This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First-time I-95 MA to FL drive - best way to prep GPS..?

Spouse and I will be traveling on I-95, Mass. to SW Florida soon.
Last time was 2002, with paper maps with loads of time!

This time it will be pretty straight shot, not hurried, but steady, except for two stops to visit folks on the way in SC and Orlando.

What would be the best ways to prep my recently updated Nuvi 2597LMT for the purpose?
I will also have a AAA trip preparation done, and traditional maps handy?

Do I bother with specialized POIs?
I am not that comfortable writing non-Garmin stuff to the unit, weird experience once installing an OSM alternate map, but if I need to I will.

Other steps to consider?

I will spend some time to get reacquainted with ALL the built-in features of the stock machine, as some are seldom used.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2016
    I just enter the destination and review the route it shows. Often I don't agree with what it suggests. No problem, I just go the way I want and the GPS eventually catches on to what I'm up to. If it just won't take me the way I want to go (which often happens), then I choose some point along the way and route to it instead. As I get closer, I switch back to the original destination (easily done using the "recently found" feature).

Works for me, no "prep" is required. :)
  • privet01 221 Points
    edited October 2016
    Ibid....what boyd said. I don't like to fuss with a lot of tedius prep either. I just review the route I want to go on my computer, then see if the gps generally agrees then go. Like Boyd, usually I wind up taking deviations the gps doesn't like, but so what. If the gps doesn't like my way it can get it's own car and drive itself <<grin>>.

I use my old nuvi 205w to plug in my destination and give me the overall trip navigation. Then for restaurants, POI's and such I use my smart phone. I also tend to use my smart phone for navigation within a large unfamiliar city.

My reasoning for using the smart phone is that it's got the power of the internet behind it and will be more up to date. But for the interstate and highway travel, my nuvi.... even with old maps is more than adequate.
  • privet01 221 Points
    Oh..... since you say you just updated the maps, you probably should simulate the entire trip in demo mode. Particularly if it's going to stress you out if it fails half way there.

I've had map installs that seemed to go well, but certain parts where missing. Another time, when ever I passed a certain location, the nuvi would zoom out to show the entire North America view. Both were remedied by reinstalling the map with different software. However both instances were many years ago.
  • POIs needs are mostly rest stops, fuel and places to eat. lodging may be arranged ahead of time, to a point.

No data plans on our cells, so I will rely on whatever the GPS serves, OR
    whatever I have pre-canned with Navmii or such app on a tablet... and reading the signs by the highway!

I need to learn how to preview a route on the GPS - never done it.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Tapping the bar at the top of the screen should give you the option of either viewing the route on the map or seeing a turn-by-turn list of directions.
  • I've been taking the roughly the same trip the past 4 years. The only thing I've done is use Basecamp to create a custom route to avoid 495 around Washington DC. I usually hit that at the start of the evening rush hour. Basecamp and Google say my route adds about 25 miles but in reality it's probably faster and a lot less stressful.
  • privet01 221 Points
    If you haven't already done so, you can turn off the sound. That way you can drive the way you know you want to go without having to listen to the GPS nag you. Sometimes voice directions are useful. But for a relaxing drive why let a machine cause you stress by listening to it tell you are wrong.

I keep my nuvi on mute all the time. My smartphone which I use for urban navigation in unfamiliar metropolitan areas I let speak to me......... but even that gets ignored at times when intuition or signage on the road shows a better way.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    privet01 said:

I keep my nuvi on mute all the time.

Me too. I don't like dumb gadgets that talk.
  • I sometimes like the reminder about some road action to be taken, as I may daydream or get into a tune or podcast.