This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Best settings for calculating area of a land

Dear experts,

I have been using Montana 600 for calculating area of planted rye. But I am struggling what are the best settings for such a task. For example in the track record method I can choose between Auto, Distance and Time.

Comments

• Boyd 2027 Points
    edited June 2014
    You should get the most accurate track is you set it for time with an interval of 1 second. The GPS chipset provides one position update every second, so when you set it this way you are capturing all the data available.

But don't expect too much, since the Montana is a consumer device that was not designed for surveying. In the following test my Montana was sitting stationary with a clear view of the sky and recording one point every second. Its actual location was at the center of the bullseye, but look how much variation there was to the points it recorded.

A better stategy would be to record waypoints at each corner of the field using waypoint averaging. Even though there is a lot of variation in the points recorded above, if you averaged them, they would be very close to ground zero. So if you create waypoints for each corner, import them to your computer and then connect them, you should have a more accurate representation of the field.

Personally I would use Globalmapper for this, but that is an expensive GIS program that I already own. Not sure whether Basecamp can do this because I don't use it very often.
  • ddabcd277 47 Points
    Thanks Boyd. I forgot to mention. I need at the end a shape file from the createn track.
    But don't expect too much, since the Montana is a consumer device that was not designed for surveying.
    Yeah, but for agriculture I think the accuracy is enough.
    You should get the most accurate track is you set it for time with an interval of 1 second.
    "
    Thanks I though the same but I wasnt sure. But there is a problem in this way because the left track may have curves, corners etc in some parts. The deviation you mentioned. Then after I import the track into BC I need to...straighten...the track in those areas in BC. (just thinking the overall methodology) Is there such an automatic function in BC?
    A better stategy would be to record waypoints at each corner of the field using waypoint averaging.
    True this is a good strategy.

Can you recomend free softwares for converting gpx to shape other than DNR GPS?
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Not sure about free software. There are a couple open source GIS packages but I have never really looked into them because GlobalMapper does everything I need. You might spend a little time looking at this site: http://freegeographytools.com

ArcGIS also has a home edition. It isn't free but $100/year isn't too bad: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-home