This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

CN NA 2016.10

CN NA 2016.10 is now on the Garmin servers so should be released in around a week.

Comments

• sussamb 936 Points
    Just been released
  • Chris_Sav 129 Points
    Don't forget to go into install options and select device & P.C.!!
  • sussamb 936 Points
    All done. Full EU to nuvi and PC in under an hour using Express.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Oops apologies. This should be in the CN EU thread. Could a mod move please!
  • DerekW 232 Points
    The NA maps are a taking a while to gestate on the servers???
  • gawettla 181 Points
    Is this available for download yet?
  • alanb 557 Points
    Nope ... maybe it will happen in the next 2 or 3 days, but not there yet.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Certainly taking its time!
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Being reported as released but I'm not seeing it?
  • Buck115 86 Points
    edited June 2015
    Just checked and Garmin Express still doesn't see it yet.
  • alanb 557 Points
    Yeah, I kind of thought we would see the update this week, but considering that in Olathe it is now past noon on Thursday, a map update for this week seems unlikely
  • rockx 0 Points
    Hopefully when the new map update is released it fixes some of the routing issues that I started having with the last update. Really becoming unhappy with Garmin as of late. T
  • t923347 533 Points
    It is being reported on another GPS website that Garmin is now saying that 2016.10 will not be released until early August. In addition they will be going to 3 times a year map update instead of the 4 times a year we have become used to.

It remains to be seen if these so called reports out of Garmin are correct, as they have never made these type of announcements public before, but we can use this as a "heads up" until proven false.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    edited July 2015
    Interesting comment but if that was the case I wonder why Garmin loaded it to the servers so early? Last time a delay like this happened to the EU map there was an issue with POIs that caused the delay between maps being loaded to servers and their subsequent release. History indicates that normally maps are released within a few weeks at most of being loaded onto the servers, unless there is an issue of some sort.

To muddy the waters we had been told that the NT version of the CN EU map, would only be released twice a year now as most EU devices use the NTU version, so after 2015.40 we weren't expecting a 2016.10 NT version, yet one was released within a week or so of the 2016.10 NTU version.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    What is the situation between Garmin and HERE (the map provider)?
    Perhaps a new contract was up and it would cost too much for Garmin to continue with 4 map updates?
  • t923347 533 Points
    edited July 2015
    sussamb said:

Interesting comment but if that was the case I wonder why Garmin loaded it to the servers so early? Last time a delay like this happened to the EU map there was an issue with POIs that caused the delay between maps being loaded to servers and their subsequent release. History indicates that normally maps are released within a few weeks at most of being loaded onto the servers, unless there is an issue of some sort.

To muddy the waters we had been told that the NT version of the CN EU map, would only be released twice a year now as most EU devices use the NTU version, so after 2015.40 we weren't expecting a 2016.10 NT version, yet one was released within a week or so of the 2016.10 NTU version.

I agree that there are parts of this that require further explanation. and you raise an good point about the maps being on the servers for so long. Garmin is saying that they ran into an issue in 2015.40 which caused it to be released late and they are holding the 2016.10 release to insure that errors like they had to fix in 2015.40 aren't present in this version.

They have also made another interesting comment about future releases when questioned about their reported decision to go to 3 times a year updates instead of 4. Here is what they said:

" Garmin will now offer three map updates a year because of a decrease in demand in past cycles. We did a review, and saw that nearly all customers update their maps three times or less per year. "

Remember that this is coming from a single person that works in the Cartography Administration department so it may prove to be incorrect in the end but for now this is all we have to go on. Only time will tell I guess.

Update - Just saw another post from a person that contacted Garmin US by phone and was told the same information about the release of 2016.10 and the timing of future releases.

Also the person who originally reported the delay until August of the 2016.10 release received the this follow up information from Garmin:

"It looks like August 5, 2015 is when the next update will be available. It should be available before August 9th.
    If your email account is set up with Garmin Connect, it should send you a notification that your updates are ready, once available.
    "
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Sounds plausible .... Wonder if that also applies to CN EU?
  • alanb 557 Points
    Three updates a year is OK with me. But I do wish Garmin would again make the large full screen JCV file available for folks with 8x5 and 14xx nuvi's that want it and are willing to put in the extra time to download and install it. Even better, Garmin should just fix Garmin Express so it will automatically install the full coverage JCV file for users that have sufficient space by using a SD card.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    I update my maps every time and never skipped a cycle.
    Its obvious that this is a cost cutting measure and nothing else.
    Garmin should make the update install more efficient. People having to download 5Gb everytime to update the maps has to be costly.
    Why cant they make that people only download updated parts of the map?
    Garmin Xpress or basecamp or other download utility could then stitch the updated files with the existing maps in the computer.

I also wish people could submit map corrections a la TomTom.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Well I'm not sure how tomtom does it but you can submit map errors to Garmin, either via Basecamp or through this https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces or direct to Here, who supply the maps.
  • Tim 1497 Points
    I too suspect it is a cost cutting measure, but I suspect the real costs are support. An individual map license is probably quite cheap, but paying tech support phone the phone to deal with map update issues is perhaps a bigger cost.

Moving from a 13 week to 17/18 week update schedule won't likely make a big difference to most people.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    I too am OK with only having 3 updates and agree this is a cost savings plan.
    What Garmin needs to do is employ better software developers to make sure the map or Garmin Express functions properly.

If it wasn't for forums such as this one and others, Garmin's Tech Support costs would be significantly higher.
  • alanb 557 Points
    This has finally been released. I am downloading now with Garmin Express to a clone of my 3597LMTHD.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    Me too to my PC ;)
  • sussamb 936 Points
    All done, just over 30 minutes ...
  • Where can we download the large jcv file for CN NA 2016.10?
  • t923347 533 Points
    AFAIK Garmin did not make the large full screen JCV file available for download after the 2015.40 map release. The chances of them releasing one for the 2016.10 release don't seem to promising.
  • alanb 557 Points
    If you know someone with a nuvi 7x5 or a zumo 660 that updated their map, you could ask them for a copy of the file. AFAIK, they are the only devices that get the full screen full coverage JCV file with the map update. The name of the file for 2016.10 is D3060180B.JCV.
  • navomatic 86 Points
    edited August 2015
    Just updated my 1390 and 2460. Two revs ago, on both, a two mile dogleg detour was added from my house to the highway I often use. One rev ago, that persisted, but they send me past a freeway entrance to a U-turn, then back to the entrance. Now, my 1390 works fine, but the 2460 still has the detour and U-turn. What's up with that? All these are in simulation mode (checking operation after updates). Makes me wonder what else is wacko. I of course knew not to take the detour, but someone not familiar with a road might not.
  • sussamb 936 Points
    If avoidances etc are the same in both then you could try a master reset but it's possible it's just a different routing algorithm introduced on your newer nuvi.

Are you able to give a start and finish point that give the behaviour you describe so others can check it?
  • wkunert 86 Points
    I downloaded the large JCV file for the 2015.40 map. The small JCV file with the 2016.10 mapset is giving me full screen coverage but many junctions that show up with the large JCV file do not show up with the small file. I have a 1450 with a 4gig card installed so I have plenty of room left for the large file.
  • t923347 533 Points
    wkunert said:

I downloaded the large JCV file for the 2015.40 map. The small JCV file with the 2016.10 mapset is giving me full screen coverage but many junctions that show up with the large JCV file do not show up with the small file. I have a 1450 with a 4gig card installed so I have plenty of room left for the large file.

AFAIK if you have 2016.10 installed you can't use the JCV file from 2015.40. Each map update has it's own JCV file so you need the 2016.10 Large Full Scrren JCV file on your 1450 in order to any junction views at all.

• alanb 557 Points
    A member of the POI Factory forum has published the 2016.10 full coverage JCV file on a file sharing site. I am not going to give the link here, but I am sure you can find it with a little Googling.
  • wkunert 86 Points
    If you go to the POI factory thread you want to download the 4 files from the Mega site and not the 3 files from GPSUnderground. The Mega site download speed, for me, was 1.6Mbs and the GPS Underground site limits you to 70kbs and you have to wait 3 hours between file downloads. The Mega site will allow you to download all 4 files at the same time. Took me about 10 minutes. I have the links and will be glad to post them if it's allowed.
  • t923347 533 Points
    AFAIK it's not which is why Alan didn't post them.
  • 1004ron 0 Points
    navomatic said:

Just updated my 1390 and 2460. Two revs ago, on both, a two mile dogleg detour was added from my house to the highway I often use. One rev ago, that persisted, but they send me past a freeway entrance to a U-turn, then back to the entrance. Now, my 1390 works fine, but the 2460 still has the detour and U-turn. What's up with that? All these are in simulation mode (checking operation after updates). Makes me wonder what else is wacko. I of course knew not to take the detour, but someone not familiar with a road might not.

On 4 Aug 2015 I installed the latest software 5.10 and map 2016.10 on my nuvi 2797LMT and it started sending me on wacky routes.

Seeing this in the areas that I'm familiar with, leaves me with no confidence that it'll do the right thing when using it in areas that are unfamiliar.

Garmin are sending a new replacement and with that one I'll first test new maps using the SD card before updating the unit.

Interested to hear if others experienced the new map and/or software screw up their routing.

• willyboy 68 Points
    You should always have a current backup of your Nuvi before doing any updates, this way if any issues arise you can always revert back to when it was functioning properly.

Sending maps to your SD card is a good idea and a good method of doing it is to use cloning your Nuvi. Doing a Google search enter the keywords "Garmin Map Cloning" and you will find instructions on how to do it. It's quite safe since your Nuvi will not be attached to your PC.

I have experienced some minor routing problems in the past, however, I've done some short trips with 2016.10 and the routes were spot on. I may be wrong but it seems the algorithm's change with map updates. As an example my sister lives 1.5 miles south of me, it's a straight run on a main street with 3 traffic lights. By choosing fastest route it took me off the main street and put me on a highway and then routed through local streets. Certainly not the fastest way even with the traffic lights. Subsequent map updates corrected this and it remains that way.

IMHO I don't think your replacement unit will correct the routing issue, but make sure you do a complete backup of it as soon as you take it out of the box.