This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Easy Route Shaping

Thought this might be worth a thread of its own… Garmin just introduced the Dezl 570 and 770 trucking devices at CES and one of the new features is "easy route shaping". I don't think any of the Nuvis have this feature yet, but perhaps it will be added when (if?) the Advanced or Prestige series are updated.

From Garmin Support:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={79f34ed0-97b9-11e4-6479-000000000000}

What is Easy Route Shaping on my dezl 570 and 770 and how do I use it?

01/08/2015

On the dezl 570 and dezl 770, the calculated route can be manually shaped to change its course. Adding a shaping point will allow the calculated route to take a certain road or through a certain area without adding a via point or destination to the route.

To manually shape the route:

While in a route, touch anywhere on the map

Select a location on the map
Touch (+) to add another location
When you have finished shaping the route, touch Save

This will shape the route to the way you want it to go.

Here's a screenshot taken from Garmin's video:

You can see the whole video here (although it doesn't actually show route shaping in action).

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Unless my nuvi breaks I think this would be the only function that would make me consider changing my nuvi. Let's hope it makes it to the nuvi line up :)
  • alanb 539 Points
    If I understand this correctly, they are talking about adding a shaping point to the active route. The process they describe eliminates several steps, but isn't anything that can't already be done on my 3597.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    True, but this seems very easy, a tap of the screen then hit save, something that could be done while driving .... I certainly wouldn't attempt to go through the current system to add a shaping point unless I was stopped.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Agreed, although trying to pan the map and select a point while driving isn't a good idea, no matter how many steps have been eliminated in the process. It is still a "pull over and stop" operation IMO.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes, I agree if it involves too much interaction ...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You guys are such wimps. I could easily do that at the same time as I eat a cheeseburger and send a text message. >:)
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Kinda hard to know that theres a road there if when you zoom out they disappear...

Now seriously what is the practical use of this feature??
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Zemartelo said:

Now seriously what is the practical use of this feature??

I think it is aimed at addressing the issue being debated in this thread-- user compliant GPS routing.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    My Nuvi 2699 LMTHD was recently updated to firmware v 6.30 and I have this screen which shows a reference to route shaping, but I cannot actually add any shaping points to an established route. Perhaps, as alluded to earlier, a feature to be added in a future update??? Has anyone found any other videos or pictures showing shaping points in action?

photo ChangeRouteScreen.jpg
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Update: with reference to my earlier post regarding shaping points. It appears I can add shaping points to a route via Trip Planner. Just can't do it the Dezl way. Live and learn.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    That's a nice improvement, it's something I had on my original GPS, a mio, many many years ago. Always wondered why that option wasn't there on Garmins!

Would be great if a software update introduced that on the remaining nuvi lines that use the updated trip planner, but given Garmin's previous record I can't see that happening.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited January 2015
    When using Trip Planner to add shaping points -

To create a route with shaping points on the device:

Touch Apps
    Touch Trip Planner
    Touch New Trip
    Touch Select Start Location to add a beginning waypoint
    The Start Location is not necessarily the point from where you'll be leaving. The Start Location will be the first point you would like to travel to.

Use the various search options to locate the desired starting point
    Touch Select
    Touch the (+) icon to add additional waypoints to the trip
    Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total waypoints
    At least three locations must be selected to create a shaping point

Touch the orange flag icon next to a waypoint to change to a shaping point
    Some devices require the trip to be saved before this step

Touch Next
    Touch Save
    Enter a name for the trip
    Touch Done

A new route with shaping points is now saved to the Trip Planner.

Up to 125 shaping points can be added to a trip.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited January 2015
    If that was aimed at my comment I was really referring to the ability to skip next destination and shaping points that you mentioned. The ability to add shaping points has been on the 2013 on models for a while, and of course they also accept shaping points sent by basecamp.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @sussamb - no, not directed at your comment. I haven't purchased a new Garmin in years and Trip Planner is new to me. Just threw the process out there for others. Delete it if you feel it is misplaced or misguided.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Not at all, it's an excellent description of the process ;)