This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is updating possible without using installing EXPRESS on my PC??

Is there any way to update my Nuvi 1350 without "installing" Garmin Express?

When I updated last time it installed this crap as a memory resident app on my laptop and I had to go back to an old restore point to get rid of it.

I have no desire or need to install annoying memory resident apps like this, I just want to update the maps on my Nuvi once a year or so.

Apologies if this is something already discussed.

Additionally, when I did the upgrade before it literally took hours and hours and hours writing the dataset directly to the Garmin via my laptop over USB. Is there a way to download the map update to my hard drive then transfer it over to the Nuvi later? I vaguely remember with my old TomTom I could direct the update to my hard drive then copy it over to the TomTom manually which worked much faster than trying to update it directly through USB (but maybe I am confused).

Thanks.

Comments

• sussamb 829 Points
    Both Express and the older MapUpdater allow you to download the map to your PC then transfer it to your nuvi, just be aware in doing so you could miss certain features like junction view, although that's not applicable to the 13xx range.
  • slipkid 13 Points
    sussamb said:

Both Express and the older MapUpdater allow you to download the map to your PC then transfer it to your nuvi, just be aware in doing so you could miss certain features like junction view, although that's not applicable to the 13xx range.

Thanks.

A couple more dumb questions:

- Where can I get this older "Mapupdater" program? Maybe it is not an intrusive mess like Express is.

- If I am forced to use Express I will just do a restore point backup/restore like before after I'm done to get rid of it, but here;s my question - HOW do you tell express to download the map to the hard drive? I was not given any options at all when I did this before, it insisted on going to the Nuvi itself (and then how do you get the downloaded maps to the Nuvi)?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

• alanb 556 Points
    Are you aware of the cloning method for Garmin map updates? You may find some useful information ... just Google "Garmin Maps Cloning Method" and you will find the article
  • slipkid 13 Points
    alanb said:

Are you aware of the cloning method for Garmin map updates? You may find some useful information ... just Google "Garmin Maps Cloning Method" and you will find the article

Thanks, no have never heard of that, will investigate.

• alanb 556 Points
    If your 1350 is a North America model with NA maps (either full NA or lower 49), you will need a micro SD card to perform a map update, as there will not be room in internal memory for the full map. In this situation the cloning method is one way to install the map directly to SD card, although Garmin Express and Garmin Map Updater will also install to SD. I would suggest a 8 GB card although you might get by with a 4 GB card.
  • slipkid 13 Points
    alanb said:

If your 1350 is a North America model with NA maps (either full NA or lower 49), you will need a micro SD card to perform a map update, as there will not be room in internal memory for the full map. In this situation the cloning method is one way to install the map directly to SD card, although Garmin Express and Garmin Map Updater will also install to SD. I would suggest a 8 GB card although you might get by with a 4 GB card.

Thanks very much. When I did the update last time (about 1-2 years ago) there was not enough memory on the thing for the entire USA and I had to choose a smaller region out of that (I am in the east). Thought that was pretty lame but since I haven't traveled outside this area since I bought it I could live with it. Was considering trying a card for it to get entire USA again like how it came new but just too busy to deal with it. Now though after learning this other stuff above I want to go the card method for the next update. I have to buy something big enough, don't think I have any cards larger than 2gb. Need some time now to fully digest all the advice from you guys and get my ducks lined up, thanks all, again...
  • alanb 556 Points
    The nuvi will support a micro SD card up to 32 GB and must be formatted FAT32. But really, anything over 8 GB is overkill.
  • sussamb 829 Points
    MapUpdater is available here

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Both Express and MapUpdater have options to download map to PC or device or both.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    sussamb said:

I'm also not a fan of Garmin Express and use MapUpdater.
    As far as not receiving files for certain features this is in fact possible.
    In MapUpdater if you select download to PC only , you can check a box that shows
    " Leave installation files on the computer".
    This will leave such feature files as Junction View, Voice files (ASR) , etc.
    The files will should be present in Windows\Temp if I recall, however they may be in a different folder. I've done this a couple of times but did it by choosing install to device and computer but the option is there if you choose computer only.

As alanb suggested using the "Clone" method is a better option since it will leave all the files you need on the SD card that will include all the feature files required and the download will go quicker since it will only be downloading to the SD card being tricked that it's the Nuvi that is connected.
    It's a superb method to use for those that limited memory left on their Nuvi's.
  • I tried express several years ago, didn't like it, and got rid of it. But as I recall it had the usual uninstall routine that Windows programs are supposed to have. Didn't have to to a restore. I'm sure it left bits and pieces behind like most software does, but at least I no longer had the background process running 24/7.
  • privet01 228 Points
    edited August 2015
    Garmin Express has a setting to tell it not to start automatically. It was worded a little obscurely though so it wasn't easy to recognize. So if Garmin Mapupdater or cloning doesn't fit your needs, you might try GE again.

I'd tell you where and exactly what the setting says, but I too uninstalled GE a year or so ago as it automatically tried to do everything and didn't necessarily ask if I wanted it to.

I actually tried Garmin Express twice. The first time was one of the first releases of it when pretty much all it did was map updates and maybe software updates. However it bombed on several attempts to load a map and mapupdater did it flawlessly and quicker. Possibly though my very old nuvi was the issue for GE. I tried GE again when Garmin's fitness site, Garmin Connect switched formats and found the newer version of GE seemed much better behaved. My discontent came when it installed a software update on my edge500 without asking for permission. Garmin Support acknowledged that is intended behavior in some cases.

So I guess to sum up my thoughts on Garmin Express.... It works very well with newer Garmins and maybe not so well with very old or older niche models.
  • alanb 556 Points
    edited August 2015
    On newer versions of Garmin Express, the setting is accessed through the Gear icon in the bar at the top of the window, and is under Settings as "Always keep Garmin Express running in the background". If you uncheck that, Garmin Express does not stay resident after booting, but it does still go through an initialization stage during boot. I would rather it just stayed dormant until you needed it, but I have not seen any real problems in letting it initialize during boot. I have used Garmin Express for the last 2 map updates on both my old and newer nuvi's without any problems.

There is a problem with Map Updater if you have a nuvi that supports 3D terrain view during navigation (certain 34xx/35xx models, maybe others?). If you update maps with Map Updater, the gmapdem.img file will be removed or downloaded with an incorrect name, effectively disabling the 3D terrain feature. Newer versions of Garmin Express do not have this bug and handle the gmapdem file correctly.
  • t923347 532 Points
    The good news with the gmapdem.img file is that if you save the one you have on your device you can place it in the .system folder of your Nuvi if the update deletes the file from your device. You can also copy the save .img file to the Nuvi to replace the incorrectly named one if renaming the new file to gmapdem.img doesn't work.