This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

1 year latest map guarantee for TT920

2»

Comments

• Just called TT back and they relased 7.15 North America to me. I'm downloading it now. :)
  • All downloaded and up to date now.

But I guess it wiped out the 5 POI corrections I made. :(
  • That's a good news for all TT920 users.

Can some experts over here list down the exact steps to download the newer maps into TT920?

Appreciate your replies.

thanks
  • Tim 1480 Points
    But I guess it wiped out the 5 POI corrections I made. :(
    Correct. MapShare corrections only apply to the map version they were reported/corrected on.

• Correct. MapShare corrections only apply to the map version they were reported/corrected on.
    I figured. Home is reporting I have some 14k MapShare corrections, yet when I go to update it tells me I'm up to date. I wish it would make up it's mind. :roll:

I don't want to recreate my corrections if they are already there so I guess I'll wait until it gets updated.

• Correct. MapShare corrections only apply to the map version they were reported/corrected on.

I figured. Home is reporting I have some 14k MapShare corrections, yet when I go to update it tells me I'm up to date. I wish it would make up it's mind. :roll:

I don't want to recreate my corrections if they are already there so I guess I'll wait until it gets updated.
    It is better if you do...to ensure that many make the correction and increase the credibility.
  • Any suggestions why TTH is reporting my maps are up to date when I have checked and I have 7.10 and my device has only been registered for 2 weeks?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Any suggestions why TTH is reporting my maps are up to date when I have checked and I have 7.10 and my device has only been registered for 2 weeks?
    See the post from snowjay earlier in this thread.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not sure what you mean by "already there". Unless you report them they won't just appear unless someone else reports them.
  • PTJD 0 Points
    That's a good news for all TT920 users.

Can some experts over here list down the exact steps to download the newer maps into TT920?

Appreciate your replies.

thanks
    Call TT support, have them OK the update, the next time you look for update on TT home you will have N American and a European map update waiting for you.
    Back up your TT then erase the existing maps from your 920, Now don't do like I did and update the N american first if that is your primary map, upload the european map first then copy that from your TT to your computer then erase the new european from your TT and download the N american one.

• It is better if you do...to ensure that many make the correction and increase the credibility.
    Ahh right, gotcha. Back to work I guess.
  • Unless you report them they won't just appear unless someone else reports them.

thats what I meant, maybe they'd already be entered but I'll do them again anyway.
  • Thanks Tim,
    I just called them and the tech said that the maps are in a limited release right now to make sure there are no issues and will be released to the "masses" later this week....so we shall see....
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on what the situation will be for those of us who are about to buy a 920?. As both the current North America and Western and Central europe are the now the 715 version how are TT going to give us these maps if they won't both fit on the device they sell us. Will they perhaps bring out an updated 920 with 8gb of memory? :D Perhaps they'll add a free SD card. :P No, they'll likely say that since we can't be in North America and Europe at the same time we should just remove one and install the other. I can live with that as long as I actually DO get the latest maps. If there is anyone who gets a new unit in the next few days so that they actually purchased the 920 after the official release of the NA 715 map could you please let us know what the situation is? If anyone else has any insight or info ???
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on what the situation will be for those of us who are about to buy a 920?. As both the current North America and Western and Central europe are the now the 715 version how are TT going to give us these maps if they won't both fit on the device they sell us. Will they perhaps bring out an updated 920 with 8gb of memory? :D Perhaps they'll add a free SD card. :P No, they'll likely say that since we can't be in North America and Europe at the same time we should just remove one and install the other. I can live with that as long as I actually DO get the latest maps. If there is anyone who gets a new unit in the next few days so that they actually purchased the 920 after the official release of the NA 715 map could you please let us know what the situation is? If anyone else has any insight or info ???
    You will likely get the units installed ONLY with the 710 maps. You will then be able to upgrade. If you DL both 715 maps and strip out cspeech European files and the foreign voices, then it will all fit.

The better thing to do though is to get an SD card and keep one map there.
  • hudel 0 Points
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what the situation will be for those of us who are about to buy a 920?. As both the current North America and Western and Central europe are the now the 715 version how are TT going to give us these maps if they won't both fit on the device they sell us. Will they perhaps bring out an updated 920 with 8gb of memory? :D Perhaps they'll add a free SD card. :P No, they'll likely say that since we can't be in North America and Europe at the same time we should just remove one and install the other. I can live with that as long as I actually DO get the latest maps. If there is anyone who gets a new unit in the next few days so that they actually purchased the 920 after the official release of the NA 715 map could you please let us know what the situation is? If anyone else has any insight or info ???
    4 GB SD card would be nice. Oddly enough, when I updated both maps yesterday (I had updated the Euro map to 715 some days ago, but both [old NorAm and new Euro] would no longer fit on the internal 4 GB) they now again fit both on the internal memory (with less than 100 MB left).

I noted several differences between the Euro 715 map [map 1] I downloaded some days ago and the 715 one I got yesterday [map2]:

1) map 1 is larger than map 2 (entire folder and well a cline.dat, cname.dat etc).
    2) BOTH contain the cspeech files.
    3) Map 1 is called Western_and_Central_Europe.
    4) Map 2 is called Western_Europe.

Does anyone know the difference between these two 715 Europe maps?

Did they drop some of the Central European countries?

One nice thing I noticed with the US/Can map: Some roads here in SoCal now have speed limit encoded on the map!
  • HUDEL!!!!!!!!

Western Europe is greatly inferior to Western&Central Europe. i hope you did not delete the WCE map. It is far better. it has better derail in Western Europe and has Eastern Europe data. The difference is similar to the gap between North America and USA&Canada maps!
  • Over at tomtomforum.com
    http://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7673&page=1

More user experiences and information that might be helpful.
  • hudel 0 Points
    HUDEL!!!!!!!!

Western Europe is greatly inferior to Western&Central Europe. i hope you did not delete the WCE map. It is far better. it has better derail in Western Europe and has Eastern Europe data. The difference is similar to the gap between North America and USA&Canada maps!
    Infama, thanks for the info - I am glad I made a backup of my original and the updated WCE map. I am guessing TT did this so they could squeeze both onto the built-in 4 GB chip. Time to get an SD card so I don't have to shuffle.

Btw, what is the difference between North America and USA&Canada maps? The former should (but does not) have Mexico... I assume you are talking about a quality difference for USA data between those two maps?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The North America Map and the USA & Canada Map have the same coverage area. Neither includes Central America (Mexico). The difference is that the North America map has more POIs, and more detail around water areas (more detailed lakes and rivers).
  • hudel 0 Points
    The North America Map and the USA & Canada Map have the same coverage area. Neither includes Central America (Mexico). The difference is that the North America map has more POIs, and more detail around water areas (more detailed lakes and rivers).
    Tim, thanks for the explanation about the differences.

About Mexico: too bad they do not have any data, at least technically it belongs to North America [maybe that'll change once the fence has been finished], so the name of the map set is misleading.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    North America can have different meanings depending on what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing North versus Central and South then most people would agree that North doesn't include Mexico. If you are comparing North Versus South then most people would agree it does include Mexico.

The GPS maps are broken down into regions and countries, not continents. As far as I know none of the GPS companies include Mexico in their "North America" maps.
  • double check your download folder... the map may be there, if so, install it from your HDD
  • F2 0 Points
    I am sure with all this map update info that TT's US support phone number is somewhere but does anyone have it available as I continue to search?

Thanks
  • Tim 1480 Points
    866-486-6866
  • F2 0 Points
    Thanks. Phone call. Find receipt. Scan receipt. Email receipt. Phone Call. Downloading now for about 4 hours and counting...... Approx 51 minutes to go. Then, I guess, the same thing for the Euro maps!

(edited the next day to add)

Well, the US update took about 5 hours. It also appears that somewhere in the update process my European Maps were deleted but I had a backup.

But I don't seem to have access to the European maps for an update. I may have to call TT again (I did just update my email chain with them).

But how does one go about updating the Europe maps. I used TT Home to switch to my Europe map sets that is when I learned that they had been erased!!!!! But only Mapshare comes up as an update to my 920.

Any info would be appreciated from others who have gone before....