This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Caculating height gain on my Oregon 650, using BaseCamp

I cannot work out how to find the height gain when calculating a route in BaseCamp. I have done a route on my PC, downloaded it to my device: it tells me my mileage, but I fail to find the total height for the walk.
Grateful for help.
Geoffhillwalker

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited December 2014
    I'm not sure there is a way, either in Basecamp or on your GPS, of knowing the total height gain for a route. No doubt someone will now tell me it can be done ;)

If you're in the UK you could load a route into a site like www.bikehike.co.uk and it will give you total height gained, I'm sure there will be others.
  • privet01 220 Points
    edited December 2014
    You can use googleEarth to quickly sketch out a route and look at the elevation profile. It, and likely all the other methods have issues peculiar to them. In Google Earth for instance, when going over bridges, the elevation shown is actually the ground below, not the bridge height. There are quite a few other sites you can do the same at. You can also export/import your track from basecamp to GoogleEarth

And then once you compare those figures to what you come up with when actually using your device you may think there is something entirely wrong with one or the other. But the errors have more to do with the resolution of the data collection on your device compared to interpolated map data from elevation points that may be quite some distance apart.

• Thank you for your help, my route tomorrow may be 3000ft of elevation or a lot more ! Very easy to calculate in Quo, but with the expense of the new All UK 1:25K card I feel obliged to stick with BaseCamp
    Geoff