This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

LOW VOLUME FM TRANSMITTER

buerckster 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
so after review many users issues with the low volume of the FM transmitter. does anyone see tomtom fixing this. I have 2 cases opened with them and they think they are defective units. from what i here is that many unit are defective if that is the case.

my trouble is when i use the fm transmitter you have to increase the car radio to almost twice the normal volume to hear the 720 unit.

anyone get a fix let me know. for the 400.00 price tag it should have plenty of volume...

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    That is common with just about any FM transmitter I've used.
  • I've found this to be true even with an external FM transmitter used with my mp3 player.

Mark
  • rav 0 Points
    Don't worry about your FM Transmitter, that is how it is suppose to work (weak and not powerful). You can't get the low bass and high treble with this device or any other 3rd party devices for that matter even setting it to high volume.
    Just plug-in your TT to the AUX (if you have one).
  • nope dont have a AUX on my BOSE
  • hudel 0 Points
    That is common with just about any FM transmitter I've used.
    Not for me, the iTrip for my iPod does significantly better (although not perfect).

I have tried a TT720 and a TT920, both come in with a very weak volume, which in FM (frequency modulation) is not directly correlated with transmitter power or distance from transmitter. I am pretty sure it's a fixable bug, not sure whether it's simply software or hardware.
  • That is common with just about any FM transmitter I've used.

Not for me, the iTrip for my iPod does significantly better (although not perfect).

I have tried a TT720 and a TT920, both come in with a very weak volume, which in FM (frequency modulation) is not directly correlated with transmitter power or distance from transmitter. I am pretty sure it's a fixable bug, not sure whether it's simply software or hardware.
    FCC limitation on the transmitter power. That is why all GPS devices give crappy FM performance.
  • Its not like i want to BROADCAST my tomtom to the car next door with out the FCC getting their monies but dang sure would be nice to get the same volume so i dont scare myself when i change from GPS to RADIO.

this sucks thats one of the reasons along with BLUETOOTH i bought the tt720

but i still like the 720
  • hudel 0 Points
    Its not like i want to BROADCAST my tomtom to the car next door with out the FCC getting their monies but dang sure would be nice to get the same volume so i dont scare myself when i change from GPS to RADIO.

this sucks thats one of the reasons along with BLUETOOTH i bought the tt720

but i still like the 720
    I am not convinced that transmitter power is directly related to sound volume. This would mean that as you get closer to ANY FM station the volume of the sound should increase as something like 1/r^2. This is clearly not the case. What can happen with weak FM transmitters that a lot of noise or other stations can interfere with the signal.

In any case, the iPod/iTrip FM transmitter outputs with a significantly HIGHER sound volume (not necessarily transmitter power) and thus works markedly better for me.
  • Marc 301 Points
    At last all my EE communication courses become useful. FM has what is known as a threshold or waterfall effect. When you are above a certain received signal level it is pretty much noise free, with possibly an occasional click. Below that level things go to hell pretty fast, meaning the signal to noise ratio deteriorates fairly quickly. I suspect the signal is not strong enough to be above that point from the descriptions I've heard here. As for volume, all radio receivers have an AGC control, so that as the signal gets stronger the volume does not increase.
  • Newbie question.

How does the FM Transmitter work? Does it allow the 720 transmit the navigation and bluetooth to the car speakers? If so, how is it done? I do not have an AUX jack in my car.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It transmits the navigation, but not the bluetooth, over FM.
  • It transmits the navigation, but not the bluetooth, over FM.
    How do I get it to work for navigation?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Menu -> Change Preferences -> Speaker Preferences
  • buerckster 0 Points
    well after a few readings on here I found out that my low volume from my FM transmitter was due to I have a REAR stereo antenna which when i moved my TOMTOM to the rear of the car my audio from the FM tRANSMITTER increased. so either i find a way to get a better signal up front or get a car that has a front antenna. lol Im not replacing my car.. 8)
  • sbukosky 91 Points
    well after a few readings on here I found out that my low volume from my FM transmitter was due to I have a REAR stereo antenna which when i moved my TOMTOM to the rear of the car my audio from the FM tRANSMITTER increased. so either i find a way to get a better signal up front or get a car that has a front antenna. lol Im not replacing my car.. 8)
    I use my 930 in my Subaru with the window antenna in the rear quarter window and my toyota Sienna with a fender antenna a few feet from the 930. Each has frequently noisy reception.

I'd like to have AM transmitting and the ability to listen to talk radio and have the directions drown out the station when necessary.

Given what I know now, I'd would not make FM capability a needed feature on my next GPS. FWIW, the speaker in my wife's XL330 that I just bought her is better than the one in the GO 930.
  • Well I have found that if your antenna is on a front window mount that the reception can be poor. fo when i put my tomtom in th eback window where my antenna is its great. but doesnt do to well in the back while im driving :o