This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Big changes to Google Maps policy and pricing coming June 11

Boyd 1954 Points
edited May 26 in GPS Discussions
geoawesomeness.com/developers-up-in-arms-over-google-maps-api-insane-price-hike/
________

"The honeymoon is over, guys – or it will be, on June 11, 2018. Google is making sweeping changes to its Maps API products. And by sweeping, we mean shocking.

You can no longer use the APIs in the first place unless you create a billing account and hand-over your credit card information to Google. This is applicable to all users – even those who have a simple map embedded on their website’s contact page.

You will get the first $200 of monthly usage for free. And that should be enough to cover the majority of users who have a simple map embedded on their website as mentioned above. But, for those who use Dynamic Maps, $200 will take care of only 28,000 free page loads per month. Why the emphasis on per month? Because right now, users get 25,000 free page loads per day."

Comments

• alanb 425 Points
    I suspect this will have a big impact on many, many internet sites. I can't count how many times I click a location link on a web site and it brings up a google map.

I wonder if this is part of the reason that Garmin removed the Google Earth menu link on their latest 4.7.0 version of BaseCamp.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited May 26
    I was thinking the same when I saw a thread at groundspeak about Basecamp removing the Google feature.

I'm a moderator at a regional website in my area that has a very popular map function allowing you to choose maps from all different sources using Google's API. A little too soon to tell, but I suspect this will be the end of that feature, considering the volume of use on the site. And even if you fall within the free use limits, you still have to give Google your credit card number if you want to use their API. That seems like a huge risk, since who knows what might cause a lot of page loads that could generate a big unexpected bill.

This should provide a good incentive for people to start using solutions like OpenLayers as an alternative.

I always thought Google was like a drug dealer that gives away free samples. Well, at least now we know why they did away with their "don't be evil" motto. :D
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Wow that is a nasty move. I wonder how that is going to impact all the services that use that API. Why would Google do this? Its going to take a huge financial impact in their bottom line.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    edited May 27
    Well I think the financial impact will be in Google's favor. Reading more about this, people are excited about all the new features of the Google API. These will benefit big companies that already use Google's services and it may bring more onboard.

Small companies with a Google map showing their location will probably fit within the free allotment so they aren't going to change. They will have to create a billing account at Google and agree to the terms of service though, or else their map will "go dark" on June 11.

But sites like the one I mentioned above (maps.njpinebarrens.com), may get screwed by this. Am waiting for our site admin to determine what the impact will be based on his usage stats. Maybe we will be within the limits of the free plan but I'm concerned - a lot of people use these maps. And it's a place where a user might spend an hour "exploring" full resolution imagery. This is very different from a guy finding directions to the nearest Dunkin Donuts using the map on their site. ;)

Anyway, there will be no financial impact if that site stops using Google because they don't pay Google anything now. And I think that's the point.... Google wants to dump sites that make heavy use of their resources and pay nothing. Really, I think they want you to use their own site where they can bombard you with ads and track everything you do.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    TBH I think Google is trying to move more towards a pay-for-play basis for services rather than being so dependent on ad income. I doubt this will be the last Google service that migrates to a paid one instead of "free".
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    I agree - and it's great to see you around here again gator! =D>
  • dhn 330 Points
    Boyd said:

+1 !!!

• Tim 1470 Points
    Wow, <<<< Rewind!!!
  • sussamb 780 Points
    Boyd said:

Wow ... Thought the swamp had got you Gator :)

• truckinguy 115 Points
    Google is out of control... I advertised with them in Ad Words and stopped now things are doing good on it's own. They will not stop calling... many many times a week.. robo calls,etc. been going on for years actually.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I get several calls per day from "Google AdWords", but of course it isn't really Google, just some scammers.
  • Boyd 1954 Points
    https://developers.google.com/maps/billing/important-updates

Important Updates

We’ve moved the effective date of our new pricing, and the $200 free monthly credit, to July 16th. We’re launching the new Maps, Routes and Places functionality on June 11th. To provide you with an additional month of lead time, our new terms and pricing won’t go into effect until July 16th. Please take advantage of this time to try the new features and familiarize yourself with how billing will work.

Starting June 11th
    We will enforce the use of API keys beginning on June 11th. Keyless usage will result in a degraded experience, or an error. See the Guide for Existing Users for details.