This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Route conversion

I traded my 250W for a 750 that has route saving capabilities.
I am currently using Microsoft S&T 2007 to do my routing and like it more than Mapsource; therefore I'm looking for a program to convert S&T routes to a format usable with Mapsource and I downloaded gpsbabel that is said to handle that.
No luck so far; can someone help?
Thanks.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I'd think GPSBabel should be able to do it, but I don't have S&T to try. The Input type would be Microsoft Streets and Trips and the output format would be Garmin MapSource.
  • kwhunter 0 Points
    After more trial and error playing with the settings I found the format that works: gdb and mps.
  • my750 0 Points
    This is exactly what I would like to be able and do... plan my trip/routes in MS S&T, and then upload the route to my 750 and hit Go. It sounds like it is possible. What is the GPSBabel thing. Software that converts from one map format to another I presume? Is it freeware, shareware or commercial. Please tell me more about how this works. Thx,

my750
  • kwhunter 0 Points
    It's freeware, unless you want to make a donation to support the effort.
    It has a graphical interface (GUI) that you launch and the output should be
    either .gdb or .mds
    Good luck.
    This is exactly what I would like to be able and do... plan
    my trip/routes in MS S&T, and then upload the route to my 750 and hit Go. It sounds like it is possible. What is the GPSBabel thing. Software that converts from one map format to another I presume? Is it freeware, shareware or commercial. Please tell me more about how this works. Thx,

my750
  • my750 0 Points
    Where/how do you export the map data from MS Street & Trips to create the file to convert and import into the 750? If that's how it's done. :?

Edit: Found GPSbabel and DL'ed and installed.
  • kwhunter 0 Points
    Start the program, read your S&T file, convert and save somewhere you can find it, then launch mapsource and open the saved file; it will show up on your map.
    Where/how do you export the map data from MS Street & Trips to create the file to convert and import into the 750? If that's how it's done. :?

Edit: Found GPSbabel and DL'ed and installed.
  • my750 0 Points
    I'm just getting started with the GPS stuff, so bear with me if I seem to ask newbie questions. What is Map Source? I can't find it anywhere on Garmin's site. Lots of different maps but no Map Source. Does this program come on the CD when you purchase a map? If so, what map do I need to purchase to use Microsoft S&T, so that I can convert -and load - on my 750? I'm at a real loss here. Nothing came with my 750 that even mentions Map Source, much less how to DL maps to the device. Help...

my750
  • kwhunter 0 Points
    Mapsource is Garmin's mapping software; not sure if you can buy it per se, but is packaged with any version of the city navigators; if you download the NA 2009 update and execute it, it will install mapsource for you.
    The easyest way to get started is to google both mapsource and Street & Trips and get all info you need. It is a long story to tape in the forum here.
    I'm just getting started with the GPS stuff, so bear with me if I seem to ask newbie questions. What is Map Source? I can't find it anywhere on Garmin's site. Lots of different maps but no Map Source. Does this program come on the CD when you purchase a map? If so, what map do I need to purchase to use Microsoft S&T, so that I can convert -and load - on my 750? I'm at a real loss here. Nothing came with my 750 that even mentions Map Source, much less how to DL maps to the device. Help...

my750
  • my750 0 Points
    Ok, I found Map Source 6.13.7, but will have to wait and DL tomorrow from work. Don't have a great wireless connection from my apt. However, it does say I must have a Map Source product - does that include my 750?

# WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

my750
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited July 2008
    @my750

Normally, you'd need a previous MapSource installation on your PC in order to use the update package listed below, nuvi 750 or no nuvi 750 (the nuvi units do NOT include MapSource in the package). However, here is a workaround to use MapSource even if you don't have a previous MapSource installation on your PC.

Garmin officially provides a MapSource version update download, which will only work if there is previous version of MapSource installed. If no MapSource software is detected, the MapSource update setup will abort with error message saying that it cannot find previous version of MapSource. Use the following trick to use the setup file so that it can be used to install MapSource clean and fresh without any prior installation of MapSource.

1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin. The version as of February 27, 2008 is 6.13.7, and the trick also works on Map Source version 6.13.6.

1A Link to MapSource v6.13.7: http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

2. Unpack or extract the content of MapSource_6137.exe downloaded using WinRAR. If you don't have WinRAR installed, simply rename the file to end with a .zip extension. WinXP has a built-in zip file extraction utility so all you need to do is to extract the files in the .zip archive to a folder.

3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi.

4. Then, run Setup.exe.

Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.

5. Garmin MapSource now installed.
  • my750 0 Points
    Mapsource is Garmin's mapping software; not sure if you can buy it per se, but is packaged with any version of the city navigators; if you download the NA 2009 update and execute it, it will install mapsource for you.
    The easyest way to get started is to google both mapsource and Street & Trips and get all info you need. It is a long story to tape in the forum here.
    Thanks for your help. I'll get this stuff figured out.

my750
  • my750 0 Points
    @my750

Normally, you'd need a previous MapSource installation on your PC in order to use the update package listed below, nuvi 750 or no nuvi 750 (the nuvi units do NOT include MapSource in the package). However, here is a workaround to use MapSource even if you don't have a previous MapSource installation on your PC.

Garmin officially provides a MapSource version update download, which will only work if there is previous version of MapSource installed. If no MapSource software is detected, the MapSource update setup will abort with error message saying that it cannot find previous version of MapSource. Use the following trick to use the setup file so that it can be used to install MapSource clean and fresh without any prior installation of MapSource.

1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin. The version as of February 27, 2008 is 6.13.7, and the trick also works on Map Source version 6.13.6.

1A Link to MapSource v6.13.7: http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe
    2. Unpack or extract the content of MapSource_6137.exe
    downloaded using WinRAR.
    3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi.
    4. Then, run Setup.exe.

Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.
    5. Garmin MapSource now installed.
    Thanks SergZak. I'll give it a try when I get a chance to DL MapSource from their site.

my750
  • schmidwr 0 Points
    I followed this sequence of steps, including Mapsource download, WinRAR download, extraction, run Main then run Setup. Still get the error of not having previously installed Mapsource map products. Dumb question, but what is the actual Mapsource product? I do have the Map Update 2008 City Navigator NA NT DVD and have used this to successfully update a Nuvi 360. So it works to update the GPS, but how do I get the actual map software onto the PC?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I do have the Map Update 2008 City Navigator NA NT DVD and have used this to successfully update a Nuvi 360. So it works to update the GPS, but how do I get the actual map software onto the PC?
    Try to uninstall the 2008 maps from add/remove programs. Not to worry, this will not remove them from your GPS, only your PC. Now try re-installing the 2008 maps. This should now make them accessible within MapSource when it is run.

MapSource is Garmin's mapping front-end application that lets your transfer maps, create & transfer waypoints (favorites) routes and tracks between the GPS and the PC.

Download the Mapsource user's guide from:
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSource_MapSourceUsersGuide.pdf

Also see the following thread:
    http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/discussion/7470/x/p1/
  • schmidwr 0 Points
    I only have Garmin MapSource (49.7 MB) and Webupdater (5 MB) on the PC - so there are no maps to remove. My GPS is not connected - and the DVD autorunning software wants it to be. I can open the DVD and find the map files - which I think are the 3 IMG files totalling over 2 GB.

Am I being dense here?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Am I being dense here?
    No, not dense. Garmin just likes to make things difficult. :P

You need to reinstall the maps and have them on the hard drive in order to use them within MapSource. Just cancel out of the autorun from the DVD and use Windows Explorer to search the contents of the DVD for the file CNNANT2008Update_ENU.msi. Run this file and the the installer will proceed to install the maps with no internet/GPS unit connection check.

After the install, you should now be able to access the maps within MapSource. If it states they are locked, follow the unlock steps I provided in the following thread:
    http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/discussion/7470/x/p1/
  • schmidwr 0 Points
    Well, jeez, how obvious is that???!!!!

Your guidance worked perfectly. Thank you so very much. I needed to unlock the maps, but that was easily done through Garmin's site and auto feature. It does seem that the maps require unlocking each time I opened Mapsource.

Thanks again for your help in navigating the (obvious sarcasm warning) simple, clear, and highly intuitive Garmin software logic!
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I needed to unlock the maps, but that was easily done through Garmin's site and auto feature. It does seem that the maps require unlocking each time I opened Mapsource.
    You only need to unlock the maps once using the UnlockWizard. You should -not- need to do this any more than once. This is -not- done online but via the UnlockWizard utility, either on it's own (Start/Programs/Garmin/UnlockWizard) or from within MapSource (Utilities/Unlock maps). Either way will get you to the UnlockWizard. The only thing you need from online is your 25-character unlock code which you enter into the UnlockWizard when prompted. Please re-read the unlock process I linked to above in the other thread.
  • schmidwr 0 Points
    Worked like a charm. Thanks once again for the patience and guidance.