This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

HOW TO DELETE ITEMS IN SAVED

I have a Nuvi 2595 and i would like to clear out several items that i have in the 'saved' category. When i enter the saved places and scroll down to the item i want to remove i 'click' on the item and than touch the three horizontal bars on the top left of the screen, the unit than displays a page that asks if i want to 'spell' or 'delete saved places' if i click on delete saved places another screen displays and displays all the saved places that i have on the unit. i scroll down to the saved place i want to delete and i tap on the item which than shows a green check mark in a box of the item i want to delete, immediately a 'delete' box displays, and i hit the 'delete' box, but nothing deletes and no matter how many times i hit the delete button nothing gets deleted. What am i not doing correctly?

My software version is 8.30, Firmware is 4.14.10

Comments

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited September 9
    I think the 2595 is like my devices from 2012. You should be ablt to do Where To > Saved and then tap one of the items. At the bottom center of the screen there should be a button with ( i ). Tap that, then tap the "three bar" button at the top left of the screen and choose Delete. This works for me.

However there is another issue that can cause deleted items to reappear and the fix involves several steps. To permanently delete items, first follow the steps above. Now connect the Nuvi to your computer and look in the GPX folder on the device. Delete ALL .gpx files from this folder. There should be no issues with doing this, but you can copy them to your computer first if you're concerned. Now start the Nuvi again and the deleted items should be gone forever.

The problem is that whenever you start the Nuvi, it automatically imports any saved places that are found in .gpx files. Various things can cause a .gpx file containing your favorites to be stored on the Nuvi, so you have to remove those files to prevent deleted items from reappearing.
  • What is a recommended software to use to open a .GPX file?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited September 9
    Garmin Basecamp can open .gpx files. So can their older Mapsource software. There are many, many other programs for this also. Actually, .gpx files are just text files that you can open with any text editor such as Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on the Mac. You might need to change the extension to .txt however.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Note that the file named Current.gpx will contain a copy of all your saved locations and your current track. There is no problem deleting this file because it's just a copy of internal data that's stored in protected memory you can't access. Current.gpx is automatically generated every time the Nuvi starts up, so it will always come back.
  • paullady 3 Points
    I'm still not totally clear, and would appreciate more direction. I want to edit my current.gpx so that I can get about 50 waypoints out of my saved favorites on my DriveSmart60. Efforts to date have been very frustrating. Is there a way to do this on BaseCamp? Removing WPs on the device is very slow.

TIA, pjl
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 5
    Changing Current.gpx will have absolutely no effect on the GPS. That file is not actually used for anything on the device, it's a copy of internal data you cannot directly access, and it is re-generated every time the device starts.

If you want to delete waypoints from your DriveSmart, the only way to do that is via the menus on the device itself, sorry. But it should not be so hard, first make sure you have a copy of Current.gpx on your computer. Then use the menus on the DriveSmart to delete all saved locations. Now use Basecamp to create a new list with only the waypoints you actually want and send that list to the GPS. Finally, delete the file named Temp.gpx from the DriveSmart.

When you start the GPS up, it should now have your edited waypoint list.
  • paullady 3 Points
    I keep trying to find a way to export and edit the favorites file, no luck. Is there anything that works? Garmin Support is no help. The new auto products do not work like any other Garmin I have used. REALLY BAD FOR THE BRAND!
  • sussamb 664 Points
    They work exactly the same, connect your Drive to your PC and run BaseCamp. When it shows select it so the data appears in the lower left hand pane, then drag/drop the data you want into a BaseCamp folder/list.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited October 5
    Garmin automotive devices have all behaved this way, going back to the introduction of the Nuvi in 2005. Yes, it is different from their handheld/outdoor products. The key difference has been described several times above. The waypoints are not stored in a user-accessible file. Current.gpx is just a copy that's available for the user to access.

Garmin's software on your computer can receive waypoints and send new ones to the gps, but it cannot delete anything from the device.
  • paullady 3 Points
    strange stuff going on!! i deleted a favorite on the device, reconnected to basecamp, looked in the internal storage folder, and the wp is still there. maybe because it's part of a route or trace?? I have not found the way to delete a route or track on the DS60. Can u pls help? TIA, pjl
  • paullady 3 Points
    do i need to "restore" the device, which should IMHO reset to factory default, but mens that I have to reset all my preference settings.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 6
    To delete a trip open the app Trip Planner and select the trip. Tap the 3 bar icon top left and select delete.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    If deleted favourites return it's because you sent them there from an external program and left the gpx file in the GPX folder. Delete all files in the GPX folder and then delete the favourites.
  • paullady 3 Points
    i found where to delete travel history and planned trips. the routes are now gone on basecamp, but not the tracks. really frustrating that Garmin DS series is so bad for managing the device.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 6
    It's not bad, have you tried reading the manual? Go to settings, device, about and uncheck Travel History as I assume that's what you mean by 'tracks' or Clear travel history if you simply want to clear your current ones.
  • paullady 3 Points
    thx for reply, I appreciate the input. basically, I have done all you suggest, but still getting results that I don't understand with BaseCamp. Should I be working on the internal storage files directly through File Explorer? I see the files there but don't have a way to edit them. Notebook shows them, but the formatting is "word wrap", no logic to the structure. The manual you refer to; is that the files I see but cannot search by PC since they seem to work only with the internal device operating system? I"m really adrift here, need to get a handle on how the device works. My goal is to have a "clean" device with my edited favorites to gain speed and save internal storage. Is that going to work?
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 8
    First, cleaning up your favourites won't really save space or gain speed. However if you wish to edit them in BaseCamp you cannot do it directly on the device. You need to copy them into BaseCamp and edit them there. Once they are in BaseCamp you then need, using the menus on your device, to delete them all from your device. Once it's empty of favourites reconnect the device to your PC and use BaseCamp to send the edited favourites back to the device.

Disconnect, reboot your device and then your edited favourites will be there. Having checked they are it's worth then deleting the file installed by BaseCamp into the GPX folder on your device, which will probably be called temp.gpx
  • paullady 3 Points
    just to confirm, I have repeatedly deleted selected favorites and cleared my trips and travel history on the device, but after receiving from device in basecamp, these items still show. really frustrating.
  • t923347 406 Points
    In the top left hand side of the BaseCamp screen you'll see your "collections". Are you deleting those collections? If not you'll continue to see the entries (favorites, tracks, routes) you had on the GPS when you connected to Basecamp even though you have physically deleted those items on the device.

Delete everything you want from the GPS, without attaching the device to Basecamp, go into the program and delete your "collections", close BaseCamp, attach your GPS to your computer and open Basecamp. At this point Basecamp should read in the Favorites, Routes and Tracks stored on the GPS and it should be exactly what you've left on the device.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Also, did you follow my instructions above in this thread? After confirming you have deleted everything using the menus on the device itself, do this:

"connect the Nuvi to your computer and look in the GPX folder on the device. Delete ALL .gpx files from this folder. There should be no issues with doing this, but you can copy them to your computer first if you're concerned. Now start the Nuvi again and the deleted items should be gone forever.

The problem is that whenever you start the Nuvi, it automatically imports any saved places that are found in .gpx files. Various things can cause a .gpx file containing your favorites to be stored on the Nuvi, so you have to remove those files to prevent deleted items from reappearing."
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited October 8
    paullady said:

just to confirm, I have repeatedly deleted selected favorites and cleared my trips and travel history on the device, but after receiving from device in basecamp, these items still show. really frustrating.

As posted above you're doing something wrong. Confirm when you power cycle your device it is definitely empty? Then in BaseCamp only select the data you want to send to your device. I normally create a new list called nuvi update and put all the edited data in that, then once I'm happy send all the data in that to my nuvi by selecting it, right clicking and then choosing 'send to device'.

• paullady 3 Points
    WOW, success. Really appreciate your collective guidance. It worked as you say. Delete all internal storage files, edit in BaseCamp and then send favorites to the unit. Happy Here!!

Have you a way to do a global command to change the icons? I find that my local area is covered with the large green default icons and I have found no way to turn off the Smart Drive favorites icon display or reduce them to a tolerable small dot. Hoping here!!

pjl
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Great!

As far as I know there is no way of changing the icons, you can switch them off though. Go to Settings, Map & Vehicle, Map layers and untick Up ahead places
  • paullady 3 Points
    Beautiful!! I now have small green icons instead of the large green favorites icon that covers the display and obscures the street detail that i like to see when navigating off main roads. Great progress in my ability to manage the DS series, and kudos to you who are much better than the Garmin support folks.

pjl