This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

North America NT 2020.10

The new map update, North America NT 2020.10, was released this morning.

Comments

• Ned 5 Points
    Thanks
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    I assume this is the map update that the Drivesmart 65 will use to display 3D terrain. Does anyone know if 3D terrain will be displayed on other models, like the Drivesmart 61?
  • sussamb 800 Points
    edited January 31
    Only those models designed to display 3D will display it, so if the 61 is one of those then yes, if not ...

Note the map and the 3D data is stored in different files, and I believe normally is selectable via Settings, Map&Vehicle, myMaps
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    No 3d terrain on the DriveSmart 61. That is a feature that must be part of the device firmware, and Garmin never adds new features to the firmware on old devices. There is certainly no technical reason for this, it's just marketing
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    The marketing strategy works, I have a Drivesmart 61 and like it very much. I would buy a 65 just to get the 3D terrain. But I would respect garmin more if they would implement 3D terrain on the 61.

Does anyone know if the 3D terrain map has all cities in 3D, or is it only for certain large cities and only portions of the cities? It would be a waste of money to but a 65 only to find out that nothing on the map of Ottawa, Canada is rendered in 3D.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited February 3
    IMHO it would be a waste of money to buy a 65 for 3D rendering of any city. I have unit(s) with 3D and really don't see much value in it, as far as city views are concerned. Terrain of the country side is nice "eye candy" but not a must have feature.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited February 3
    I think that is a very questionable reason to upgrade to the 65, but I have bought plenty of Garmin products for questionable reasons myself, so who am I to judge? LOL :)) I have had two devices with the 3d terrain feature, a Nuvi 3790 and Nuvi 3550. Here are some screenshots from the 3790.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/134704/#Comment_134704

Note that the 3d building feature is separate from 3d terrain. The terrain is actually a map (gmapdem.img) that covers all of North America. When you enable it along with City Navigator, you get the 3d effect. The 3d buildings are in a separate file (gmap3d.img) that use a proprietary format that (AFAIK) has never been deciphered. I'm sure many owners of these devices never see a single 3d building. No idea how many more buildings they have added to the new maps (I don't bother to update my 3550 anymore), but as of a few years ago buildings only appeared in the downtown areas of major cities.

Isn't the terrain very flat around Ottawa? I lived across Lake Ontario in Sterling NY for many years, and it's very flat around there. In such an area, you probably wouldn't even notice a difference with 3d terrain. That is certainly the case for the area where I live now in Southern New Jersey.

Another thing they have changed with the 65 series is to drop the 3d map browser that was used on the older devices. That was a very nice feature that let you manipulate the map in 3d. The user interface on these new devices is simpler and looks the same as the 61 in the screenshots I've seen. You cannot tilt the view very far - the horizon line is right at the top edge of the screen. On the old devices, you saw more of the sky which (IMO) made for a more realistic 3d view.

If you get one of these devices, let us know - it would be great to see some screenshots.
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    Thanks for the information. I never had a gps with 3D terrain or buildings. Ottawa is fairly flat, so it may not be that impressive. Even if there are any 3D buildings on the Ottawa map, they would be downtown, where I rarely drive. But my curiosity might get the better of me.
  • I updated my Nuvi 3590LM last year to 2020.10?
    I think it was in Nov
    Tried to update it and it said no updates