This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Elevation display Garmin VS tomtom

rdkmco 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I have owned both Garmin and Tomtom products. The Tomtom one did not indicate elevation in the GPS data screen. I am now considering Nuvi 650 or Tomtom Go 720. Do any of the Tomtoms show the elevation? While this is not vital, living in Colorado makes this a very nice feature.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    You can get that data from third party programs that can be installed on the TomTom (from here), but otherwise no, as far as I know none of the TomTom's show it out of the box.
  • Thanks Tim! I think I am going with the Nuvi 650 as Costo has it on sale now for $299. That just seems like a fantastic deal, does it not?
  • Do any of the Tomtoms show the elevation?
    As far as I know, the 720 does not.
  • You can get that data from third party programs that can be installed on the TomTom (from here), but otherwise no, as far as I know none of the TomTom's show it out of the box.
    Is this freeware?
  • Does adding third party software void the warranty? I would hate to damage the unit as well. Tim, have you personally tried any?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Third party software won't void the warranty, but make a good backup. While it won't void the warranty, it isn't "supported".
  • hudel 0 Points
    Does adding third party software void the warranty? I would hate to damage the unit as well. Tim, have you personally tried any?
    I have to reboot the TT after using this program as otherwise the regula1r TT OS will malfunction and/or hang.