This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Micro Disk for Garmin Nuvi 50LM?

When I tried to update maps on my Nuvi 50 LM: Garmin Express said I have to insert an SDHC disk: less than 32 GB. What type/size of disk fits in the slot and works?

Comments

• privet01 145 Points
    Just about anything made in the last five or so years that uses an SD card or SDHC if you want to be slightly more correct will be a "micro" SD card. Even for an old device that uses the original size SD card, I'd still buy the micro and then get an adapter for it that allows it to be put in the old style larger slot. Many are sold with the adapter for little cost.

However, I've probably confused things for you. Again, it's the micro sdhc card you want. Just go to Walmart or any other big box store and you can get them for 12 dollars US or get a 16 GB card for only 8 dollars US. Usually I find them in the electronic section near the digital cameras.
  • t923347 408 Points
    edited July 2016
    An 8GB card will do for the map update (at least for North America maps) but since these things are so cheap these days you might as well get a 16Gb card which will last you for a very long time. Just insure that it's formatted FAT32 which most are my default, and if not, you'll need to format it before it will work with your Nuvi.
  • Boyd 1848 Points
    Just in case you got a little "lost in the weeds" here…. this is what you should look for. :)

Sometimes they will include an adapter so the card can be used in larger slots. You do not need the adapter. You will also see different card speeds shown in a circle on the card. The card in this image is class 4. For the Nuvi, the speed really doesn't matter.
  • privet01 145 Points
    I did create a lot of "weeds"........ <<grin>> I just can't help myself, sometimes tangent paths are to irresistible for me.
  • Boyd 1848 Points
    BTW, this is what a "Micro Disk" looks like. It's the original 2.2gb MagicStor 4200 RPM hard drive on a compact flash card from my old Garmin StreetPilot 2620. The 2620 was the first GPS Garmin sold that was pre-loaded with City Navigator maps for the entire US.

Since it was a spinning hard drive, there could be issues… if you hit a big bump in the road, it would often crash and require a re-start of the GPS. It also had a temperature sensor and would not operate in cold conditions. But there was an internal heater, so on a cold morning you would get a message about warming up, and after awhile it would finally start to spin. I no longer have the GPS, but kept the old hard drive after replacing it with a solid state 2gb compact flash card.

You can see how the size compares to a 16gb micro SD card. And these cards are available up to 128gb - 60 times the capacity of the MicroDrive and much cheaper too! :)

• Thank you everyone that responded. This TechNovice is now ready to search and buy. You are all great! Again thank you.
  • Lovegolf 5 Points

When I tried to update maps on my Nuvi 50 LM: Garmin Express said I have to insert an SDHC disk: less than 32 GB. What type/size of disk fits in the slot and works?

I'm not clear, so is 32GB too big to use with the 50LMTHD unit? If not, I guess I bought one for nothing.

• t923347 408 Points
    I don't think it's "too big" it's just that the Nuvi doesn't support anything bigger than a 32GB card.
  • t923347 408 Points
    edited July 2016
    sussamb said:
    I may have missed it but where is the Nuvi 50 on that list. I see the Drive 50 but not the Nuvi.

UPDATE - I did miss it, as it's bulked in under one heading - Nuvi series
  • Boyd 1848 Points
    edited July 2016
    I can't see why you would ever need 32gb on a Nuvi. Some older models had photo viewers and MP3 players that you might want to load up with content, but I don't think the new devices have these. Things like favorites, tracks and POI's only take megabytes to store, not gigabytes.

So the card is really just for storing the map. You would have to load a lot of different maps (like topo maps, maps of foreign countries, etc) to get anywhere near 32gb. And even if you did, I think there are some other technical limitations as to how many maps the unit can access.

So, if you already have a 32gb card and your Nuvi is compatible, there's no harm in using it. But 16gb is all that you're likely to ever need.
  • privet01 145 Points
    Bill Gates said something similar about 64K RAM quite a few years ago...... <<grin>>

For the short term, 8 is enough, 16 is plenty, 32 is overkill. But any will work.