This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

1 year latest map guarantee for TT920

Davew 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I bought a TT 920 from Costco for Xmas. I had previously seen 1 year latest map guarantee. Inside the box was a certificate with a code. Trouble is, the certificate refers to a TT 720 and says "valid for 30 days from the date you start using yout TT Go 720." This is on the certificate inside the 920 box!

There is still a TT site ( http://www.tomtom.com/page/1yearmaps ) that says the TT GO 920 is eligible for free maps for 1 year. It says to check after Jan 25 for a new map. I'm pretty sure that the code on my 720 certificate will not get me recognized as a 920 owner.

Does anyone know what the "real deal" is and how I should proceed to get a new map later this year?

Thanks

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    The "real deal" is what you get inside the box or perhaps what you were promised at the time of sale.
  • Davew,

I got the 920 from the same source and it had the 1-year map offer. Have you contacted support asking them why a 720 offer card was placed in a 920 box?

Mike
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Which one you get depends on the time of production.
  • Davew 0 Points
    I haven't contacted support yet. Figured I'd keep below the radar until I had more info. At this point I have nothing to loose. I'll let you know what they say ... and if it's positive I'll get something in writing from them.
  • F2 0 Points
    I haven't contacted support yet. Figured I'd keep below the radar until I had more info. At this point I have nothing to loose. I'll let you know what they say ... and if it's positive I'll get something in writing from them.
    I got my 920, NINE-TWENTY, from Costco, too, and it only included that 720, one-month coupon. Please let us know what you learn.

I guess one could play the "I will return it to Costco (for any reason)" option if Tomtom does not recognize the ONE YEAR update. It would not help TT if Costco does not carry tomtom due to issues like deceptive or confusing marketing practices.
  • I got mine at Costco, it had the 720 card. I called Support, they updated my records and said that the 920 qualified for 1 yr map guarantee and that there would be no problems.
  • With the new version of TomTom Home (2.2) you no longer need a code for the one year update offer.
  • Davew 0 Points
    I presently have version 2.1.2.121. If I upgrade to the latests as of tonight (2.2.0.33), are you saying you can get free north america maps no matter when you bought a 920, or what coupon came with it?

Please explain what you have found out. (When did you buy ... what did your coupon say .... ??)

Any idea when new north america maps will be available?

Thanks,

Dave
  • I tried to use the code that came with mine but it would not accept it. I contacted TomTom and they told me that with the new version of "TomTom Home" you did not need a coupon any longer. I got my 920 last week and the coupon said "New Maps for One Year". That's as far as I know.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    When TomTom told you the code is no longer necessary with the new version of HOME, they are referring to version 2 or greater.
  • hudel 0 Points
    With the new version of TomTom Home (2.2) you no longer need a code for the one year update offer.
    Yes, this seems like a nice feature, but and in deed it tells me I have access to the newly released Western Euro maps, BUT there is not enough room on my 920, it says to clear 250 MB, I only have ~130 MB space (and I have not loaded any images, mp3 etc).

So it appears that the news maps (new Western Euro [naturally larger] and old Americas) are too big to fit on the device without an extra SD card?

Any suggestions? I really liked the fact that the 920 held both maps at the same time, I'd hate to have to juggle maps again...
  • In addition to hudel question. Can the 920 run one set of maps from internal memory and another from an sd card?

Thanks!
  • dhn 336 Points
    In addition to hudel question. Can the 920 run one set of maps from internal memory and another from an sd card?

Thanks!
    The 720 can so I'm sure the 920 can, as well.....

The choice of map is gotten via the Manage Maps icon on the unit.
  • In addition to hudel question. Can the 920 run one set of maps from internal memory and another from an sd card?

Thanks!

The 720 can so I'm sure the 920 can, as well.....

The choice of map is gotten via the Manage Maps icon on the unit.
    Yes, i run mine like that.
  • infama,

So you just copy the entire map folder over to the sd card, then delete that folder from internal memory?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • infama,

So you just copy the entire map folder over to the sd card, then delete that folder from internal memory?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Yes!

If the card has no issues, you can select it in Home...if not then you cant.

My 8gb card does not show up in Home, but all the functions on it work, ie mp3 and maps. My 4gb sandisk ultra 2 works in Home and thus is selectable in Home.

No big deal as both cards work fine in the 920..just that you cant mapshare with the non connectable SD card. I just switch maps around with copy past in order o keep them updated on Home.
  • herm 0 Points
    my Costco 920 came with the 1 year free map update coupon for the 920. However, when i try to use the code provided, it doesn't work. When i try to upgrade the maps via the Home software, Tomtom tells me that i am only entitled to 30 days free. Of course, it is past 30 days since i bought it.
    I have emailed Tomtom....
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'd give them a call on the phone on Monday. Other people who got the 1 year certificate have called them and they have noted it as such in your account.
  • Even I got my TT920 at Costco with the 1 year free map update coupon. I tried to upgrade the maps but i get the below msg

There is a newer map available

Unfortunately you are not eligible for a free maps update. Either the 30 days period has expired for your device
    was not with a Latest Map Guarantee"
  • herm 0 Points
    i called TomTom this morning, 2/9 , and was told that the 920s came with the latest maps. V710 is the latest map, according to the person i spoke to today.
    she said to call back in 6 months or so, when there might a new map and that they would honor my one year certificate at that time.
  • rav 0 Points
    i called TomTom this morning, 2/9 , and was told that the 920s came with the latest maps. V710 is the latest map, according to the person i spoke to today.
    she said to call back in 6 months or so, when there might a new map and that they would honor my one year certificate at that time.
    Why did she say 6 months when map 7.15 is coming up soon?
  • herm 0 Points
    she was just saying that maps generally come out every 6 months or so. when will the next map version be available?
  • I also got my TomTom 920 from CostCo with the 1-year map guarantee and was unable to update the latest European map V715. I called TomTom 2/9/2008 and was also given the information that the new U.S. will be coming up in June or this summer.

I was told that the 1-year map guarantee does not cover European map. The problem may be due to storage issue. New Europe and U.S. map may exceed 4 GB space. That sucks.
  • Up to this morning Home was telling me that I had the latest maps. However beginning this morning it said there was a new Europe map and offered to download it. However, the new map is 300MB larger than the old one and so Home asks you what components you would like to remove to make space. What I did was get a 4GB SDHC card from Costco for $35. I installed it onto the SD card and then switched to the internal memory and got Home to delete the ols Europe Map. While it means you need to get a SD card, the upside is that you now have over 2GB of space on your internal memory which will cover you when the NA map is released and you have room for more POIs, Voices and stuff.
    Regards, Murray
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You need to go here as I think the certificate says.

http://www.tomtom.com/1yearmaps/
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Tim, Infama has apparently confirmed that TT is not including European maps in the 1 year map guarantee
  • TableTennisFan:
    According to this "http://yournav.com/content/n/418/New_TomTom_maps_available.html"
    and another thread in this forum a US map update is "coming later this week".
  • Thanks for the info. rtn5000.

With respect to the 1-year map guarantee, I sense there are some inconsistencies here. On one hand, Tim and Infama confirmed that the 1-year map guarantee is for North America map only. On the other hand, mistermonday (Murray) was able to update the lastest western-and-central European map for free through TomTom Home. Is it due to the glitch on TomTom home? Interesting isn't it?

I hope Murray will still be able to update the North America map when it comes out.
  • Thanks for the info. rtn5000.

With respect to the 1-year map guarantee, I sense there are some inconsistencies here. On one hand, Tim and Infama confirmed that the 1-year map guarantee is for North America map only. On the other hand, mistermonday (Murray) was able to update the lastest western-and-central European map for free through TomTom Home. Is it due to the glitch on TomTom home? Interesting isn't it?

I hope Murray will still be able to update the North America map when it comes out.
    Actually, both maps should be covered. It is TT that is backpedalling.
  • Infama, I purchased my unit at Costco at the special $399 price. It came with a Latest Map Guarantee of 30 days and a 1 yr free updates to Map Share. In fact the card in the box refers to the TT720 (I guess there was no reason to waste the old cards). I activated TT Home 28 days ago. So if the NA map is not out in the next 2 days I may be out of luck. I will let you know what happens when the new map is released.
    Regards, Murray
  • mistermonday:
    I thought the countdown of the 30 days begins when you activate your TomTom Unit not TT Home Software.
  • registered and updated the TT920 at the same time. Never expected the new maps to be released this early. Oh well, will see what happens.
    Rgds, MM
  • If TomTom says "1-year latest map guarantee" and they are only honoring for North America but not the European map, I think we should all write to Better Business Bureau (BBB) and voice our opinions.
  • hudel 0 Points
    Tim, Infama has apparently confirmed that TT is not including European maps in the 1 year map guarantee
    I just tried the download of the new Euro map (Intel Mac), TT Home 2.2.1.26.

TT Home says there is a free map update, and after I made room for it (the 4GB internal memory can no longer hold both the North America and the Western Europe Maps!!!), the transfer started.

Three times in a row the transfer finished (took about 30 minutes each), but each time after the count-down timer had reach 0:00 and TT Home sat there for a minute, it came back with an 'Internal server error'.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Have not experienced it during the map download but have experienced it a number of other times downloading other items from the servers. The TT Servers do have their bad days. Recommend that you park it for a few hours or some other off peak time.
    Rgds, Murray
  • hudel 0 Points
    Have not experienced it during the map download but have experienced it a number of other times downloading other items from the servers. The TT Servers do have their bad days. Recommend that you park it for a few hours or some other off peak time.
    Rgds, Murray
    Good advice, I tried about 15 more times (each time downloading almost 2 GB over the net!). I got a variety of errors, but on the 15th try it worked!

Now I have to get an SD card as the old N-America and the new Euro maps do not fit on the internal 4 GB memory at the same time...
  • PTJD 0 Points
    Yep, I have a one year certificate and it won't let me update on TT home.
    I went to http://www.tomtom.com/1yearmaps/ and it states only N America maps but the certificate that came with the unit does not mention specific maps only.
    I also tried to manually insert the code on the certificate at tom tom and it comes back as invaild. :cry:
  • 7.15 for USA&Canada is out!
  • PTJD 0 Points
    I still can't get an update! :x
  • I still can't get an update! :x
    Call them!
  • I just called TomTom support and they actually did not know that the new North America has come out. Thanks to rtn5000, we get a chance to inform the TomTom support that there is a new NA Map.

For those people with the 1-year map guarantee in United States, you need to show your proof of purchase. You can either fax your receipt to 978-405-1603 or go to http://tomtom.com/7783 and submit your e-mail confirmation if you bought it online.
  • I had a similar result.

They didn't know about 7.15 and after checking saw that it came out just today. But she said there were problems with it which is why it's not available for the update and the dept that takes care of that is off today for the holiday.

I just updated my ticket with a copy of my receipt and need to call them back so they can add it to my acct.
  • PTJD 0 Points
    OK Update, called TT support line and sure enough the guy did not know about the update or a 1 year guarantee. I gave my name address e-mail and serial number of the unit and in 2 minutes he OK'd it, I did not have to fax or mail in anything.
    I went back on and ran updater in TT home and yes there was a N america and european map updates waiting for me.
    I just finished downloading N America and it seems to work fine, now I need to copy that and download Europe!
  • hudel 0 Points
    7.15 for USA&Canada is out!
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Weird thing: My TT home does not see the new US map, only the new Western Europe map (which I have already downloaded & updated AND which resides only on my laptop due to space issues on the 4 GB internal memory).

Does anyone know how I can get the new US/Can map? I bought my TT920 in California...
  • North America and USA&Canada maps seems to have shrunken in size by a few 100mbs. I wonder why...
    And PTDJ can you confirm it's the 7.15 NA Map you downloaded?
    Also snowjay that response from TT seems a little odd.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    From the info you guys are getting from TT, can you assune TT has done an about face and is honoring 1 year map guarantee for BOTH EU and NA maps for the 920?
  • I downloaded the 715 NA Map. My North America folder has the file size =2,008,445,888 bytes (1.87 GB). I have a few custom POIs in this folder and they are small.

Although I have a 1-year map guarantee, TomTom will only honor the latest NA map. They won't honor the latest European map.

For those of you who are able to download NA and Euro maps, are you within the 30-days since you bought the device?
  • From the info you guys are getting from TT, can you assune TT has done an about face and is honoring 1 year map guarantee for BOTH EU and NA maps for the 920?
    Those guys may be getting the Euro map thru the 30 day guarantee, however, you can press them for both.
  • I tried again to get the new maps and it still says my device has the latest map? Is this a one map-update...if I downloaded the new europe maps will it not let me get the North America update?

Thanks.
  • PTJD 0 Points
    From the info you guys are getting from TT, can you assune TT has done an about face and is honoring 1 year map guarantee for BOTH EU and NA maps for the 920?

Those guys may be getting the Euro map thru the 30 day guarantee, however, you can press them for both.
    I did not have to press to get both, I bought my 920 in late November.

Yep NA 715, took about 80 minutes to update, now driving around this morning did not see any differences between the old map and new. I am currently downloading the European update.