This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Go 920 Speed limit display

Davew 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I have yet to see a display of the speed limit for the section of road I'm on. At first I thought it was because I was travelling on back country roads and speed info wasn't available but it doesn't work on interstates either. Boston Massachusetts area. Routes 495 and 95.

I do have Show Max Speed next to Speed on the status bar turned on.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Same here. My 760 and 750 shows it when I drive on interstate hiways. None so far with the 920 other than showing your speed.
  • infama 0 Points
    Same here. My 760 and 750 shows it when I drive on interstate hiways. None so far with the 920 other than showing your speed.
    It works for me here in Europe.

Perhaps there is another option you need to select in the navigation preferences.
  • You have to program it in the preference menu what your max speed is set for. Unlike the garmin, it automatically tells you what the speed limit is for the interstates. This I found out last night.
  • infama 0 Points
    You have to program it in the preference menu what your max speed is set for. Unlike the garmin, it automatically tells you what the speed limit is for the interstates. This I found out last night.
    The Garmin is not really customizable, soooo its not very useful to compare them like this.

The Garmin cant show POIs on screen, so you basically get what you see with Garmin. With TT, so much is buried in there!
  • Davew 0 Points
    Thanks Greenapple

Just so I understand correctly. Are you saying the 920 does disply the speed limit of the road you're on?

I've looked a number of on-line "reviews" and many say the 920 does show speed limits BUT it may be that the reviewer didn't really understand the TT specs.

It is a sure thing that you can set a fixed speed limit in preferences that when exceeded sounds an alarm. But it is not automatic.
  • rav 0 Points
    You have to program it in the preference menu what your max speed is set for. Unlike the garmin, it automatically tells you what the speed limit is for the interstates. This I found out last night.
    I have the same issue where the max speed is not seen.
    If you program it in the preference menu for 55mph and you are in a highway that is 65mph, then the TT will say that the max speed is set at 55mph not 65mph. Unfortunately, not automatic.
  • Davew 0 Points
    Good to hear Greenapple. It would be a nice feature to have since the TT 920 is so impressive to show off (yes, I admit one of my weaknesses)
  • Thanks Greenapple

Just so I understand correctly. Are you saying the 920 does disply the speed limit of the road you're on?

Nope. You can program the 920 to have a max speed and the 920 can alert you if you are going faster than that.
  • You have to program it in the preference menu what your max speed is set for. Unlike the garmin, it automatically tells you what the speed limit is for the interstates. This I found out last night.

The Garmin is not really customizable, soooo its not very useful to compare them like this.

The Garmin cant show POIs on screen, so you basically get what you see with Garmin. With TT, so much is buried in there!
    Really? Let me ask you a question. Do you really need to see those POI in the map if you really don''t need to go there? Bottom line, you look for it when you need it not just for display because it still doesn't matter unless you needed to go. Both are good products and neither one is perfect. I'm a newbie but have no loyalty to either brand.
  • infama 0 Points
    edited January 2008

Really? Let me ask you a question. Do you really need to see those POI in the map if you really don''t need to go there? Bottom line, you look for it when you need it not just for display because it still doesn't matter unless you needed to go. Both are good products and neither one is perfect. I'm a newbie but have no loyalty to either brand.
    You can SELECT which POIS you want to see by category. If you go on a road trip, you can set restaurants on screen so that if you need a bathroom break, you can arrange it with a change to get refreshments. On the highway its a bit much to be doing an elaborate POI search at highway speed!

Maybe you are in the mood for a Starbucks latte, well no problemo, if one is on the route, you will see it coming up.

Another example, when I am cruising town, I can set Tennis courts as a POI, so that I can find some obscure clubs in case the regular spot is unavailable. I then can make a mental note for the future.
  • infama 0 Points
    Thanks Greenapple

Nope. You can program the 920 to have a max speed and the 920 can alert you if you are going faster than that.
    Maybe this works differently in the US. I cant recall what it was when I was there over the Xmas break.

With the 910 and the 920 in Europe the actual speed limit is programmed in the machine and if you exceed it by 5 kmph, the speed readout turns red and there is a chime or whatever audible option you choose. The actual speed and the limit sit right beside each other in the info bar at the bottom or side, depending on the configuration chosen. I suspect it works the same way in the US and Canada, but maybe not, as I have never seen or used the "set max speed alert function" you speak of!
  • Thanks Greenapple

Maybe this works differently in the US. I cant recall what it was when I was there over the Xmas break.

With the 910 and the 920 in Europe the actual speed limit is programmed in the machine and if you exceed it by 5 kmph, the speed readout turns red and there is a chime or whatever audible option you choose. The actual speed and the limit sit right beside each other in the info bar at the bottom or side, depending on the configuration chosen. I suspect it works the same way in the US and Canada, but maybe not, as I have never seen or used the "set max speed alert function" you speak of!
    It does not work here with my 920 unless I have missed a programming method and still searching for it. As far as I know at this point, it does not.
  • This feature is good but I found it not practical. Why? You cannot predict when you need a bathroom break. As far as other places you mentioned, these are planned ones and you can still do it with other GPS brands. I may use it but will be very rare.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I tend to agree with the poi issue. I haven't missed having poi's I'm not looking for displayed on my map. If I decide I need gas, or food, I'll look for one along my route. I prefer the map uncluttered. I know you can selectively turn them off on the TT, but why go thru the hassle? I'd just rather they weren't there. I'd bet that the majority of time, most TT users ignore them because they don't need one. The VAST majority of the trips are 2 hours or less at a time, wouldn't you agree? Who really cares if there's a Red Lobster "somewhere out there", and is it so important that it's right there cluttering up the map? I suppose if you're not in a hurry to get going and are extremely organized and really think ahead that you could just show those poi's that you intend to go to. I'm not one of those people, so I don't want all those cute corporate logos that I didn't plan to go to in the first place all over the screen.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I agree that I don't utilize it most of the time. But I do like to use it for "spontaneous stop and side-trips". I'll leave the ones on for museums, tourist attractions, wineries, etc... and if I have some time to kill on the road and I see one coming up, I'll stop.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Tiim, that could be a point. I haven't had the opportunity to use my nav for a pleasure-only trip yet, but I can see how the feature could be hlpful then. I guess I just work toooooo much. 'Course judging from how often I post, Infama will swear I have all the time in the world. :lol:
  • infama 0 Points
    This feature is good but I found it not practical. Why? You cannot predict when you need a bathroom break. As far as other places you mentioned, these are planned ones and you can still do it with other GPS brands. I may use it but will be very rare.
    You dont have young kids, do you?

LoL
  • infama 0 Points
    Tiim, that could be a point. I haven't had the opportunity to use my nav for a pleasure-only trip yet, but I can see how the feature could be hlpful then. I guess I just work toooooo much. 'Course judging from how often I post, Infama will swear I have all the time in the world. :lol:
    Nah, Warren I know you multi-task! Same as me

I recall crusing around downtown Philly with the Museum alert on. It was like a siren going off, as every corner seems to have a museum! :wink:

On screen Pois also seem to give you the lay of the land.
  • dhn 336 Points

Nah, Warren I know you multi-task! Same as me

I recall crusing around downtown Philly with the Museum alert on. It was like a siren going off, as every corner seems to have a museum! :wink:

On screen Pois also seem to give you the lay of the land.
    You want to hear alerts? :lol:

Come up to where I live (Toronto). Download Tim Horton poi's. Set the alert to the 'moo' sound. Like being on a bloody dairy farm! :wink:
  • I do. :wink: I don't have to worry about it. I have both. :D
  • infama 0 Points
    both?? I dont understand.
  • infama 0 Points
    edited January 2008
    Dhn,

Hahahahaha

Good one.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Yes, Infama, one still at home (12). Kind of an "oops"!
  • infama 0 Points
    Yes, Infama, one still at home (12). Kind of an "oops"!
    Gator,

Sorry for the confusion.

The question was for Green.

• Nope. You can program the 920 to have a max speed and the 920 can alert you if you are going faster than that.
    I have question on this topic. How do you set the max speed in TT920 alert us if we cross the max speed?

thanks in advance

• Nope. You can program the 920 to have a max speed and the 920 can alert you if you are going faster than that.

I have question on this topic. How do you set the max speed in TT920 alert us if we cross the max speed?

thanks in advance
    Go to the the preference menu and click "safety preference". Check "warn when driving faster than allowed and warn when driving faster than set speed". Follow the next step and set your max. speed. It will also ask you to choose the type of alert sound you wanted.
  • Go to the the preference menu and click "safety preference". Check "warn when driving faster than allowed and warn when driving faster than set speed". Follow the next step and set your max. speed. It will also ask you to choose the type of alert sound you wanted.
    Greenapple: Thanks, i got it.
  • You're welcome. :wink:
  • infama 0 Points
    You're welcome. :wink:
    Green,
    in the same Safety Prefernce menu, you can click on:

"warn when driving above the speed limit"

This will give you the display I speak of!!!!

This is another selection, quite differnt than "warn when above a set speed".

Try it, you will like it...however, the spped limits may NOT be all correct (these things change often) so still rely on speed limit signs.
  • hudel 0 Points
    This still does not work for me in the US (I can set the check box but there are NO warnings about road-specific speed limits)
  • infama 0 Points
    This still does not work for me in the US (I can set the check box but there are NO warnings about road-specific speed limits)
    OK,

Maybe Europe only.

• Green,

This is not one of the choices you can choose from in the safety preference menu with the 920. The one I quoted above is what you see in the options list.
  • infama 0 Points

Green,

This is not one of the choices you can choose from in the safety preference menu with the 920. The one I quoted above is what you see in the options list.

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. As I didnt have the unit with me, I was using my memory.

In the first safety preference screen, there are 7 choices you can select. The 5th from the top is 'warn when driving faster than allowed'. This is what I was referring to. It is the choice just about the 'warn when driving faster than a set speed'.

I have verified that this is selectable whether using European or American maps. Not sure that it actually works the same in the US, but the selection IS there.
  • I think that the speed limit thing depends on the country. Here in SW France my 760 automatically gives me the speed limit on about 60% of the roads and sounds off and turns red if I exceed it.
    In the UK there is much greater coverage, maybe 90%. I have't found a max speed setting on the 760 - I use the max speed setting device on the car.
  • infama 0 Points
    I think that the speed limit thing depends on the country. Here in SW France my 760 automatically gives me the speed limit on about 60% of the roads and sounds off and turns red if I exceed it.
    In the UK there is much greater coverage, maybe 90%. I have't found a max speed setting on the 760 - I use the max speed setting device on the car.
    Actually,

I think it depends on the map source!
  • I think that the speed limit thing depends on the country. Here in SW France my 760 automatically gives me the speed limit on about 60% of the roads and sounds off and turns red if I exceed it.

Actually,

That is true, but the detail on some countries is better than others. The UK, for example is probably one of the most highly mapped countries in the world.
  • infama 0 Points
    I think that the speed limit thing depends on the country. Here in SW France my 760 automatically gives me the speed limit on about 60% of the roads and sounds off and turns red if I exceed it.

Actually,

That is true, but the detail on some countries is better than others. The UK, for example is probably one of the most highly mapped countries in the world.
    Gotcha.
  • Now that I finally got my TomTom 730 I also noticed that the speed limit is rarely shown.

The only way I found to change it is that a person must go to Main Menu 2 of 3,
    Map Corrections, Correct a Map Error, Change Road Speed (using firmware 8.3)

Does anyone know if there anyway to mark the speed limit for all roads in a state?
    It would take forever to mark each road individually as the device wants a person to.

You would think TomTom could have looked at each states Drivers Handbook and
    marked all of the roads with what they should be without a sign posted.

For example unless a sign is posted in Colorado the speed limits are as follows:
    20 M.P.H. - on narrow, winding mountain highways and blind curves.
    25 M.P.H. - in any business district.
    30 M.P.H. - in any residence district.
    40 M.P.H. - on open mountain highways.
    45 M.P.H. - for vehicles in the business of hauling trash.
    55 M.P.H. - on urban interstate and highways.
    65-75 M.P.H. - on designated rural interstate and highways.

Above speeds are from the Colorado Drivers Handbook
    http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1196845313325
  • Also, if I could point out, the TomTom GO x20 manual states on page 56, under preferences -> Status Bar Preferences:

"Note: If the speed limit for the road you are on is available, it is shown next to your speed.
    If you drive faster than the speed limit, your speed is shown in red."

I guess the operative phrase here is "if the speed limit...is available". As has been pointed out, the speed limit is a map object, so availability depends on the map.
  • It pick up most hwy, and fwy speed limits, as well as many 45+mph road. It does have very limited 30-35mph data.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Comparatively, the TA speed limit data is not as complete as Navteq, at least in North America. The TA speed data is also more likely to be incorrect in my experience.
  • I haven't experienced wrong data yet, but indeed my nuvi 205w picks up many 30, 35mph roads while tomtom does not. Hopefully my report will be processed soon and other people can enjoy it.

Anyway, two questions

1. how long does it take for tomtom to confirm and distribute my corrections?

2. why my own corrected speed limit always shows up as 1 below? ,e.g., I added speed limit of 30mph for a road, why next time it only shows 29mph as speed limit?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The 1mph under variation you noticed is just the way it works. Some have surmised it may be due to conversion between KPH/MPH, but no one has given a solid explanation yet. On the question of how long before your corrections are distributed it's hard to say. Map corrections reported by some others at this forum have never appeared. Some of those have submitted a number of corrections with no action. I know corrections are distributed by TomTom, but I have no idea how long it takes or what verification process they use.
  • crislevin, it's strange that you report that your corrected speed limit of 30 is showing up as 29.

I corrected several residential roads in my town and my 730 show all of them as 31.

I also wished that it was easier to change roads.
    The first time you select it will select the whole road and if you edit then you can select part of the road or any other road pieces (not the same street).

Hopefully, with time there will be a firmware update that will let you select speeds from one poi to another or from one position using browse to another. It would also be nice to select a road class and change the speed for the whole town, area, or state for that class of road. Like I said all residential for example.

I however did notice that when selecting roads in my town that it would also select roads in another town that had the same name but appeared to be at the same latitude.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Map corrections reported by some others at this forum have never appeared. Some of those have submitted a number of corrections with no action.
    Really? When I've looked between devices my corrections have always been applied. Of course the "other" device needs to be running the exact same map version for it to work-- corrections are only applied to one map version.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Are you referring to your corrections distributed to others? If so, then a lot of that would depend on the trust level you set. If set to verified from TomTom, most user submitted changes won't appear in Mapshare. Tim, if I recall, you have yours set to accept all changes regardless of source, correct?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Correct.
  • Corrections are only applied to one map version.
    If I am understanding how Mapshare is implemented then I have concerns.

I find this concerning because that means if I am not running the same map version as the majority of the TomTom community then I will only be receiving updates from a limited user base if upgrading to the latest maps until the majority of the community catches up.

Also, if I am using an older version of maps then the majority of TomTom users I will again be receiving new corrections from a limited user base.

To further complicate matters TomTom releases maps throughout the year and that map is a one time purchase in the US.

So again, what map release that year will most of the TomTom community be running so I would have a larger user base all running the same map version.

Lastly, is it true that you can only get Mapshare update for one year from the date of purchase?

How do you renew your membership into the Mapshare community?
    I am thinking when you buy a new map but how long of a Mapshare renewal do you get?

It also seems logical that you can always send your own corrections.

I know I am new to the GPS community but am strongly feeling at a disadvantage learning how TomTom releases maps in the United States unlike Europe where you get a yearly subscription so you will always have a larger user base running the same map version.

No wonder why Europe's Mapshare is larger (they have a larger user base running the same map version).
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You don't need to "subscribe" to MapShare-- new corrections will only be delivered to devices that have maps that are (roughly) one year old or newer. If you have a map that was released 1.5 years ago or older, it will not receive any more MapShare corrections from other users. You could still (I think) make your own corrections to your own map.

If you purchase a newer official map then you would be able to start receiving new corrections again based on that map version.
    if I am using an older version of maps then the majority of TomTom users I will again be receiving new corrections from a limited user base.
    That is kind of the point. If you are using an old map version you should get an official update.

Many logistical issues come up with management of the data if they tried to make any update submitted work with any map version.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I was going to propose a small test to see how long a submitted change via TTHome takes to work it's way into a mapshare update. Seems the Brits have beaten me to it.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73039&highlight=

Along the way in the thread it seems to explain things a bit more clearly, at least for me.