This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Maps and Memory Management

mistermonday 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
When I go to download the new Europe map, Home tells me I need to remove 200MB of memory but outside of the 3 maps present there is only 150MB. Do I need to add an SD Card, load the new map on the new card and then delete the old map form the TT920?

Tks & regards, Murray

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    When I go to download the new Europe map, Home tells me I need to remove 200MB of memory but outside of the 3 maps present there is only 150MB. Do I need to add an SD Card, load the new map on the new card and then delete the old map form the TT920?

Tks & regards, Murray
    That should work......
  • did that do the trick ?? and how do you get thr tt920 to reconize the SD Card ?
  • dhn 336 Points
    did that do the trick ?? and how do you get thr tt920 to reconize the SD Card ?
    The x20 series of tomtom's do not require the operating system to be in the same location as the maps; consequently, the user can go to 'manage maps' in tomtom and switch his/her map in that manner. The unit will see (or 'should' :? ) a map regardless of whether it is stored in internal memory or on a sd card.
  • did that do the trick ?? and how do you get thr tt920 to reconize the SD Card ?

The x20 series of tomtom's do not require the operating system to be in the same location as the maps; consequently, the user can go to 'manage maps' in tomtom and switch his/her map in that manner. The unit will see (or 'should' :? ) a map regardless of whether it is stored in internal memory or on a sd card.
    As long as all maps are authorized and intact in their folders, they can be used either in internal memory and/or on SD card. I am currently doing this on my 920, so I can 100% vouch that it works.
  • Yes that worked find thanks. I have since bought a 4GB SD card and have went into my computer and do a cut and paste of the central Europe map from the 920 to the SD card thus leaving more memory on the 920.

As another point of interest I tried to back up my 920 on my desktop but it told me I didn't have enough room. The issue is that I have my HD petitioned with a much larger drive D than C and the default back up is to drive C so by looking in help I was able to go into file management on TT home and change backup settings to a file on drive D.
  • Yes, everything works fine. With the extra 4GB SDHC card hosting the Europe Map, there is lots of free space on the internal memory. While the TT920 manages to see everything on both internal memory and SD storage, TT Home is somewhat frustrating! When Home finds the TT920 it offers you the choice to work in one memory space or the other. When you chose one, it no longer sees the other memory space unless you use the Tools > Change Device. So now when I select Internal Memory and I click the Check for Updates button in Home, it keeps offering to download the new Europe map because its too stupid to to check the SD card, or to remember that the new map is already on the SD Card and is also in the Backup folder on the hard drive.
    Regards, Murray
  • So if I update the europe maps, I will have to keep some data on an SD card, or does the device simple need the extra space to store the temporary files while it performs tue update?

Thanks
  • hudel 0 Points
    So if I update the europe maps, I will have to keep some data on an SD card, or does the device simple need the extra space to store the temporary files while it performs tue update?

Thanks
    No, yu will need a card as it cannot hold both maps due to the size increase (about 300 MB) of the new Western Euro map. Bummer!!!
  • The TT920 came with 4GB of internal memory. With the three maps, operating system, and other misc little files there was approx 170MB of free space to add more stuff. HOWEVER, the new Europe map is approx 400MB larger than the old one. Therefore your only choice is to add an SD card. Your simplest approach would be to install the new Europe map on the SD card and then delete the old one from the internal TT920 memory. You could also move the NA map to the SD Card and put the new Europe map on the internal TT920 memory. But the two maps are too large to co-reside on the internal memory.
    Rgds, Murray
  • Well that just sucks. I bought this particular one as I travel to europe quite a bit and thought it was awesome that the device could hold all the maps without external memory. Guess they under-estimated the growth of the maps.... Will a 2G card do it or am I going to need a 4G to put the euro maps on the sd card?

Thanks!
  • hudel 0 Points
    Well that just sucks. I bought this particular one as I travel to europe quite a bit and thought it was awesome that the device could hold all the maps without external memory. Guess they under-estimated the growth of the maps.... Will a 2G card do it or am I going to need a 4G to put the euro maps on the sd card?

Thanks!
    Well, the new Euro map lists as just under 2 GB, so it may or may not fit. Future maps will almost certainly be larger yet, so it sounds like we all need to shell out $40 for a 4 GB card - I feel screwed by TT on this and on the useless traffic receiver (in the US at least).
  • Yea...It does suck. As for the SD cards, I saw that you should get a fast card, not a normal SD card as that can affect performance. Anybody notice any differance? I picked up the 920 without the reciever because I dont live in an area that offers that and saved a few bucks....
  • Yea...It does suck. As for the SD cards, I saw that you should get a fast card, not a normal SD card as that can affect performance. Anybody notice any differance? I picked up the 920 without the reciever because I dont live in an area that offers that and saved a few bucks....
    The old map build 1576 was 1.5gb, while the new one is 1.8gb.

The thing is that you wont need Euro cspeech files on a US machine until yoiu travel to Europe. Indeed, the orginal Euro map on US models DONT have cspeech file, only the US map does. TT allows you to download EU cspeech at will from a site I listed here in another post.

I suggest that if you DL the new Euro 715 map, just strip out the cspeech files and store them on the computer. That should make the map about 1.65gb and should fit with the NAmer 1576 map which is under 2gb. You should then have enuff space for both maps. You have to make some space before the DL though, as the DL will come with all cspeech files at first.
  • hudel 0 Points
    Yea...It does suck. As for the SD cards, I saw that you should get a fast card, not a normal SD card as that can affect performance. Anybody notice any differance? I picked up the 920 without the reciever because I dont live in an area that offers that and saved a few bucks....

The old map build 1576 was 1.5gb, while the new one is 1.8gb.

The thing is that you wont need Euro cspeech files on a US machine until yoiu travel to Europe. Indeed, the orginal Euro map on US models DONT have cspeech file, only the US map does. TT allows you to download EU cspeech at will from a site I listed here in another post.

I suggest that if you DL the new Euro 715 map, just strip out the cspeech files and store them on the computer. That should make the map about 1.65gb and should fit with the NAmer 1576 map which is under 2gb. You should then have enuff space for both maps. You have to make some space before the DL though, as the DL will come with all cspeech files at first.
    Infama, thanks, very helpful info - and I thought TT/TeleAtlas had been superbusy adding new info to the maps... Now it looks like the difference was mostly the cspeech files!
  • So exactly what does the euro cspeech do for me? Is it simply a file for the computer voices to be able to announce the street names? If so, I am in there as I dont use that feature as that voice is annoying and butchers the names pretty badly.

Thanks....as always you are a wealth of information!
  • Hudel,

it is just the quarterly update. Mostly central Europe changed as well as Portugal and other west EU countries move from 90% coverage to 100%. Guernsey also added.
  • So exactly what does the euro cspeech do for me? Is it simply a file for the computer voices to be able to announce the street names? If so, I am in there as I dont use that feature as that voice is annoying and butchers the names pretty badly.

Thanks....as always you are a wealth of information!
    No that is Loquendo.

cspeech is for VOICE recognition. Spoken address input.
  • Thanks for the help. I used an SD card from my camera and moved the europe maps to the card then updated them. I then pulled out the cspeech files and moved the maps back to my 920 and all is well.

Thanks again for the help!
  • Anyone know if TomTom plans on releasing an updated 920 that can fit all of these maps in internal memory?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I doubt it will be a 920 but I expect we will see something new from them in the next month or so.
  • Wow, in the next month? I thought t hey only release a new high end units every couple of years? How long was it between the release of the 910 and the 920/920T?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not saying I think there will be something that will replace the 920 or an update to it... only that I'd expect to see some new models from them in the next month or so. CeBIT is right around the corner. ;)

US Launches: (approx date)

2005/03/04 - 300/700
    2006/03/09 - 510/910
    2006/08-15 - ONE 2nd Edition
    2007/04/16 - ONE XL
    2007/06/05 - 720
    2007/08/23 - RIDER 2
    2007/08/30 - 920/T
    2007/08/30 - ONE 3rd Edition
    2007/10/16 - ONE XL-S
  • Where does the TomTom ONE LE fall into that launch line?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    October-ish... Kind of difficult to say since it really isn't its own model, it is just a ONE 2nd Edition with the new software.