This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Switching from 720 to 920...question about TomTom Home

HoldenCaulfield 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I decided to switch from the 720 to the 920 because of the POI difference. Should I do anything special with regard to TomTom Home because of the switch to the 920, or can I just plug the 920 in assuming the program will know the difference between the units?

Thanks!

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    I decided to switch from the 720 to the 920 because of the POI difference. Should I do anything special with regard to TomTom Home because of the switch to the 920, or can I just plug the 920 in assuming the program will know the difference between the units?

Thanks!
    My understanding is that 1 device is associated with 1 email account when you set up the account with TomTom.

If so, you may run into issues firing up TTHome where it may give you an incorrect device error.

If I understand correctly, you also have the ability to log into your account on TT's website and somewhere there edit your profile to make the device adjustment. If you don't see it or can't do it, then I guess you might need to contact TT Support for help.

Or, more likely, I don't know what I'm talking about :oops: and you won't have any problems.
  • egale 0 Points
    I had a 720, got rid of the computer, got rid of the 720, got a new computer, got a 920. After I installed TOMTOM Home and hooked up the 920, I had to change the device to the 920 after it connected to the net. I think, if I remember correctly, you can log onto your account on the TomTom website and switch devices too.

You should be able to have multiple devices and update them on one computer.

In any case, it wasn't a problem. I just don't remember exactly where I had to tell Home that I wanted to use the 920.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I've seen a subtle shift in how that works recently. It used to be as described above where I had to have multiple accounts for multiple devices. More recently as I've connected new devices, instead of forcing me to log out or create a new account it asks if I want to link my existing account to the new device.

But as eagle says, it shouldn't be an issue in either case.
  • Thanks guys.

TomTom Home allowed me to connect my 920. I wasn't sure if it added the 920 or switched from the 720 to the 920. It was the latter. When I tried to reconnect the 720, I was told that I can only switch devices once every 6 months.

Not a problem for me since I'm returning the 720, but thought was worth noting in case somebody has two devices.
  • hudel 0 Points
    This arbitra1ry 6-month lock-out is still a hassle as I setup up a 720 for my brother-in-law (using my email) and now am unable to work with my own 920...