This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is there an Icelandic keyboard language?

My brother is headed to Iceland next week and does have Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT installed which includes Iceland on his 2597LMT. Can't seem to find a keyboard language that might make typing names of towns, locations, POIs, etc. a bit easier. I have advised him that typing a partial name may well find what he is looking for. Is that the best one can do? Is there a keyboard language that would be the most appropriate such as Norsk? I don't think the language list I am seeing on Garmin's site is up to date. I looked yesterday via GE and did not see any Icelandic language. Tnx.

Comments

• DerekW 132 Points
    On my 3598LMT-D device after I have selected Iceland as the country I get offered an additional key "Alt" that if I press before I press the most equivalent letter then I get offered a new set of accented keys to chose from. So this may solve your problem - this was using an English keyboard.

Actually just tested this with the selected country being the UK and the Alt key was presented to get accented characters.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks. I don't think his 2597 has the same menu choices as your 3598. My 2699 does so I see what you are referring to with the ALT key on the keyboard. The 2597 has an ALT key sometimes, but it cannot cycle through different pre-checked/ selected language keyboards from the "globe" key. I'll have to check it out further. How do you indicate which country you want to use?
  • DerekW 132 Points
    I was selecting it in the Where To, Address, Change Country, I then selected Iceland. However the Alt key was available in the Keyboard when I was selecting United Kingdom.

I did try selecting a street name with a Diacritic character, by the time I had selected the first few letters street names with diacritic characters where being offered to be selected.

I suggest that your brother gets a good street atlas to go along with the use of the Satnav.

Good luck, let us know how he gets on with Icelandic in a real life situation.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks for the additional info. Actually since my brother is almost a technophobe I have been instructing his wife and did show her how just typing the first few letters of a town would most likely bring up the correct one in the suggestions list so they should be OK. They do have a very good paper map and it looks like there is only one main road around the island so how lost could they get! 8-| I don't remember seeing the option to Change Country when changing location, but out of curiosity will check that out. Thanks again for your assistance. ^:)^