This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

This is how to find what chip is in your 7xx GPS

Comments

• "After all, they told me that nothing specific was done to help satellite lock issues."

Me too Gatorguy!!!

Just came back from a trip to and around Bordeaux and the 760 behaved perfectly. No mapping errors, no routing errors, MAX 10 secs to lock on from cold, instantaneous lock on from warm. No complaints from a very Happy Nuvi user.
    Regards,
  • I have the 760 and it is Sirf. Everything going fine for right now. Still learning.
  • Sorry gatorguy, you can't base the number of units by the number of views of this thread. Most people, including myself have viewed this thread at least 20x. Besides, most people don't even visit the internet forums or even know what SiRF is.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Homer, I'll better your estimate and say that every viewer looked at this 30 times (probably high, but just for giggles anyway) Assume only a a quarter of the 260 or so resultant viewers (very conservative) are Garmin 700 owners, and only 20 of those bothered checking. I think that's probably very low, but I'll give you the worst case. NONE of these people reported the Bravo chip. Odds that all twenty came from only a couple of production runs is quite unlikely, don't you think? Therefor, over MULTIPLE production dates, still NOT ONE SINGLE VERIFIED BRAVO CHIP IN A 700 series, even from those posters who visit multiple sites. I've posted the same challenge at gpslodge and gpsmag (your fav little Garmin shill). Still not one verified Bravo chip. How many more of those checked? Perhaps at least another 15 owners between the two? The totals now likely include every production run. How likely that one exists now? What besides "a guy at Garmin said", leads you to believe the Bravo 700 exists? Preponderance of evidence says they do not.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Spliced in from over here.
    It has been reported on several forums that Garmin REPS started this rumour. I have read several verbatim quotes posted by users online. Additionally, i think they also told Tim this in person
    Here is roughly the conversation I had with Garmin about the chipset in the Nuvi 700 series.

Tim - What chipset is being used in the Nuvi 700 series?
    Garmin - If I knew the answer we might not be able to answer it anyway, but I honestly don't know the answer. If I did know and wasn't able to say, I'd tell you I wasn't able to say, but I really don't know what chipset is used.

I can take all sides. Like gatorguy I haven't seen any direct evidence that Garmin has used anything other than SiRF.

Garmin officials have (reportedly) told some users it is a Bravo and have (reportedly) told some users it was "based on SiRF technology", whatever that means. But just because a CS rep says it is true... doesn't mean it is true.

But the questions I now keep asking myself are why are they not promoting on their site or in their blog that they are now using SiRF InstantFixII? Second, why was no mention even made of it in the release notes? This was a nice bonus to current owners that goes above and beyond what they originally paid for. Perhaps they think it is too technical for most people, but why not just say "will get a signal faster if the GPS has been turned on in the past 72 hours"?

As much as I dislike saying it, the only logical explanation I can come up with is that they think or know that it won't apply to all 700 series devices (now, or perhaps in the future). That could even explain why it wasn't in the release notes since they might not want to list something that didn't apply to every device that the update was for. I have absolutely nothing to back-up that theory, but I just can't understand why they are not touting the enhancement.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Could also be that they don't want the 800's to become the "bastard child" now that they've added BOTH msn2 and quickfix to the 700's. If it was common knowledge, posted in the on-line spec's, the 800's don't look much bedtter than the 700's. They aren't talking about adding MSN2 either.
  • I have a Nuvi 260 that I bought 3 weeks ago and it says
    It is "Software version 2.90 and GPS SW 3.00s
    My wife has a new 760 and hers says it has the sirf chip with the quick fix. Her's powers up faster than mine and hers gets a sattelite signal in less than 30 seconds and my 260 can take 2 minutes. When we bought these I elected not to get the 760 because I did not need the bluetooth. The saleman told me they both performed the same. The 760 is faster and I am tempted to trade mine in for a 760. The 760 is great. The 260 is OK
  • peebs24 0 Points
    Tim said: As much as I dislike saying it, the only logical explanation I can come up with is that they think or know that it won't apply to all 700 series devices (now, or perhaps in the future). That could even explain why it wasn't in the release notes since they might not want to list something that didn't apply to every device that the update was for. I have absolutely nothing to back-up that theory, but I just can't understand why they are not touting the enhancement. end quote.

Tim in the absence of positive info I tend to agree with you but if Garmin are trying to support 2 different versions of the same product they are digging a big hole for themselves for the future. It is strange though that with all the posts regarding the slow acquisition time, nobody has posted anything that refers to a different chipset.
    Regards,
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Right. But we do know that the 200 series for example has shipped with two, perhaps three different chipsets. So it wouldn't be "new" for Garmin to do that.
  • l89kip 0 Points
    I am a newbie in this.

Just received my 760 (my first GPS) and it looks beautiful. Noticed that it showed Sirf when powered up initially.

I used the AC power charger (with mini usb connector) and there was no battery icon. The battery icon showed when I unplugged the AC power charger. Is that normal?

I then pressed the battery icon long and nothing happened. Could somebody help?

Thanks.
  • peebs24 0 Points
    Right. But we do know that the 200 series for example has shipped with two, perhaps three different chipsets. So it wouldn't be "new" for Garmin to do that.
    "What a web we do weave, when we set out to deceive."
  • Right. But we do know that the 200 series for example has shipped with two, perhaps three different chipsets. So it wouldn't be "new" for Garmin to do that.

I think we ought to be careful here. I don't think the use of a generic label for the GPS receiver chipsets was meant to deceive. It was a business decision, probably meant to get more latitude in sourcing this particular component. I personally don't think that it was the right decision, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturers intentionally set out to deceive. They have what they want i.e., flexibility and perhaps some cost efficiency; but at the cost of seeding discontent and confusion, even from within their own ranks (read customer support reps and the like.)

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • peebs24 0 Points

I think we ought to be
    careful here. I don't think the use of a generic label for the GPS receiver chipsets was meant to deceive. It was a business decision, probably meant to get more latitude in sourcing this particular component. I personally don't think that it was the right decision, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturers intentionally set out to deceive. They have what they want i.e., flexibility and perhaps some cost efficiency; but at the cost of seeding discontent and confusion, even from within their own ranks (read customer support reps and the like.)

Cheers!

The deception is in the fact that they won't, or can't admit what chipset or chipsets, they use. Come out and say "Some have got A, Some have got B etc" and we could have confidence in any upgrades. Just look at the problems "some" 7xx users are having with WebUpdate at this moment. Will anyone feel comfortable with future u/g knowing that it might have a terminal effect on their particular unit with its particular but unknown chipset?
    regards
  • peebs24: Yes, but the quote you gave said 'set out to deceive.' and I don't think that's the case.

To me, this is buyer beware and if one is happy with buying a GPS with a 'high sensitivity GPS receiver', trusting the manufacturer's know how, then so be it. You'll have no disagreement with me that transparency would be a lot better than using the generic label - I think my earlier posts in this thread spoke to this issue strongfully enough, thank you very much.

So to sum up - I say yes to lack of transparency; no that they intentionally set out to deceive: it was a business decision.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • peebs24 0 Points
    peebs24: Yes, but the quote you gave said 'set out to deceive.' and I don't think that's the case.

To me, this is buyer beware and if one is happy with buying a GPS with a 'high sensitivity GPS receiver', trusting the manufacturer's know how, then so be it. You'll have no disagreement with me that transparency would be a lot better than using the generic label - I think my earlier posts in this thread spoke to this issue strongfully enough, thank you very much.

So to sum up - I say yes to lack of transparency; no that they intentionally set out to deceive: it was a business decision.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
    Sorry, I misquoted Shakespeare. Will "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive".

Does that better fit the description of Garmin's behaviour?

I think that when there are problems - as there have been recently with the 7XX - the manufacturer owes it to his customer to come clean. I bought my 760 - with which I am now very happy - BUT, because of the secrecy surrounding the make-up of the product, I will look at u/gs in the near future with not a small amount of scepticism.
    Personally, I don't think that "let the buyer beware" is a good basis for a successful company in the long run. Many people on this forum, me included, have bought Garmin because they had had good past experiences with the Company. Many people who have now seen the fix of the "non existent" lock-on problem or whose GPS has been trashed by WebUpdate may well have second thoughts on their next purchase. How many people have been put off TT by bad Customer Service?
    Any customer base for a consumer product is likely to be fickle. Denying the existence of a problem or the make-up of a model will do nothing to help hold that base.
    Don't get me wrong. I, like many others on this forum really like the Garmin 7xx series. But I would be wrong to say that their attitude towards openess when it comes to problems hasn't dented my enthusiasm for the Company.
    Regards,
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Peebs, the only comment I would make is that obviously Garmin has not run from any problems tha tcropped up after release of the 700's. I think that they have responded admirably, much better than either you or I expected, correct?

With regard to chip/memory/ design issues, hasn't Garmin always played "close to the chest" on internal architecture? I've only been involved for about 2-3 years, so perhaps it's changed. I don't have any big issue with what's inside, as most of the time I wouldn't have any way to argue Garmin's choice of chipset, whether it was the right choice or not. I WOULD like them to at least "sticker" the box so that we could determine in advance the chipset used for the device in the box. That would serve a purpose once the device has been out awhile and has a track record.

But I haven't personally experienced any "hiding" or "denial" from Garmin on any issues I've called them about.
  • peebs24 0 Points
    Peebs, the only comment I would make is that obviously Garmin has not run from any problems tha tcropped up after release of the 700's. I think that they have responded admirably, much better than either you or I expected, correct? CORRECT

With regard to chip/memory/ design issues, hasn't Garmin always played "close to the chest" on internal architecture? I've only been involved for about 2-3 years, so perhaps it's changed. I don't have any big issue with what's inside, as most of the time I wouldn't have any way to argue Garmin's choice of chipset, whether it was the right choice or not. I WOULD like them to at least "sticker" the box so that we could determine in advance the chipset used for the device in the box. That would serve a purpose once the device has been out awhile and has a track record. AGREED

But I haven't personally experienced any "hiding" or "denial" from Garmin on any issues I've called them about.
    Can't agree on the last point. Garmin CS personally told me that they knew NOTHING about the lock-on problem just 24 hours before they released 2.6!! 2.6 itself was mute on the fix to the lock-on problem!! This was a STUPID move on their part. They could have made hay on the fact that they had responded to and quickly fixed a HUGE problem for their customers. Whoever does their marketing should be fired!!
    Regards,
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Peebs, I hadn't personally experienced a denial of issue, but obviously they have done so since you had it happen. I don't agree with that. You're correct that Garmin could have made a huge PR move by trumpeting the improvements and the way they responded to unforseen issues. They're pretty darn shortsighted a lot of the time where marketing is concerned.
    By not speaking directly to the changes, they allow misinformation (ie, slow satellite response, not really a sirf chip, etc) to continue to show up in posts and reviews.
  • peebs24 0 Points
    Hi Gator,
    What the hell! We all bought the device and on the whole I think we are all pleased with the way it works. Their CS is good - judging by the plaudits they are getting on the forum and by the way they have handled problems after the fact. If only they would come clean up front they would earn soooo much respect and earn themselves a BIG brownie point!
    Hopefully someone from Garmin will read this thread and realise that when you have a good product you have nothing to fear from trusting your customer base.
    Best regards,
  • peebs24 0 Points
    We have discussed ad nausium in this thread whether or not Garmin has used different chips in the 7xx series. On the basis of the evidence presented I was tending to believe that they had not. That was until I say some posts about units getting fried by using WebUpdater. In these cases it appears that Garmin CS has agreed that the units could be returned and replaced and have advised individual callers NOT to use WebUpdater for 1 to 2 months! As far as I know they have not pulled WebUpdater nor have they put a warning on their website about using WebUpdater.
    Why would a manufacturer be so laid back about a problem that could cause the return of his entire production? After all, it is the most natural thing to look for any upgrades. Well, one explanation is that Garmin knows that the WebUpdater problem can only affect a small number of units because they have changed the design/manufacture/componants during the production cycle.

If this were the case it might answer why:-

They have never admitted - in fact openly denied the lock on time problem.

Did not make hay when they fixed the problem with 2.6.

Have not got all het up with the unit killing WebUpdater scenario.

If they have not changed production and ALL units are susceptible to being fried with WebUpdater then they are taking a HUGE commercial risk in leaving WebUpdater in place.

Food for thought?
  • aoz 0 Points
    Information on the SIRF GSC3F GPS MODULE chip right from the Holux website.

Key Specifications/Special Features:

Position accuracy:
    Autonomous: < 10m at 2D RMS
    SBAS: < 7m at 2DRMS, WAAS corrected
    DGPS: 1 to 5m at DGPS corrected
    Hi.
    I have the same chip on my 760. What I don't understand is how it gets the DGPS info. Thanks.
  • junioor 81 Points
    I just got a 760 and checked the ship it is SIRF GSC3F GPS MODULE.I steel do not understand is that good or bad? :?:
  • I just got a 760 and checked the ship it is SIRF GSC3F GPS MODULE.I steel do not understand is that good or bad? :?:
    That, junioor, according to most, supposedly mean that your 760, as most allegedly are, is equipped with the Sirf Star III chipset. When I contacted SiRF to ask them the question directly, they said that it was likely a Sirf chipset. Here's a direct quote:

"...there is really no way to tell short of taking the unit apart -- and even them the GPS chip is usually shielded with metal to reduce EMI. Bbut given what you see on the diagnostics screen, it is likely based on SiRF...."

So I wouldn't worry about it too much!
  • junioor 81 Points
    I steel don't know if that is the good chip or the bad one but as you said I will not worry.
    Thank you
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Junior, the short answer is YES, it's a good chip.
  • junioor 81 Points
    Thank you. I believe my nuvi 760 came with this Ver. 2.70, Do I need to make any upgrade and also I was trying to find one supermarket and it gave all supermarket near but may select one kind of supermarket only so I can know how many of that brand only ( Publics Supermarkets ) and were they are?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I've added Publix as a separate category (love that store). It's available from poi-factory.com and loads with Garmin's free poi loader.
  • junioor 81 Points
    Thank you. Do i need to update the my new nuvi ?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Unless your bluetooth phone (if you're using one) is giving you some problems when syncing with the nuvi, you're good to go. There may be a bluetooth revision, but don't update just to update.
  • junioor 81 Points
    Your are right I just check it and it is a 2008 map.Thank
  • igorb81 0 Points
    I purchased my Nuvi 750 from Best Buy and mine is a black version and it says SIRF GSC3F GPS MODULE. When I power my GPS on it says something about SIRF. I am very happy with this unique black over the silver or gray ones. Acquisition times are rapid as well. :lol:
  • JackSJackS 0 Points
    This from a reviewer:

"There has been considerable confusion around which GPS receiver the nuvi 700-series is actually using, mostly due to Garmin's own messaging on the subject, and conflicting answers from Garmin support. Garmin recently began removing all references to SiRF from its website's product pages, and SiRF's logo is nowhere to be found on the nuvi 750's box. Yet both my nuvi 750 and 760 shipped using SiRF's StarIII receiver (you can find out if your model uses SiRF by tapping Tools -> Settings -> System -> About).

Officially, Garmin says that it uses parts from a number of vendors, including the GPS receiver. Unofficially, it looks like Garmin is currently using SiRF's receiver on the nuvi 750, but that could change if the company decides to start using its own receiver or another vendor's. Garmin's rep went on to say that the company sources parts from various vendors, such as the LCD display, and that all components must meet or exceed Garmin's high performance standards. Any change in GPS receivers, I'm told, would have to deliver similar or better performance than the current SiRF receiver."

Scroll down to #29 to read it at:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/02/garmin_nuvi_750_review.php?page=10

I read on Amazon that it was a cost issue. I suppose they may have had an argument over the contract as there's some animosity brewing, LOL.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    No evidence that any 7x0 has ever shipped with anything but a sirf chip (yet). Not to say that one never will. There are certainly some chips out there offering better performance than sirf in some other devices.
  • JackSJackS 0 Points
    I see that Garmin has released their version 3.0 software update for the 750 as of 5/28/08

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00657-20
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Jack, I noticed you're new to the board. Welcome! Just a quick note: try to post things under the correct forum subject. This discussion is already going on under it's proper heading. It's not a big deal, (we all do it when we get on a roll) but just helps keep the forums more "tidy" when we're trying to find info that interests us. :D
  • JackSJackS 0 Points
    Thanks Gator!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Thanks for taking care of the link, Tim. I need to read up on how to do that. You'd think I'd know by now.
  • JackSJackS 0 Points
    I just got my 750 today and when I power it up it flashes two quick small messages on the bottom. One is a Garmin copywrite message and then it switches to "powered by Sirf InstantFixII". It's on for such a short time I had to power it up 5-6 times just to read it all.

OT. I'm sitting at my computer in my house with it on and I have four bars. Sweet!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    There might(emphasized) be the first confirmed MTK chip in a 7x0. posted by a Brit user who just bought a new 760 to go with the one he already has. I say might, because it shows no chip info whatsoever in the SW Diagnostics, but the software version is 2.6M, which likely indicates MTK. I'm watching for a second post by any other owner, but the device posted now has more issues than just a possible chip change. The owner also complains about the screen brightness. Guess we'll have to see if it's just a rogue unit or not. I wouldn't think the MTK chip would be any sort of downgrade as reports of it's quality in other devices are pretty well documented. Of course that's never any solid assurance in a different PND.
    More to come I'm sure.
  • kwhunter 0 Points
    My 250W has a MediaTek MT3318 chip:

Detailed Product Description

1.Frequency:L1, 1575.42 MHz
    2.C/A Code:1.023 MHz
    3.Channels:14 / 32
    4.DGPS:RTCM protocolWAAS, EGNOS, MSAS
    5.Dimension(LxWxH):9 x 6 x 1.3 mm
    6.Reacquisition Time:<1s
    7.Hot start:1s
    8.Warm start:33s
    9.Cold start:36s
    10.Sensitivity:Acquisition: -146dBm(Cold start)
    Reacquistion: -156dBm
    Tracking: -159dBm
    11.Update Rate:Up to 5 Hz
    12.Power Consumption:Acquisition: 37mA
    Tracking: 22mA
    13.Operating Temperature:-30 ~ 85
    14.Storage Temperature:-40 ~ 125
    15.Operating Humidity:5% ~ 95%(no condensing)

Mediatek
    Is it good, is it bad?! Never heard of them; however the unit locks solid on the sattelites and works ok so far.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    @kwhunter

I have the MediaTek chipset in my eTrex Vista HCx and also in my nuvi 200. It is an excellent chipset and I have never had any problems obtaining or keeping a good solid lock, even while in my house.

I do hear that the "Bravo" chipset is the one with some issues...that's just going by what I've heard & read.
  • MtnHermit 0 Points
    Nuvi 205W

I had no problem getting to the inventory screen, just no chipset info. Any suggestions? I suspect all the 2x5's are the same, has anyone discovered how to find the chipset?

I'm surprised the the screenshot feature works in the diagnostic mode.
  • Boulanger 0 Points
    Both of the 760's I received this week are fitted with v.2.6 of the MediaTek MT3318.

Rob
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Boulanger - did you get it from a UK vendor or a US vendor. I have seen posts on other boards from people in the UK that have received 760's with a non SIRF chip. I speculated in another thread that Garmin recently went through a production change over. I have yet to see a US purchased 760 reported with a non SIRF chip, though.

Bryan
  • Boulanger 0 Points
    Hi Bryan. I'm in London, England and the units were supplied directly by Amazon.co.uk

To be honest, as long as they quickly acquire a signal, keep a tenacious hold of it, and cope well with the many tall buildings around my locality then I don't really care what's inside. These units have been heavily discounted lately and if that's partially due to Garmin not having to pay to use another company's logo on the box that's fine by me as at the old price I would have had to buy something inferior instead. Looking at the skyview screen I've frequently got an excellent signal and positional accuracy has been thirteen feet at best (which is most of the time) and the worst I've seen so far is twenty-five feet.

Clearly it's of interest to others though which is why I've added to the discussion.

If anyone wants a peek under the hood of a European/UK spec 760, tell me what you need to know and I'll have another peek at the diagnostic screens and report back.

Rob
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I had no problem getting to the inventory screen, just no chipset info. Any suggestions? I suspect all the 2x5's are the same, has anyone discovered how to find the chipset?
    The chipset info is at the bottom of the very last "inventory" page. Use the down arrow (seen in the screen shot you posted) to scroll down to the last page.
  • both my Garmins has the SiRF GSC3F GPS Module
  • You're right, one probably shouldn't worry about. However, just for the sake of argument. The lithium batteries have X amount of life cycles. If someone uses their GPS regularly in their car plugged into their cig light adapter, I am led to believe that that everytime you plug it in, that's one cycle. Over a period of time, this would give you less battery life compared to only charging it when the battery is low.

infama, that's correct, Lithium batteries have no memory effect but they still can die early if you use up their [charge] cycles.
    continuing on this matter with lithium ion batteries. Lithium Ion Batteries are subject to killing themselves dramatically if they maintain the state of not being charged for any period of time. What I mean is...their capacity of charge diminishes really fast when they are left sitting even half a day without any charge.
    So, remember always try to keep your unit at least somewhat charged.
  • Just bought a 750, 9-1-08, from Sams Club.

Mine says SiRF GSC3F GPS MODULE.

Unit works well with SanDisk 8GB microSDHD with a SD adapter. Room for lots of pix and mp3's. The voice editor found somewhere on this site, I suffer from CRS !!, works great in changing the mundane "recalculating" to something like "You missed the damn turn, now I'll have to find another route" !!! Remember to FIRST remane the original file with a -orig, or some other identifier to insure that you don't corrupt the original file if you make a mistake. AND, VERY IMPORTANT - Remember to follow the procedure to safely remove hardware, USB mass storage device, BEFORE disconnecting the USB cable. All in all, a great unit for the money..
  • There might(emphasized) be the first confirmed MTK chip in a 7x0. posted by a Brit user who just bought a new 760 to go with the one he already has. I say might, because it shows no chip info whatsoever in the SW Diagnostics, but the software version is 2.6M, which likely indicates MTK. I'm watching for a second post by any other owner, but the device posted now has more issues than just a possible chip change. The owner also complains about the screen brightness. Guess we'll have to see if it's just a rogue unit or not. I wouldn't think the MTK chip would be any sort of downgrade as reports of it's quality in other devices are pretty well documented. Of course that's never any solid assurance in a different PND.
    More to come I'm sure.
    I bought a 750 at Sam's Club in Clearwater, FL yesterday and it has no chip info in the SW Diagnostics. In Tools<Settings<System<About it indicates "GPS SW Version 2.60m. I returned a 260W to Costco and it's screen was much brighter and the audio much louder. It looks like I'll be returning this 750 since it's difficult to see during the day in the Sunshine State!

The 750 was also slower in telling you to turn. I fully completed a right and then a left turn when nearing my home before the unit said to turn. The 260W was faster! I'd go back it, but I want "route planning"