1482 Points
    Thoroughness of regression testing often diminishes unnoticed when updates routinely go well.
  • popej 57 Points
    I still have to wonder how 1) and 2) got out of Garmin without being caught.
    I'd like to know about new releases in advance, so I trace manifest for City Navigator, that Garmin is publishing. Recent version is here:
    http://download.garmin.com/RMU/_download_manifests/NA/2015_10/ComputerInstallManifest.xml

It is interesting to observe, how this manifest changes. Several days ago Garmin removed from manifest files used to install map on PC. A problem easy to catch by anyone interested. Today these files returned back to manifest, but judging from different formatting of a paragraph, someone has added them manually.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    "NOTE - this assumes you picked the "download to Device and to Computer" option when you downloaded the map update."

I don't get any choice of options. All I can do is download maps to my computer, and then I can transfer the parts of the map that I want over to my (older model) 276C.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    I just ran through the download of 2015 again - and guess what, it worked!!! Now I have 2015.1 on MapSource (which is what I still use) on my computer, and all I need to do is transfer the maps I want to my GPS!
  • t923347 532 Points
    As a test of Garmin Express 3.2.4 and CNNA 2015.10 as of Monday May 19/14, I reinstalled the map update to my DEVICE ONLY. I can confirm that the update DID NOT JUST DELETE the 3D Terrain map GMAPDEM.IMG but instead installed a new file, as the original map update package should have.

On my 3790 the Gmapdem.img files changed from:

April 23, 2010 1.14GB

to

May 19, 2014 594MB

I also tested INSTALL TO COMPUTER ONLY and find that it does now work as well.

From these 2 test I would suggest that the option to install to Device and to Computer will also work properly now.
  • WAASup 186 Points
    @popej: and even after they were corrected in the manifest, the wrong version of one of the files was uploaded to the Garmin servers....
  • Against my better judgement I decided to go ahead and update my 765. I used the latest version of Mapupdater since I've never had good luck with Express. Everything went fine, no missing files on the GPS, and installation to both the device and computer went without a hitch.
  • SkipD 91 Points
    edited May 2014
    I just used Garmin Express 3.2.4 to load the 2015.10 map set to both my 755T and my Win7 pro 64-bit computer. The result seems to be just as hoped for. No problems noted.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points

On my 3790 the Gmapdem.img files changed from:

April 23, 2010 1.14GB

to

May 19, 2014 594MB
    Ouff thats quite a difference in size... I wonder what is different between the old one and the new one... :)
  • Quicktrip 81 Points
    Problem: After the new maps update, BaseCamp wouldn't open: "The program can't start because MSVCR90.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Platform: Problem occurred on two computers, desktop and laptop, both Windows 7 64-bit.

Attempted solution No. 1: reinstalled BaseCamp. Still wouldn't open; got the same error message.

Attempted solution No. 2: Ran Microsoft System File Checker to try to restore the "missing" file. Scan found no problems.

Solution No. 3: Googled "MSVCR90.dll" and "BaseCamp" and found various suggested solutions on other forums where this issue is being discussed. I took a chance and followed one of the suggestions:

After running a backup of my data in BaseCamp (File > Backup), I uninstalled BaseCamp. Then I deleted the BaseCamp folder, with all of its contents, from both of my computers (Program Files (x86) > Garmin). Reinstalled BaseCamp, and it opened fine.

Apparently the "missing" .dll file was never really missing.

I'm not recommending this solution. I'm always wary of ham-handedly deleting program files. But it seems to have worked for me, so I'm throwing it out to anyone else around here who's been nailed with this issue.
  • Quicktrip 81 Points

P.S.: My device is a Nuvi 1450.