This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

City Navigator 2015.30 NA out now.

Saw on Garmin Express 2015.30 NA is out now.

Comments

• Downloaded and installed without any problem in 57 minutes on a 30 Mb/s VDSL line. Average download speed to me in Sweden was 2 Mb/s. Nuvi 3597 and Windows 7.
  • rocket scientist 196 Points
    edited November 2014
    Not much discussion about this release. Usually the forums are buzzing after a new map release. :D

I just installed this, still using Map Updater (v 3.3.3 I think). Seemed to work fine.
  • alanb 556 Points
    edited November 2014
    Yes, I agree. Not many problems reported for this update. I actually used Garmin Express this time to update all 3 of my nuvi's, although I used cloning so I could control what was going on. But in the past I have avoided Express because of all the problems. I decided to give it another chance for this go-around, and everything worked as it should. Hopefully Garmin has finally stabalized this product, at least for map updates. I still see a lot of complaints on their forum, mostly involving program install issues and the support of fitness devices with the interface to Garmin Connect
  • DerekW 232 Points
    road reopened
  • rocket scientist 196 Points
    edited November 2014
    I first tried Express a couple years ago, soon after it was released. It claimed that I didn't have enough space on my 765 for the new map. I knew that was nowhere near true. Not only that, there was an empty SD card in the GPS that Express didn't detect. I've since installed 7 or 8 NA updates, complete with full-screen junction views, and I still have 500Mb or so of empty space.

I keep thinking that I should give Express another try, but as long as MapUpdater keeps working I think I'll stick with it.

Edit: Another think I didn't like about Express was that it auto-loaded and was always running in the background. Seems kind of silly for something I use 3 or 4 times a year. I know it doesn't take a ton of resources, but all those small auto-loading programs can add up to a noticeable drain on RAM.
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    I have never used Express, but I recall a recent thread where someone mentioned that the new version has an option to to run in the background. Personally I am still using maps almost a year old. My internet connection is slow and updating can be painful. And really, map updates just don't interest me….
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    edited November 2014
    I have never used Express, but I recall a recent thread where someone mentioned that the new version has an option to not run in the background. Personally I am still using maps almost a year old. My internet connection is slow and updating can be painful. And really, map updates just don't interest me….
  • Does anyone know if a link to the large JCV file has been posted somewhere? I did a forum search and couldn't find it. I just updated to the 2015.30 maps on my nuvi 1450, and the JCV file size is 25,431 KB. Usually I have to go get the full JCV file somewhere and overwrite the small one GarminExpress automatically loads.
  • Thanks! I downloaded it, and it works well. Now my JCV file size shows as 834,250 KB.
  • t923347 532 Points
    edited November 2014
    The keys to finding the Full Screen Large JCV file are in 2 fields of the URL posted by sussamb above. The first field is the map version number (2015_30 in this case) and the second field is the file name for the JCV file (the 9 character.JCV name at the end of the link).

If Garmin doesn't change the location and file naming convention in the future, the large JCV file for:

2015.40 - will be found at http://download.garmin.com/support/2015_40/NA/JV/D3060170A.JCV

2016.10 - will be found at http://download.garmin.com/support/2016_10/NA/JV/D3060180A.JCV

2016.20 - will be found at http://download.garmin.com/support/2016_20/NA/JV/D3060190A.JCV

So the key to getting this file is to replace the map update version number with the number that matches the version of the maps you have downloaded and to add 10 to the 2 digits to the left of the A in the file name from the previous version number.

For the past few map updates, Garmin has made the new Full Screen Large JCV file available either the day that a new map update was released or the following day. If you enter the URL for the next map update and it isn't available yet you will receive a "file not found" message. Once the file is available, entering the URL will begin the download process.
  • I am new to this forum and need help in upgrading my Garmin 1390T, it has still installed and using a two years old software (2012 NAVATEQ) city map. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    edited January 2015
    Do you have lifetime maps? If so just run Garmin Express or MapUpdater and update the maps. If you don't you will need to purchase them, although you may find it more cost effective to buy a new GPS.
  • No, do not have lifetime maps, only lifetime traffic. It seems that the upgrade map update cost just as much as the original price of the GPS.
    Thanks for the response.
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    Just to clarify, the 1390T would not have included lifetime maps. Models with lifetime maps have "LM" in the model number (ie: 1390LMT).

Sussamb makes a good point, it's not very cost-effective to add lifetime maps to an older device like the 1390. Have not shopped for them myself, but Garmin's list price for City Navigator lifetime updates is $90. You might find it for as little as $60 on sale somewhere, not sure.

OTOH, just a quick look at the GPSCity website shows a factory refurb Nuvi 40LM for $66 and a refurb 2360LMT for $79. Garmin refurbs have the same 12 month warranty as new units. Both of these include lifetime update and the 2360 has lifetime traffic.

There are a number of other options under $100 as well, some new and some refurb. I used to have a Nuvi 1350, a close cousin to your 1390. Honestly, it wasn't one of Garmin's best models IMO. If you want lifetime maps it makes more sense to get a unit that includes them along with a warranty.

Realize that lifetime map subscriptions are locked to the device for which they are purchased and cannot be transfered. So if you buy lifetime maps for an old device and it dies a few months later, you're out of luck. :(
  • Boyd, you have a very valid point about the 1390T being an old model, in which is not worth paying a high price for just the map upgrade, while there are other GPS with the lifetime map and lifetime traffic update for the same price of a single map upgrade.

The only desirable feature for me was/is the Bluetooth function of the 1390T. I also own a 2557LMT, but this one lacks the Bluetooth.

Thanks.
  • alwaysriding- that was one reason I got the 2595LMT model. Has Bluetooth and lifetime maps and traffic. I got a refurb unit for around $110.00. I figure it has the same warranty as new, and someone actually "checked" the unit out first to make sure it was operating properly. It was a big cost savings.
  • Hi all,
    I am new here and this may of been asked before. I have a Nuvi 3598 with lifetime Western Europe. I am off to the USA this year and was going to pay for the North America maps but I see they don't contain lane assist or junction view. It says this is only on pre loaded maps. I have lane assist and junction view on my Western Europe maps and find this useful. Is there anywhere I can get these features without having to buy another sat nav after paying £300 for the unit I have.
    I am medium in technical ability.
    Many thanks
  • Boyd 1999 Points
    edited January 2015
    I don't think it's possible to have junction view, 3d buildings or 3d terrain unless you purchase a device that already has them installed. However lane assist and speed limits are part of the map itself, so those will display if you purchase as US map.

You might consider buying another GPS when you arrive here in the US however. If you can settle for one of the more basic models, the price will be similar to purchasing the map alone (see my post above). And you'll have junction view plus lifetime updates for the next visit.

If you do want the bring the 3598 however, you could purchase the Lower 49 map by download, as long as you aren't going to Canada. It's the cheapest US map, but it cannot be updated.

Also, if you have a traffic receiver, I don't think it will work in the US. That might be another vote in favor of getting a US device. Do you have a friend in the US who could order one of the inexpensive refurb models for you and keep it until you arrive?

If not, you could have a look at the Best Buy and WalMart websites. They are located almost everywhere in the US. I believe they have an option to order special items (like refurbs) and have them shipped to the store for pickup. If comparing prices, be sure to consider sales tax, which is charged in most cases in the US. I believe Florida has a base tax rate of 6% but localities can add their own tax.

Enjoy your visit!
  • t923347 said:

The keys to finding the Full Screen Large JCV file are in 2 fields of the URL posted by sussamb above. The first field is the map version number (2015_30 in this case) and the second field is the file name for the JCV file (the 9 character.JCV name at the end of the link).

If Garmin doesn't change the location and file naming convention in the future, the large JCV file for:

2016.20 - will be found at http://download.garmin.com/support/2016_20/NA/JV/D3060190A.JCV

So the key to getting this file is to replace the map update version number with the number that matches the version of the maps you have downloaded and to add 10 to the 2 digits to the left of the A in the file name from the previous version number.

For the past few map updates, Garmin has made the new Full Screen Large JCV file available either the day that a new map update was released or the following day. If you enter the URL for the next map update and it isn't available yet you will receive a "file not found" message. Once the file is available, entering the URL will begin the download process.

Using Garmin Express, my 1450 was updated with the SMALL JCV file for Map 2016.20. The cited (expected) URL for the large JCV file shows "File Not Found". Any advice to find the large JCV for 2016.20 ? Thanks.
  • t923347 532 Points
    Garmin no longer makes that large full screen JCV file available for download. There is a member at poi-factory.com that has made the large file available for download as a zip file however. Look for a post dated Sun, 08/09/2015 - 6:47am in a thread at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44985?page=2

The file is in 4 parts.
  • t923347 said:

Garmin no longer makes that large full screen JCV file available for download. There is a member at poi-factory.com that has made the large file available for download as a zip file however. Look for a post dated Sun, 08/09/2015 - 6:47am in a thread at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44985?page=2
    The file is in 4 parts.

Thanks, but the files have been removed. The posting also has discussions about the legality of sharing files, and that may have spooked him into removing them.
  • Found a "friendly" who posted 2016.20 D3060190.JCV:
    http://www.poi-factory.com/node/45264
    10/18/2015 10:25AM
    2 file download, requires WinRar to decompress files.