This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

A general traffic receiver post - BIG PROBLEM

hudel 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
The receiver seems to work so-so in metro LA and metro SF (at least I receive incidents, although several had cleared when they were still being displayed).

The real issue is that there are ABSOLUTELY NO FM stations with a signal on the whole central valley stretch on I5 between San Francisco and LA. So no info about the grapevine, no info on whether to take the I405 or the I5 when going through LA.

The same is true for the entire length of highway 395 (eastern Sierra).

I am bummed that I spent the extra $100 on that rather useless (and clumsy) receiver, getting traffic info via internet/GPRS/cell phone seems to be the way to go, at least in the areas without FM coverage.

Comments

• I know. The traffic antenna is almost useless in Los angeles.
  • I have GPRS and when I create routes in the LA area, I don't always seem to be getting the traffic reports. This has nothing to do with getting a signal, as I am on the east coast right now.

I get really good traffic in Chicago, however.
  • hudel 0 Points
    The receiver seems to work so-so in metro LA and metro SF (at least I receive incidents, although several had cleared when they were still being displayed).

The real issue is that there are ABSOLUTELY NO FM stations with a signal on the whole central valley stretch on I5 between San Francisco and LA. So no info about the grapevine, no info on whether to take the I405 or the I5 when going through LA.

The same is true for the entire length of highway 395 (eastern Sierra).

I am bummed that I spent the extra $100 on that rather useless (and clumsy) receiver, getting traffic info via internet/GPRS/cell phone seems to be the way to go, at least in the areas without FM coverage.
    Had another even worse occurrence recently:

On my way from Ventura to Irvine (101/I405) I was warned about a car fire near Wilshire with a predicted delay of 2 hours and 9 minutes!!! for a supposed 6.5 miles traffic jam. I was looking for way to avoid that stretch but ended up (luckily) driving the original route anyhow - turns out there was only a minor slow-down, I lost 10 minutes max.

Similar occurrence half-an-hour later near Westminster where an traffic incident listed until I reached the supposed area had been cleared (or never happened).

TMC SUCKS!!! Wasted $100...
  • I refuse to be a paying guinea pig. :lol: