This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom 720 just shuts off

brennan 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
OK, a new problem. I have all the new maps and am running 7.221 version and also have the patch that lets the 720 recognize spoken words. Finished all this yesterday everything working awsome. Took the 720 to my truck this morning and it will only stay on for about 3 min at a time. I get a prompt that says shutting down in 30 seconds. I hit cancel and it will run for about another 3 min. and it all starts again. It is plugged into my truck charger. When I unplug the charger and turn it on it runs fine? I also get ask if I want to connect to my computer when I turn it on in my truck, with the charger plugged in. I have it set to never turn off the screen, and that it is to power down when external power is lost? OK, put you thinking caps on and let me know whats happening?
If I start is before I plug the charger in is doesnt ask to connect to the charger, and it stays on after the charger is plugged in.
Thanks
Brennan

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I also get ask if I want to connect to my computer when I turn it on in my truck, with the charger plugged in.
    I think that is the key right there. GPS devices determine if they go into USB mode or normal mode based on the power they sense. They detect the difference between a power cable and a computer by the amount of power detected. I hear of this happening a couple of times per month on various devices. In the end it is almost always determined that (a) there is something slightly off about the electrical system in the vehicle not putting out the correct amount of power or (somewhat related) (b) the person was using a power splitter or something else between the power cord and the car's power adapter.

So your GPS thinks it is connected to a computer rather than a car power source based on the power readings it is finding.
  • Tim, Im not sure. When it was new I ran it no problem. Same charger and same truck? After the updates and "tweaks" it shuts off.
    Probably some secret file?
    Thanks
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Have you tried a reset?
  • Im kinda afraid to after all the work I went through to get everything on it. What would I do, just reset it and then restore with tomtom home?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    There is a reset button on the bottom. That shouldn't restore any of your settings... it is more like a hard reboot.
  • Are you sure that your Power Save setting didn't change? I had the same problem, thinking that the Power Save, or maybe its called Battery Save, I forget, only applied to the unit when it was running on internal battery power. Per TT, I was wrong. They tell me that the power source, whether it be USB, vehicle, etc, is nothing more than a "battery maintainer", that the unit always runs on internal battery, much like an electric shaver. Therefore, the Power Save setting applies whether you are connected to your vehicle battery or not. If the setting changed, then the unit is shutting down based on inactivity, not power source.

Tim's explanation is actually the more logical, however, its not the case, per TT.
  • The unit was active every time it did it. Just driving down the road the screen would change and say chutting down in 30 seconds. Just like it does when you have the unit set to shut off when external power is lost.
    The only 2 battery setting I see are when to shut the screen off and I have never and to shut off when external power is lost and I have that set to yes.
    I will have to try a reset.
    Thanks
  • Well, it was the "never" that kept it on for me with the same symptoms. I too thought it was active, but I think active means that Zelda is feeding you verbal instructions. Yes, I named her Zelda...

When Zelda spoke frequently, the screen stayed on, but when she was quiet, the screen blanked out.

As I type this, I think I see a difference that I didn't recognize before. My screen just blanked out and I could restore just by touching the screen. I guess your unit shut down, huh? Sorry, didn't realize that until now. Different problem...
  • Battery Saving Preferences: 'Never Turm screen Off' then on next screen uncheck 'Switch off when external power is lost'.
  • I have: never turn off screen checked and have turn off when external power is off, checked, although I tried that one both ways.
    I tried it again today...when I turned is on it ask me if I wanted to connect to the computer, I hit yes, it connected (dont know to what) and stayed on just fine. Go figure?
    Brennan
  • hudel 0 Points
    I have: never turn off screen checked and have turn off when external power is off, checked, although I tried that one both ways.
    I tried it again today...when I turned is on it ask me if I wanted to connect to the computer, I hit yes, it connected (dont know to what) and stayed on just fine. Go figure?
    Brennan
    I have a similar problem (i.e. two weeks with no issues, but now TT shutting down when on car charger, also asks whether to connect to computer when only plugging into car charge - again this did not happen in the same car a few days ago).

ODD!
  • hudel 0 Points
    I have: never turn off screen checked and have turn off when external power is off, checked, although I tried that one both ways.
    Brennan
    Funny, when I say YES when the TT asks to connect to a computer (when only plugged in to the car 12V) is shuts down instantly, i.e. the screen turns dark and it's unresponsive.
  • Hi there,

I recently create a ticket with TomTom to get a solution for this issue, waiting for an answer. This is what's going on.

When you connect your TomTom to your computer, and you say No to connect to it, it will automatically shuts off after 3 minutes of inactivity so that it can charge faster. It's actually a feature with TomTom.

The problem is that using the car charger, it doesn't know you don't have a computer plugged it. So, if you don't use it for 3 minutes, it auto shuts off.

Like you, I tried to say Yes to connect to the computer using a USB car charger, and the thing freezes up.

I'm waiting for TomTom reply. The only workaround for now is to charge it fully before using it during the day, and only use the USB car charger when the battery is low to recharge it again. I know it's as dull answer, but I can't find anything else better for now.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It sounds like a power issue and the device doesn't think it is connected to typical car power. This happens frequently when it is plugged into things like power splitters or there is some sort of electrical weirdness in the vehicle.
  • hudel 0 Points
    It sounds like a power issue and the device doesn't think it is connected to typical car power. This happens frequently when it is plugged into things like power splitters or there is some sort of electrical weirdness in the vehicle.

TIM, AS I OUTLINED ABOVE, I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, WITHOUT A POWER SPLITTER OR ANYTHING OF THAT SORT. MY TT920 WORKED FINE IN MY BMW ON CAR POWER FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS, THEN ALL OF THE SUDDEN IT STARTED THE SHUTDOWN / CONNECT TO COMPUTER MADNESS.

I DOUBT IT'S GENERIC VEHICLE POWER WEIRDNESS, MY GUESS IS TT WEIRDNESS.

I AM GLAD Mordillo_98 PUT IN A TICKET, PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT TT'S FINDINGS ARE.
  • infama 0 Points

TIM, AS I OUTLINED ABOVE, I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, WITHOUT A POWER SPLITTER OR ANYTHING OF THAT SORT. MY TT920 WORKED FINE IN MY BMW ON CAR POWER FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS, THEN ALL OF THE SUDDEN IT STARTED THE SHUTDOWN / CONNECT TO COMPUTER MADNESS.

I DOUBT IT'S GENERIC VEHICLE POWER WEIRDNESS, MY GUESS IS TT WEIRDNESS.

I AM GLAD Mordillo_98 PUT IN A TICKET, PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT TT'S FINDINGS ARE.
    Could be faulty car chargers.
  • Same problem here on a brand new 920. No solution.
  • rav 0 Points
    Why don't you guys try plugging it in in a friends/rental/relatives car and see if it is the car or the device. :idea:
  • It does this for me with the car charger, as well as with the cradle. This is the second 920 I've used, with two different chargers, two different cradles, and I have the same problems.

TomTom has known this for months now and has not provided a fix. I suspect they've got a hardware issue... fortunately, it's not too late for me to return this unit as well.

I'm wondering why Garmin has been able to consistently put together a solid GPS, and TomTom keeps manufacturing "issues"?
  • Why don't you guys try plugging it in in a friends/rental/relatives car and see if it is the car or the device. :idea:
    Indeed, this is the logical next step while you wait for a TT response. Please share the results when you test your TT with another car. We'll all be interested. :)
  • Why don't you guys try plugging it in in a friends/rental/relatives car and see if it is the car or the device. :idea:

Indeed, this is the logical next step while you wait for a TT response. Please share the results when you test your TT with another car. We'll all be interested. :)
    Hi PChip,

What's up?

Any issues on your TT?

Mine is going strong with nothing really adverse to report.
  • Infama, I'll PM you so as not to hijack this thread.
  • Spoke with TT tech support. They are blaming the car adapter. But I explained that it was also the dock. They said it was both then. But I replied that this is the second 920 I've tested. They said return it also.

I think TT is over their heads on this one. I feel badly for them because, though their product is my first choice (because of the way POI's can be handled), their GPS is useless if it keeps shutting off during navigation. Fortunately, I'm still within the return period.

Watch out TT... Navigon is on your tail! And Garmin... well, I lost sight of their exhaust trail a long time ago.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    But I explained that it was also the dock
    Isn't that by design though? My 720 and the 920 I had both didn't experience any power issues with the car charger. However when in the dock they both shut themselves off after a certain amount of inactivity when not in disk mode.
  • No, that is not normal behavior when "Never Turn Screen Off" is selected in the preferences.

What it does in the dock is not as critical as what it does in the car. Turning off during navigation is a bug, though I'm not convinced that it is hardware, or hardware alone. I, as well as another user, noticed the problem begin after a software update.
  • No, that is not normal behavior when "Never Turn Screen Off" is selected in the preferences.

What it does in the dock is not as critical as what it does in the car. Turning off during navigation is a bug, though I'm not convinced that it is hardware, or hardware alone. I, as well as another user, noticed the problem begin after a software update.
    What software update was that?

The shutdown in the dock IS normal behaviour. "Never turn off" is only for car usage.

It IS possible that your cig lighter is causing the problem, especially since its the 2nd unit that shows the same behaviour. To fully rule this out, use the device in another car that you are sure has no problems.

What software update was that?

The shutdown in the dock IS normal behaviour. "Never turn off" is only for car usage.

It IS possible that your cig lighter is causing the problem, especially since its the 2nd unit that shows the same behaviour. To fully rule this out, use the device in another car that you are sure has no problems.
    It doesn't matter which car, which adapter, which dock, or which unit---they all shut off after three minutes.

This is widely reported on several forums. TomTom has been unable to fix it for six months. I just found out because I just bought the 920.

• What software update was that?
    Whatever the most recent one is.