This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Express

Garmin began rolling out Garmin Express v4.0 today. If you would like to upgrade to the latest version, Check for Application Updates on the Settings page within the Express application.

Changes Include:
• A new home screen lets you view all your devices in one place. Select a device from the home screen to view a device's dashboard.
• Garmin Express leads you through updates and other tasks with a step-by-step process, with clear status notifications along the way.
• Each device dashboard offers relevant menu options, based on device type (automotive, fitness, etc.), making it easy to find what you need.

Comments

• I'll let someone else go first and give it a try. ;)
  • sussamb 829 Points
    edited February 2015
    Note I've just seen a comment on the Garmin forums that implies the latest Express is not compatible with XP.
  • sussamb 829 Points

I'll let someone else go first and give it a try. ;)

Just done a test update to a cloned device and it all went smoothly.
  • Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Trying to do a re-install of 2015.40 after it failed yester evening, got it on the device but cannot find an option to install on the PC on the re-install process under 4.0.8.0. It was there on the original install!!

Now Basecamp happily informs me that I have a map on the device that will work much better on the PC and to fire up Express!

Grrrrrrrr.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    If you can't see it then just create a cloned device and use that to fool Express. I'm away at the mo but seem to recall the option being there the second time I ran Express?
  • t923347 532 Points
    If there is still an option to reinstall to P C only in the newer versions of Express, I'm sorry but I can't find it. I use Garmin Mapupdater instead where the option is under Install Options.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    I think Express has it under Install Options also. My understanding was that in 4.0.8 it was always present.
  • alanb 556 Points
    t923347 said:

If there is still an option to reinstall to P C only in the newer versions of Express, I'm sorry but I can't find it. I use Garmin Mapupdater instead where the option is under Install Options.

I can't find it either on 4.0.8.0.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Well I know I used it! Away for a couple of days so I can't check where it is.
  • Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Just to clarify, the install options are offered on the initial install, they are not offered under a re-install. This is the latest version.

I've tried deleting the PC downloads of 2015.40 but makes no difference.

Will look at whatever cloning is.
  • t923347 532 Points
    sussamb said:

I could not find it in 4.0
    7 and, if I recall correctly I could not find it in 4.0.6 either.
  • Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Still stuck, fault raised with Garmin, will now wait to be fobbed of in the knowledge of how pleased they are to have been able to respond to my issue (or am I being cynical??).
  • sussamb 829 Points
    edited March 2015
    t923347 said:

sussamb said:

I could not find it in 4.0
    7 and, if I recall correctly I could not find it in 4.0.6 either.
    Just done a check as back home, aren't you guys seeing this (v4.0.8)

• t923347 532 Points
    edited March 2015
    Yes when a "new" map update is available. But if you install the map and then realize you forgot to load it to your computer you don't get any of the install options once the map update no longer shows as an available update. The only available item, the second time around , is "reinstall maps" which, if you select it, goes directly into downloading to the Nuvi.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Yes, you may need to use a clone to get that option back.
  • DerekW 232 Points
    I could not get the clone process to work - I copied the file you suggested to a Garmin directory on an SD card and it was not recognised.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Was the card formatted FAT32? If not that will cause it not to be recognised.
  • t923347 532 Points
    sussamb said:

Yes, you may need to use a clone to get that option back.

Actually I use the clone method.

I have just learned to use Mapupdater if I need to reinstall to other than the device as it provides the install options fine.

• sussamb 829 Points
    That'll work too :D
  • t923347 532 Points
    Yes it works, but GE should have that same functionality and unless I'm missing something, it currently does not.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Agreed. Garmin have said they will change this in an update, not sure when that will happen though.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Just for those who don't subscribe to Garmin's Forum this is what has been said about Express v4.0.x and the ability to download maps to your PC/mac:

The ability to install maps to the computer using Garmin Express 4.x has changed slightly.

The option to install maps to the computer when performing a reinstall is not being offered at this time if the full coverage of mapping had previously been installed to the GPS device or a SD card. A request has been made to add this functionality back to Garmin Express but until then, if maps must be installed to the computer and this is not a first time update, ie a reinstall, an earlier version of Garmin Express (3.2.x) will need to be installed on the computer to do so.

However, if you are installing the map for the first time, you can click “View Details” for the map update and select the option to install maps to the computer.

If you previously installed a smaller region and would like to install maps to the computer, this can be done by selecting “Change Map” and then going into the change region selection and choosing “use map with Garmin BaseCamp.”
  • Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Needs to be 3.2.29

http://download.garmin.com/omt/expre...minExpress.exe

[quote]
    Any earlier versions of express will no longer install due to changes with the required Microsoft components.
    [endquote]

Mine's installing now thankfully. Gave up with 4.0.8.0 and could not get mapupdater to offer anything apart from purchasing new maps
  • willyboy 68 Points
    DerekW said:

I could not get the clone process to work - I copied the file you suggested to a Garmin directory on an SD card and it was not recognised.

To use the Clone Method, you need to copy the XML file to the SD card that's inserted into a Card Reader in your PC, or in SD adapter connected to your PC through a USB port, Now see if it is being recognized.
    The SD card must be formatted to Fat32. If by chance the SD card is bad, you can use a Flash Drive and create A Garmin folder on it containing the GarminDevice.XML file there. The Flash Drive would be my preferred method.

• Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Got it right about Garmin Support
    [quote]
    Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
    I am happy to help you in regards to installing your maps to your PC using Garmin Express.
    This simple application will enable you to update and manage the unit from one location.
    Before you start please ensure you have the device connected to the computer via a USB cable.
    1. Click http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
    2. Click Download for Windows
    3. Click Run
    4. Click Run
    5. Accept the terms then click Install
    6. Click Launch
    7. Click continue
    8. Enter your email address then save device
    9. Click show details
    10. Click Advanced
    11. Select computer only from the drop down list
    12. Click Install now
    13. Accept the agreements and click continue
    14. Click continue
    The updates will now be installed to the computer
    [endquote]

Did they even read my post that re-install no longer offers advanced options?

Good job 3.2.29 worked!
  • t923347 532 Points
    No, it doesn't look like they did read your post as those instructions look like they work fine for an initial install of the map update.
  • Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Follow up answer
    [quote]
    Hi Chris,
    Thank you for emailing Garmin Europe.
    There is currently a bug in version 4.0.8.0 whereby mapping is not being re-installed and installed to a computer. This is being worked on.
    [endquote]

and a load of waffle thanking me for my suggestion of using 3.2.29 and asking me to submit it to their bright ideas department though it may not be acted upon.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    edited March 2015
    Been a sticky on their forum since 26 February https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?213652-Installing-Maps-to-the-Computer-with-Garmin-Express-4-x which is where the quote came from in my post above.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Not sure what's changed, and there's been no update to Express, but I just went to reinstall a map and got the option to send the files to the PC for Basecamp to use.
  • Chris_Sav 127 Points
    Put 4.0.8.0 back on and it went straight into the reinstall without offering the options
  • sussamb 829 Points
    v4.0.13 now released

Changelog:

•Fixed a crash affecting Danish users.
    •Fixed an issue that prevented changing installed Courses on a device.
  • J.D 82 Points
    v4,0,15 now released.
  • hgc 10 Points
    Garmin Express v4.0.15.0
    What changes includes in this version?
    Best regards
    hgc
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    GE V4.0.16.0 in US

• sussamb 829 Points
    edited April 2015
    Not just in US, Express is worldwide :)

4.0.16 changelog is 'stability improvements' whatever that means!

Note this is PC version. mac version remains 4.0.14
  • J.D 82 Points
    Now v4.0.17,0
  • BAVC10 81 Points
    Garmin Express v4.0.17.0
    This version includes the following changes:
    • Fixed issue affecting automatic Garmin Express application updates

• Stability improvements