This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi AC Charger

I have a Nuvi 855 with an AC Charger.
What is the proper way to use this charger? When the charger is plugged in the screen comes on and stays at the Where to/View Map screen. The slide switch on top of the 855 will not turn off the screen. Is the nuvi charging at this time and does it hurt to live this screen on for hours while not doing anything with the nuvi. Don't want to burn an image into the screen.
I do see two green bars with a lightning bolt in the middle of the bars. I can't seem to find any instruction on how to work the charger.
Also can't seem to find anybody with a battery in stock for this model.

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    Yes, it is charging. I wouldn't worry too much about burn-in, but you could turn the brightness way down. It will charge faster if you do that too.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Is it really true that you can't turn off the 855 when it's being powered externally? That is pretty odd… if you had a car with a cigarette lighter that doesn't turn off when the key is removed, you would have to uplug the Nuvi every time!
  • I agree with Boyd, you should be able to turn it off while plugged into a wall outlet.
    On models I used with a wall outlet, the screen will turn black and a message appears "charging". Some units will also display "charging complete" when it is fully charged.

Regarding a battery replacement, indeed it is very difficult to find one for the 855.
    This battery replacement may have issues if using replacements rather than an OEM, which I can't find at all.

Read this OLD thread for more information, the links for battery purchase show no longer available.
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/23590/nuvi-855-aftermarket-battery-problem

I did find one, but expensive at 25.95, and NOT an OEM battery. Contact vendor before purchasing for the ability to return if it doesn't work since compatibility may be an issue.
    Also the header shows Garmin Nuvi 855 battery but the description states Nuvi 885. The battery should fit both models but confirm with vendor.
    http://www.newpower99.com/Garmin_Nuvi_885_Battery_p/garmin nuvi 885.htm

• alanb 539 Points
    Nope! Just tested my 855 and it will not turn off when plugged into AC adapter. I was also surprised to note that the brightness adjustment has absolutely NO effect when powered by AC adapter. So ignore my advice above. Go figure!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just realized that the 855 used the old-style Garmin cradle with the multi-pin power connector. Back then, Garmin made a special wall charger for these models that had the same kind of plug, so you could bring the GPS and cradle into the house and plug it in. I still have one of these for my old Nuvi 5000.

The Garmin part number is 362-00054-00. I don't see it on Garmin's site anymore, but there are some inexpensive ones available on eBay - do a google search for that part number and they should come up. But there seem to be some similar versions with different kinds of connectors, so just be sure it is the same style as your auto cable if you decide to buy.

Anyway, I suspect you are using a regular USB charger plugged directly into the GPS instead of the cradle, and that is why you can't turn it off.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    Good theory Boyd, but my 755T uses the same power connector on the cradle as the 855 (different cradle but same 18 pin power connector). And the 755 will shut off when powered by the same AC adapter (via USB) as the 855 which won't shut off. Also, the 755 does respond to the brightness setting when powered. I suspect it has something to do with the Linux kernel/motherboard on the 855 instead of the proprietary Garmin OS on the other Garmin models
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Not clear on what you're saying Alan. My Nuvi 5000 is also Linux based, a very close cousin of the Nuvi 850, released at the same time. It can turn on and off when powered by the wall charger I mentioned above. Basically, it behaves exactly like it would in the car, which is to be expected. How would it know it wasn't in the car since the cradle is being powered the same?

Are you saying that you cannot turn the 855 off when it's in the car also? That would be very odd. :)
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    I don't have an 18 pin AC adapter to test charging through the cradle, so I am commenting on using a standard USB AC charger.plugged directly into the nuvi. The 755 can shut off and adjust brightness when connected this way, the 855 cant. Also, the 5000 is somewhat different because it doesn't have a battery, so it isn't charging when plugged in via USB.

I charge up my 855 frequently via USB AC charger. If you recall, the 8xx units have a sleep mode that can't be disabled, so they go dead just sitting in the case and need to be charged frequently. I guess I never noticed that they can't be shut off before this.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    True, I never understood why they didn't put a battery in the 5000. But back to my original point, it looks like you can buy a charger like the one I have for about $13 on eBay, I see original Garmin and third party ones. This would be an alternative that should address the OP's problems because it uses the exact same system you have in the car. I found this picture what the charger looks like

Another option is to buy a generic 12v wall charger that has an automotive cigarette lighter outlet. You could bring the car cable and cradle inside and plug into that which would definitely behave like it does in the car. WalMart and other places sell these for under $10.

• alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, both those solutions would work other than the annoyance of having to have the cradle in the house . The stock USB charger charges the unit up just fine ... been doing it that way for years. Like I said, I wouldn't worry about screen burn in. Just my opinion of course.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I wouldn't worry about it either, but just suggesting some alternatives since the OP was concerned.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    My 855 has been plugged into the AC adapter for almost 4 hours. I started with 2 green bars and after almost 4 hours I still have only 2 bars. How long would you say the 855 has to stay plugged into the AC adapter to get 3 bars? I bought my Garmin used off Amazon and I'm guessing this is the original battery. When using the unit plugged into my car the GPS works as it should. The battery will charge when in the car. Battery will hold a charge but not for very long. Maybe a week or so. I am assuming all will work fine even with a dead battery as long as it is plugged in. Does the battery serve a purpose other than using it while not being plugged in.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    Some Nuvis will not work at all if the battery is really dead, based on what I've read here. I have an old Nuvi 205 that won't hold a charge for more than a few minutes but it works OK on external power. If it works ok plugged in the car, then you should be fine. As Alan pointed out, my Nuvi 5000 is very similar and it never had a battery. Kind of a nuisance because it has to do a full cold boot which takes forever everytime you shut the car off for a quick gas stop.

Personally I wouldn't spend much money for batteries or parts for such an old device when new ones with warranties and lifetime maps are so inexpensive these days.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    After 4 hours, my 855 would be fully charged, even if the battery was totally dead. So I suspect your battery may be shot. Fortunately, the nuvi 855 will operate just fine with the battery completely removed, when powered through the cradle. However, if the 855 has a completely dead battery it will not power on, even when in the powered cradle. If you remove the dead battery, it will come on. I suspect the charging circuitry takes precedence over the operating circuitry.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    To make a long story short the reason I use this model is it is one of the few that has a ear phone jack. I use this on my motorcycle and with the ear phone jack I can pipe the talking into my helmet to hear directions. I have an intercom system that will except the ear phone jack. They make one for a motorcycle but goes for around 500 buck. It is a lot cheaper this way.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Alanb
    When charging your 855 with AC adapter can you see the green bars advance as it charges
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    Yes ... goes from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 bars. You can also go into diagnostic mode (press and hold the battery icon until the screen changes). It will show the % of charge along with other battery related measures. When I first responded to this thread 3 1/2 hours ago, my 855 was completely dead and wouldn't turn on. It now shows 4 bars and the diagnostic screen shows it is at 95% capacity.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    I guess finding a replacement battery for the 855 is out of the question. I called all I could find and was told the battery is no longer in stock. newpower99 was my last hope and they are out also.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I am sure all the 8xx nuvi's are awaiting the same fate ... just a matter of time now, as I doubt if any battery company will manufacture a new batch of batteries for these units. So the choice is to pitch it or use it without a battery.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I can see why you want to stick with it because of the headphone jack. I think it was the last nuvi model with that feature and, as you said, the Zumo is expensive.

How about a smartphone for an alternative? They all have headphone jacks and there are lots of navigation apps. You could buy a used older model and use it without a voice or data plan if you don't want them. You can use wifi to install the app and maps so it would be a standalone device.

The Montana 600 would be another option and it is waterproof/shockproof. A bit cheaper than the Nuvi, but you would have to buy City Navigator and a mount/charger which brings it up to around $500. You could get satellite imagery on the Montana too, unlimited downloads for $30/year.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    The other thing you could consider is to find an inexpensive used nuvi 765T or 755T. These were released about the same time as the 8x5's, have a very similar feature set, have the audio jack, and replacement batteries are cheap and readily available. It does require case disassembly to replace the battery, but is quite easy to do.

One thing I will caution you about is that the screen brightness on the 7x5 series is not as good as the 8x5 (I have both models).
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Can you tell me the difference between the 765T & 755T
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    765T has bluetooth capability for phone connection. 755T does not have bluetooth, so is more similar to the 855. Note that none of the 7x5's have speech recognition like the 8xx series. The only other major feature that I can think of that is missing on the 7x5 (compared to 8x5) is the custom avoidance feature for routing.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2015
    The 765 has A2DP bluetooth which makes it unique and I believe it is popular with motocycle riders for this reason. See this thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/167062/#Comment_167062

Now this is also a pretty old model, so you should be prepared for battery and other problems.

Original Garmin product pages are here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-755t/prod14933.html
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-765t/prod14926.html
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    Do you use your 855 for MP3 player as well as navigation prompts? If so there is a minor difference in the way the 7x5 handles the output through the audio jack. On the 8x5, it continues playing the mp3 at lower volume while the navigation prompt is given at full volume. On the 7x5, it pauses the MP3 play while the navigation prompt plays, then automatically resumes the MP3 play after the prompt.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Don't make any phone calls while riding the bike so that's not an issue. At this moment the battery is not a big problem as it will charge if plugged into the car or the bike. Just won't hold the charge for long. Also I think you told me it will work without the battery so if it goes completely out and can remove it and still use 855. Will take your info on the 755T and look around and see what I can find. I had a Street Pilot and loved it but Garmin stop updating maps for that model. There way of forcing to to buy a newer one. Had a great feature that you could get it to repeat a command. 855 doesn't have that. That I miss. Thanks for all the help. Learned a lot.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I think what Boyd was advising you on for the 765T is that the bluetooth can pair with headphones ... correct me if I am wrong Boyd.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That is my understanding Alan. Look at the thread in the link I posted.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    My Goldwing is 15 years old and the intercom system is that old also. I don't use MP3 or Bluetooth. All I need is the mic jack and I'm in business. The screen has always been a little hard to see as it sits in the direct sunlight. Have used a hood and that helps a little. That's where the voice command come in. It is a little Rub-Goldberg setup but it gets me there and back.You can buy a new Goldwing that comes with a built in GPS I think is made by Garmin . That has also had it share of problem but that is another story. Like I said my Pilot was perfect for what I am doing and wouldn't have changed if there wasn't a map issue. I'm retired so I have to count my pennies.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2015
    Well, if speech recognition (voice command through microphone) is what you need, the 7x5 won't work for you. As I said in my earlier post the 7x5 does not have speech recognition. On the other hand, if you mean being able to hear navigation prompts through the mini stereo jack audio port, then the 7x5 is OK.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Hear navigation prompts is what I am after.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Ok, that's what I thought ... when you said "mic jack" it threw me off.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Sorry about that. Glad you knew what I mint. Should have said ear not mic.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Back to charging the 855 for a moment. I don't really use my 855 anymore, but do try to remember to keep the battery charged once or twice a year. After I do a full charge I put a small piece of paper across the battery contacts before I put it back into the unit. A small Post-It Note works well. It stays pretty much fully charged for many months that way.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Can you tell me what is meant by locked and unlocked when looking at map updates.
  • t923347 432 Points
    It is basically a copy protection scheme. When maps are locked they can't be used until they are unlocked. If you have paid for an update to maps that are already on your GPS then they will either be unlocked when the update is installed or you will have a facility to unlock them like an unlike key/code you'll need to enter before the maps are of any use.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    So are you saying that the maps on my GPS are unlocked because I am using them but installing updated maps will have to come with a key before I can install them. (I don't have lifetime updates)
  • t923347 432 Points
    When you got your GPS they came with maps installed on the device. These maps were "unlocked" and therefore you could use the device to route you from place to place. If you want to update thoughs maps with newer ones you would need to purchase an update. A legal purchased update will come either unlocked or with an unlock key which will allow you to install the update and use the maps.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I would think twice about purchasing a map update for a device as old as the 855. Map updates are not transferrable, so if the 855 dies then you are out of luck. You would not be able to transfer the lifetime map subscription to a different Nuvi.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    If my 855 gives up I think I would look for a 755T. Seems like it would do what I need and was told it has the ear phone jack. Batteries are cheap and available for that unit. Not sure if my ac charger and usb cables for my 855 would work on the 755T. My Ram mount on my motorcycle fits the 855 but no sure if it would work for the 755T. Would have to do a little homework. Amazon has several used 755T for 40.00 and up.
    Can you tell me how to check my 855 to see how old my maps are?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Press Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info

This is covered in the owners manual which is available here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/nuvi855_OwnersManual.pdf

Just to clarify my point above, lifetime map updates typically cost between $60 to $80 depending on where you buy them. If you buy one for your 855 and it dies, then you would not be able to use it with a 755.
  • alanb 539 Points
    The 8x5 series has a different cradle than the 7x5, but the power adapters with the 18 pin plug that plugs into the cradle are interchangeable between the two devices
  • fredb38 16 Points
    When charging the 855 with the usb cable can you turn off the screen. Right now the screen shows the name Garmin and a picture of the Garmin connected to a PC. Would like to let it charge for a while but hate to leave the screen on for a long time.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I don't think so. WIthout the cradle, the 855 does not seem to shut off when powered externally like some other models do.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Charged over night with computer and now have a full charge. Not sure if it will hold.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You should note that it will take longer to charge with the computer as opposed to a plug-in wall charger. Computer USB ports cannot supply as many watts as a charger. So if you are concerned about the amount of time the screen is on, use a charger. Personally, I wouldn't worry about having the screen on. But I have noticed that it can take much longer to charge when using a computer.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    I bought an AC charger from amazon as it said it was for an 855. When I use it the charge light comes on and it turns on the 855. I left it plugged in for about 3 hours. The green bar never moved. Started with 2 bars and after about 3 hours still had only 2 bars. Maybe should have left it on longer. Not sure if I can over do it by leaving on all night.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    I plugged the 855 into my computer and let charge for about 9 hours. (Over night) I now have three bars and on my unit that is fully charged. Not sure how long that will last. I did try newpower99.com for a battery but they are out also.
  • fredb38 16 Points
    Still using the 855 but ran into a problem. While using it in my car all was working fine for about 3 hours. Then it would shut off. I felt the 855 and it was really hot. Couldn't do much with it the rest of the day. The next day I plugged it up and all was fine. Worked all day without a problem. Not sure why it shut off or why it go so hot. Any suggestions?
    Never did find a battery for the 855.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I don't know why it got hot, unless it was something obvious like direct sun for an extended period. But there is an internal temperature sensor that will shut the Nuvi down if the temperature gets too high (to prevent the battery from exploding or catching on fire). So that's probably why it shut down.