This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 2529

Hi. Two questions regarding my Nuvi.

Can anyone tell me what it means when a road is shown as a red and white line?

Secondly, why does it always want to send me on this route whether I'm heading north or south on the M5 past Bristol? When I ignore it, it always corrects to the right route immediately.

Thanks

Comments

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    The red roads Im guessing are just secondary roads?
    As for the routing its the classic case that the GPS prefers to route via highways for the fastest route setting.
  • Chris_Sav 125 Points
    Both routes are motorways so that is not the answer as far as I can see.

Probably just another bit of Garmin idiosyncrasy, like my similar problem in the Lake District last year, unless the shorter route regularly known for heavy traffic? that would cause a detour.

Cannot say I have seen a red and white line roads
  • sussamb 815 Points
    Red and white are roads under construction, you shouldn't be routed down them.

That route is weird but I can't check it right now, how though was it created? On the device? If so please post start and finish points.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Try theses coords: N51 34.522 W2 36.720

In mapsource it routes right thru M5.

Are there tolls on that stretch of the m5 and they are activated in the GPS as an avoidance?
    Other than that I am thinking a traffic notice that made the gps reroute and that in the meantime cleared. Does the GPS automatically recalculates a route when a traffic warning is cleared?
  • sussamb 815 Points
    Yes, I've checked it now and can't see how it could possibly have happened except as a traffic re-route (no tolls on the M5)
  • MightyGem 0 Points
    Thanks for the replies.
    Red and white are roads under construction, you shouldn't be routed down them.
    Perhaps that's the intention, but none of the roads that have been indicated like that on the map have had any construction. I've even driven some of them.
    Are there tolls on that stretch of the m5
    No tolls.
    Other than that I am thinking a traffic notice
    No traffic alerts either on the GPS or radio
    Yes, I've checked it now and can't see how it could possibly have happened except as a traffic re-route
    Doesn't explain why it's giving me that route now when it's not receiving any traffic signal.
  • sussamb 815 Points
    edited April 20
    May be time to master reset your nuvi then
  • MightyGem 0 Points
    sussamb said:

May be time to master reset your nuvi then

How do you do that?

• MightyGem 0 Points
    OK, thanks.
  • privet01 215 Points
    Google maps does the same thing. Note that it shows the longer route as faster by 5 minutes. Google maps probably is looking at real time traffic data as well as considering any speed limits.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7YTw7Pviz5Tn9oMn7

https://google.com/maps/dir/Easton-in-Gordano,+Bristol,+UK/51.5984781,-2.4833353/@51.5471545,-2.6224238,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4871f2ace831bef3:0x7de6fb8d5a6c824!2m2!1d-2.702336!2d51.474599!1m0!3e0?hl=en
  • privet01 215 Points
    edited April 22
    I also have had my GPS insist on routing me via certain interstate loops around large cities instead of the shorter and direct interstate route even when the speed limits are the same. I don't have a traffic connection for those GPS's, so it must be there is something in the map data that has set that as a preferred routing for that city.

Sometimes, I've found that traffic has been so effectively re-routed to the loops that I can stay on the direct route and sail through faster than ever with no traffic near me. Birmingham Alabama was one of those places, but now there is some construction going on that's messed that up.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    privet01 said:

Google maps does the same thing. Note that it shows the longer route as faster by 5 minutes. Google maps probably is looking at real time traffic data as well as considering any speed limits.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7YTw7Pviz5Tn9oMn7

https://google.com/maps/dir/Easton-in-Gordano,+Bristol,+UK/51.5984781,-2.4833353/@51.5471545,-2.6224238,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4871f2ace831bef3:0x7de6fb8d5a6c824!2m2!1d-2.702336!2d51.474599!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Google shows that theres work going on that stretch of the hwy M5 so that could explain the weird route so it seems the OP did get the better route.

• privet01 215 Points
    Zemartelo said:

Google shows that theres work going on that stretch of the hwy M5 so that could explain the weird route so it seems the OP did get the better route.

Well yes, I thought that was a given that Google knows about traffic conditions, including construction. What's not clear is whether the OP's 2529 is using traffic info.

If not, then is this a case similar to what I described about my Garmin's without traffic info that route me on the longer loops around some large urban areas even though the more direct route is shorter, same speeds and no otherwise apparent reason that would be caught by the filter settings.
  • MightyGem 0 Points
    What's not clear is whether the OP's 2529 is using traffic info.
    It shows the same route regardless of whether the SatNav is using traffic info(in car), or not(at home in the house).
  • privet01 215 Points
    It shows the same route regardless of whether the SatNav is using traffic info(in car), or not(at home in the house).
    In that case, unless someone else can say with certainty, I'm going to continue to believe that some urban areas have a preferred routing in the map database that the GPS software puts ahead of any user settable filters.

• sussamb 815 Points
    Except mine doesn't route me that way, so it's not attributable to the map database. Will be good to hear back from the OP whether a reset has made any difference.