This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin 2555 LMT - not going into sleep mode

have never had a problem - did a recent update system and maps from their site.
went out this morning to see the garmin glowing brightly in the car - and the car battery dead.
I have reported to Garmin but since out of warranty not sure they will respond.

Comments

• AndreyT 105 Points
    edited November 8
    zoe said:

went out this morning to see the garmin glowing brightly in the car - and the car battery dead.

If you found your car battery dead, it means that your car never powered down its 12V socket your Garmin is connected to. This problem has absolutely nothing to do with your Garmin unit. It could simply be caused by the fact that you accidentally connected your Garmin device to an "always on" 12V socket. In that case it is entirely your mistake. Don't connect your Garmin to "always on" sockets: it will never go to sleep and will drain your car battery, just like you describe.

If, on the other hand, this 12V socket is supposed to turn off with the car, it means that this time it did not turn off for some reason. In that case, the problem is caused entirely by your car. There's something wrong with your car.

The Garmin device cannot somehow "magically" figure out that you no longer need it and go to sleep. The only thing it can see it the power supply from your car. When that power supply disappears (i.e. when you turn your car off), the Garmin device notices it and goes to sleep. If your car never turns off (by design or due to some malfunction in the car's power management system), the Garmin device will never go to sleep and will indeed drain your car battery.

This is what happened in your case.

P.S. I had an older Garmin device that had a strange habit of waking up inside the car for no apparent reason. But, of course, it could not possibly drain my car's battery (since the car was properly turned off). It would drain its own internal battery to zero. This kind of behavior could indeed be caused by a Garmin problem. But draining your car battery... That's a car problem 100%.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    AndreyT said:

P.S. I had an older Garmin device that had a strange habit of waking up inside the car for no apparent reason. But, of course, it could not possibly drain my car's battery (since the car was properly turned off).

I think it's possible that @zoe is correct about what happened. Let's assume that his cigarette lighter does not turn off and he knows it, so he manually shuts down the GPS when he gets out of the car. But then some kind of glitch might cause it to restart after he goes to bed. It could be a problem with the GPS itself, or perhaps the cigarette lighter shutdown for awhile, then came back on and that would case the GPS to turn on.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited November 8
    Boyd said:

I think it's possible that @zoe is correct about what happened. Let's assume that his cigarette lighter does not turn off and he knows it, so he manually shuts down the GPS when he gets out of the car. But then some kind of glitch might cause it to restart after he goes to bed.

Well, that's indeed possible, I guess. Personally, I never considered this a viable mode of operation for Garmin devices, since even if you put it to sleep manually, it will continue to drain the battery (albeit much less than with its screen on, of course).

The question is to @zoe, then. Do you normally put your Garmin device to sleep manually? Or does it normally go to sleep by itself? This is a rather critical piece of information missing from your original post.

• Boyd 1794 Points
    I agree. Would not want to have anything connected to an "always on" outlet, as I suggested here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/207432/#Comment_207432
  • Sometimes you don't have a choice. I have 2 outlets in my 2008 Ford Ranger and both are always on, so I unplug the GPS whenever not in use.
  • zoe 0 Points
    the Garmin has always been set to automatically power off after 2 seconds.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Exactly what did you set? I think the power off settings only apply when the Nuvi is running on its internal battery. If it is receiving power from your vehicle, it will stay on regardless of what you have set. And as @AndreyT pointed out, the vehicle must have been providing power.