This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

nuvi 55/56 question

Lately all the road location displays the local road name instead of the route number. Showing the local road name is worthless in a unfamiliar area. Route numbers were shown in the past & are more meaningful to me.

I can see if the vehicle was within city limits but to show local highway names in rural setting is confusing. At best, I wish Garmin would allow the GPS user/owner the option to set the unit to their preference. What are your thoughts?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    That's very strange because in the main Garmin, in response to posts like yours, have moved more towards showing route numbers, I've certainly noticed that trend on mine.
  • I spoke to customer service this morning and she confirmed what I posted...no route numbers.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Well it's certainly not as simple as that as often I do get route numbers :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited November 2018
    What country are you in and what map are you using. @sussamb is in the UK, so his experiences are probably not very relevant if you are in the US. ;)

I have never seen many route numbers on City Navigator North America, and this is a frequent complaint of other users here in the US. But if you noticed a definite change to this recently, a map update or firmware update is just about all that could cause this. So did you update recently? Do the route numbers show when you view the map in Basecamp? Do you have a backup copy of the old map?

As far Garmin providing a menu option for this... you're dreaming. There are many things I'd like to see menu options for, but Garmin just isn't interested in providing that level of customization. Instead, they add annoying features like a "warning" every time the road curves (with no way to disable). And aside from all this, Garmin has almost never added any new features to an old device (and the Nuvi 55 is a 4 year old product).

But if you'd like a bathroom scale that connects to a smart watch, you just might get that from Garmin. :))
  • sussamb 813 Points
    True but I did use the NA map when I was in the US on holiday a couple of years back ;)