This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 1.1 Update Information!

AngelArs 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
The new Navigon 1.1 update has now been released. See your MyNavigon account for the proper link to download it. Before posting questions about the update, please see the FAQ section listed here. Happy updating :)

Comments

• I just updated my Navigon 7100 and took it for a little test drive while going out to diner. Not enought time for full evalution.
    One improvement, the "optimium route" seems to be working the way it should. My destination was the next town over 10 miles from my home. The previous version took me out of the way with a longer route on the "optimum" setting, now it selected a direct route which is the most optimum.
    The "U turn" feature is not corrected. My setting is for "No" u-turn" but it still directs me to make "U-turns".
  • Yes it looks like they tweaked some of the routes but I think the main routing update comes out in March. Bluetooth seems to work better too.
  • Don't see any real diff on POI's.

It would really benefit us if we could do a POI search by name.
  • You can, but I think you have to be in route to a destination first... I remember seeing it in the manual.
  • I updated, went easy as pie, could have been a whole lot easier but that was due to my thinking I needed Fresh installed. I did try to port it to Ubuntu last week but was unable to run it in Wine. So I shutdown Ubuntu and booted into Windows and then did the update. It would have been much faster to just do it thru Ubuntu.

I have no idea if it is improved yet but imagine it is, I did have problems with TTS about 30% of the time, not finishing street names etc or cutting off, so hopefully this will be improved.

PS I am probably better at judging 500 feet than .1 miles :D

Man I love it, I had to wait no time before my first update, I have not even had mine a week yet!
  • I just updated my 2100.
    It took a rather long time for it to start up and pick up a signal (the satellite icon did not even show up at first).

Once it got going, I think it is definitely faster and smoother then before. It seems that there are less categories and sub categories to go though and searches definably feel faster.

I definitely like that some of the Direct access buttons offer multiple pages of results. For restaurants and shopping centers, there is always a next page option, where it searches for the next nearest search.
    However, gas station, and possibly others are still limited to the .5 mile radius in direct access.

You could always search my name, you just need to select All Categories in the POI section.
    The text search is still a little slow, but faster then before, I don't notice the search text disappear every time I entered a letter as it searches. However, if will not give you all the results from only a couple letters, once you put in more they show up just fine and rather fast.

I have not driven with it yet, I only hope it improver the unit's stability for me.
  • I hope Navigon decides to provide the sat location data like tomtom does. That would significantly reduce the amount of time it takes the units to aquire the sat signals in the morning. That would be one feature I'd like to see.
  • According to the release notes, this upgrade covers:

This incremental software update is designed to address the issues highlighted in the Version 1.1 Release:

> Easier POI searches − Easier Revamped POI Proximity Searches—greatly improved ability to do a Nearby Search for POIs near an address or POI (accessible via the Options menu) − Larger search radius for NEARBY searches for POIs

> Improved voice guidance − Updated turn prompts expresses the distance to maneuver in “500 feet” instead of “0.1 miles” − Updated U-Turn Logic means fewer U-Turn prompts

> Text-to-Speech (TTS) enhancements − Guidance given for all streets—each and every street name is articulated, not just the streets that are of a 500 feet or greater distance − Enhanced articulation of non-standard street names (e.g. expressway)

> User interface improvements − Revised text strings for some menus − Better stability when saving user settings − Direct Access POIs updated when restoring Factory Default Settings

> Improved Bluetooth stability on the NAVIGON 7100

> Better handling of Time Zones in Canada
  • "You could always search my name, you just need to select All Categories in the POI section"

Still don't see how to.

After tapping POI's. I tap nearby/city/nationwide. Tap on either one and go to All POI's..sub category pops up and can't input alpha search for ie: Staples.
  • Staples is not in the database, and would need to be entered in manually...
  • I just gave Staples as an example.

Maybe it's been a long day or 2 for me.

Can't see how to search manually.
  • Which model do you have, 2100, 5100, 7100?
  • 2100 with the latest update.
  • New Destination
    Search for POI
    I choose : In a City but you can choose any one of the 3 choices:
    Nearby, In a City, or Nationwide
    Select the City on top (if you selected In a City)
    Then under Category - you select All Categories or you can pick a specific category like Restaurants

When it brings up a list of matching POI's - you simply start typing the 1st letter of what you are looking for and the list will narrow from there -
    very easy!!!
    I've used this feature many times.
    If no matches, your list will turn up empty, otherwise it will begin narrowing by the name you are typing....
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks on the tip.

I was able to do that in the past, but was hoping that since my 2100 which has the 5100 POI's and Maps was able to do more, ie: type a POI not within the category list and find it.
  • I was able to do that in the past, but was hoping that since my 2100 which has the 5100 POI's and Maps was able to do more, ie: type a POI not within the category list and find it.
    Sorry to go off topic, but to the 5100 maps on a 2100 do you just place them in the map area and the appropriate POI area and select the map?
    Also, are there noticeably more POIs on the 5100 (5M vs 1.6M), meaning do you really notice more entries in when looking for something?

Thanks
  • type a POI not within the category list and find it.
    I'd be surprised if there were any uncategorized POIs.
  • type a POI not within the category list and find it.

I'd be surprised if there were any uncategorized POIs.
    Excelent question. The update removed some categories like Public Bathroom and Public phone so there definetly are uncatagorized POI's. I wonder if you can still find them though a text search if you know how to look?
  • I never found any public bathrooms in the POI in my town. I think it is a European thing, like some of the gasoline station brands.

But really, in the POI database the category would just be another attribute to the POI. If they can't categorize it, why would it even be in there?
  • coop 0 Points
    still waiting for a Map update and the ability to purchase accessories here in the states.
  • They said they fixed Bluetooth, but for us they ruined it.

We can no longer connect to our phone... :(
  • waiting for a Map update and the ability to purchase accessories here in the states.
    March 2008.
  • I was able to do that in the past, but was hoping that since my 2100 which has the 5100 POI's and Maps was able to do more, ie: type a POI not within the category list and find it.

Sorry to go off topic, but to the 5100 maps on a 2100 do you just place them in the map area and the appropriate POI area and select the map?
    Also, are there noticeably more POIs on the 5100 (5M vs 1.6M), meaning do you really notice more entries in when looking for something?

Thanks
    A def difference on how many POI's. In regard to the map/poi's. I was able to purchase a 5100 Navigon CD off ebay.
  • still waiting for a Map update and the ability to purchase accessories here in the states.

You can, I was at a Office Depot in McAllen Tx, last weekend and they had all the Navigon accessories.
  • still waiting for a Map update and the ability to purchase accessories here in the states.

You can, I was at a Office Depot in McAllen Tx, last weekend and they had all the Navigon accessories.
    No. They had silly accessories like cases when there are better third party cases. The needed accessories like the easily broken mounts, the chargers, mount heads are not available. US customers are orphaned by Navigon on this.
  • They do have chargers, I thought the cases sucked to be honest.

As for replacing broken mounts, no they do not carry those.

Here is a case I got from Wal Mart for six bucks, fits 2100 perfect.

http://i31.tinypic.com/k20ft3.jpg

Inside of case with side pouch for extra SD card, stylus, usb cable.

http://i27.tinypic.com/246tnk4.jpg
  • Proclip makes a good mount. That's what I'm using. I really dislike the windshield mounts mainly because they are obvious targets for thieves. A little expensive (about $70 for the adapter and mount plate) but worth it to me. Now I have my navigon mounted exactly where I want it.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.asp
  • randomimage,
    They do not have chargers. There are only generic devices at double the price of other third party makers. They have no chargers and if you ask by email they will tell you using any other charger voids warranty. I had one tech recommend ebay, he looked up a "Navigon" charger on ebay and it turned out to be a generic with half the rated wattage and it locked my Naviogon into data transfer. A second ebay seller who promised to have tested the devices sent he exact same model. Ebay sellers just list any 12 volt charger withthe same appearing head as "Navigon" charger. The official site has screen protectors and pouches that are the same size as Garmins and hundreds of other devices with the same screen size etc.
  • coop 0 Points
    I need to get and extra car charger, external antenna and extra traffic antenna (with the 90deg plug they show). I want to make a hard mount for my car, but need these things to make it work and still have it so that I can use it in another car if needed.
    I would order them from across the pond if they would let me, but you can't.
  • Tim 1497 Points
    Anyone following along the original topic of this thread might want to know about the new update:

Navigon 1.2 Update and FREE Map Update!