This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can GPS predict depression?

Interesting idea, but what depresses me is how intrusive mobile technology is becoming. Really, I don't want an app asking me "are you ok?" Reminds me of THX-1138 ;)

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/instagram-probably-cant-predict-depression-gps-though/

“People whose movement through geographic space seemed to be more rhythmic had lower anxiety and depression levels,” says Schueller. As people get depressed, the normal patterns start to slip. “Maybe they forget an appointment, decide not to go out with their friends, travel to and from work at later or earlier hours,” he says. This kind of diagnostic location tracking is still in development, but Schueller says he imagines it might one day be linked to digital calendars, to see if people are missing scheduled appointments. With enough erratic behavior, the app could send out a notification asking if the person is okay.

Comments

• dhn 228 Points
    Or HAL? O:-)
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    Just what do you think you're doing, dhn?... I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you. :)
  • privet01 145 Points
    Geez............... Things like this just make me want to keep my phone turned off till I want to use it. Too bad you can't take out the battery any more!
  • Arrius 0 Points
    Smartphones will take over humanity long before killer robots from what it seems. The rate of advancement in their technology is scary.