This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can I update my GPS maps with a tablet?

werewolf 107 Points
edited July 2014 in GPS Recommendations
When Garmin comes out with map updates I always download it to my (Windows 7) laptop and then send it to my (276C) GPS. Suppose I don't have my laptop with me. Is there any way to do that with an (Android) tablet?

Comments

• Boyd 1953 Points
    No, Garmin only supports Windows and MacOSX with their software. You could use a tablet that runs the full Windows operating system (like the Surface Pro), but not Android or iOS.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Even then you'd need a way of connecting your device to the tablet or allow access to a card so you could get the maps into to the GPS.
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    Not sure what you mean there. I have an HP Slate tablet that runs Windows 7. It can run Basecamp, Mapsource, whatever. It's a full Windows computer in a tablet. It has a USB port and an SD card slot. There are other tablets that run full versions of Windows too.

• sussamb 764 Points
    Sure there are, but I've got a tablet without a USB port or card slot, so even if I downloaded a map I couldn't transfer it to my GPS.
  • patruns 10 Points
    They make tablets without (micro) USB ports these days?
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Whether they still make them I don't know ... but they did :-)
  • Boyd 1953 Points
    If you were just trying to prove something, maybe you could run a screen sharing/remote access app on your Android tablet, connect to your computer back home and run the map update software. Then when it completes you could transfer the map file to the tablet, then to the GPS using a card slot or USB port.

But really, how often do you need to do a map update when you're away from home without a laptop? :)
  • sussamb 764 Points
    edited July 2014
    Agreed, and given the problems that occasionally happen when you update maps/software I wouldn't risk it if I was away even if I could :-)