This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

nuvi 700:does anyone know how to turn off annoying sound?

In my old nuvi 600 there is an option to turn off the sound of scrolling,clicking on button, or confirmation sound. Basically it is the sound whenever you press your finger on an icon and you hear a sound. I can't find it on the nuvi 700. there is only a master sound which turns off all sound and a navigation sound(which is the only sound i really want). beside being annoying, it wastes the precious battery of nuvi 700( it seems the battery life is getting less and less with each new generation).

Comments

• s2800021 81 Points
    I raised this question before and unfortunately, the answer is not possible to turn off the clicking tone for the 760 and I think it applies to the rest of the 7xx families as well. :(
  • MtnHermit 0 Points
    A rookie suggestion.

On my 205W, I can hold down the battery icon and play with each sound file. I assume your 7xx is the same. Then simply find the name of the sound file and replace it with something less offensive.
  • mrgamers 0 Points
    a bit disappointed with nuvi 700. it seems to take several steps back from nuvi 600 series. first the annoying sound feature that can't be turned off, 2nd less battery life, and third a weaker satellite reception---this defeats the whole purpose of redesign. Yes, i did update my nuvi to the latest firmware. it is still much weaker than the nuvi 600.

That just my opinion.

As for the sound, does anyone has any opinion on how to turn it off?
  • a bit disappointed with nuvi 700. it seems to take several steps back from nuvi 600 series <snip> a weaker satellite reception <snip>
    Given all the discussion of either great or poor satellite reception on the 7xx, I've become conviced that there is a quality control issue at Garmin. or perhaps a problem with multiple qualified parts that aren't as interchangable as they think they are. On my 760 I'm able to consistently get satellite reception within ~15 second on the first floor of a two-story, wood-frame house. I've owned five different GPS receivers, including handheld Garmins and an expensive Raymarine on a yacht. I've never seen a quicker lock than on my 760. (BTW, the Raymarine was the slowest.) Yet other folks are clearly seeing a real issue. I wish we could get an example of a good and a bad unit, take them apart, and see what the differences are.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    MrGamers, when you say weaker satellite reception, are you referring to the satellite bar strength levels, the number of satellites, or the time to fix?
  • mrgamers 0 Points
    Both. The bar and the time to lock. sometimes it takes like 3 mins - 5 minutes to lock onto one. Other time it rather fast(like 30 seconds). HOWEVER, I CONSTANTLY getting "LOST SIGNAL" message while i am in my car driving around. This is in Santa Ana( a very OPEN AREA).

To add to my disappoint with nuvi 700 is that when you finished charging it, it DOESN"T tell you that it done. It leaves you guessing when it is done charging. 5th, you need to have a dumb mount thing in the back in order to charge the freaking unit. In the 600 series, you don't need anything extra, just the gps unit and the car charger.

So in all, NUVI 700 series has taken 5 steps backward from 600 series and like 2 steps forward( multiple routing, and where am I). Total 3 negatives. Those three negatives strongly outweighs the "slim" redesign that didn't do anything but causes frustration and defeats the whole purpose of a redesign.

For those who have 600 series----KEEP IT. 700 series is NOT NOT NOT worth it or the extra cost. If Garmin won't release an update to fix the "SOFTWARE"able problems, then i really would reconsider buying a Nuvi in the future. The newer series should not take any steps backward(okay maybe one or two but 5-6 steps backward!!--unacceptable).

Let see if 800 series fix the above problem. Additionally, some people said the speaker on the 700 series is crap. For me, it was okay.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited July 2008
    sometimes it takes like 3 mins - 5 minutes to lock onto one. Other time it rather fast(like 30 seconds). HOWEVER, I CONSTANTLY getting "LOST SIGNAL" message while i am in my car driving around. This is in Santa Ana( a very OPEN AREA).
    I personally don't have this issue with any of my newer units (200, 750 & 760)
    To add to my disappoint with nuvi 700 is that when you finished charging it, it DOESN"T tell you that it done. It leaves you guessing when it is done charging.
    Agreed. This is either a bug or a "feature" depending on who you ask. The nuvi 3xx/6xx series do not have this problem. All nuvis released afterwards do. It even carries over to the brand new 8xx series. Imagine paying $800-$1000 for a brand new top-of-the-line nuvi 850 or 860 and the silly thing can't even tell you when the battery is fully charged and can now be removed from the charging source.
    5th, you need to have a dumb mount thing in the back in order to charge the freaking unit. In the 600 series, you don't need anything extra, just the gps unit and the car charger.
    The nuvi 7xx needs more I/O data lines for the Garmin VIB 11 Vehicle Integration Box (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=9653), thus the need for the 25-pin interface connector on the unit & mounting cradle. If the 7xx came with an external AC charger (which it doesn't), this wouldn't be that much of an issue. Even the top-of-the-line nuvi 8xx series does not include the AC charger...it needs to be purchased separately.
    So in all, NUVI 700 series has taken 5 steps backward from 600 series and like 2 steps forward( multiple routing, and where am I). Total 3 negatives. Those three negatives strongly outweighs the "slim" redesign that didn't do anything but causes frustration and defeats the whole purpose of a redesign.
    I can find many more "backwards" issues than your 5, most of those being contained in the available & configurable options like the removal of the North pointer from the map screen, the removal of the backlight timeout settiing, the option to disable voice prompts and just have an attention tone to alert you for the next routing event, the removal of the attention tone itself which alerted you of an upcoming voice prompt, the ability to turn off autozoom which early firmware nuvi 3xx/6xx's gave you the ability to do...however a firmware "update" removed that ability from those units also so this -did- affect the 3xx/6xx series in a way.
    For those who have 600 series----KEEP IT. 700 series is NOT NOT NOT worth it or the extra cost. If Garmin won't release an update to fix the "SOFTWARE"able problems, then i really would reconsider buying a Nuvi in the future. The newer series should not take any steps backward(okay maybe one or two but 5-6 steps backward!!--unacceptable).
    I agree, but up to a point. I personally like the newer hardware design with it's slimmer profile, no flip-up antenna, better build quality & better screen. However, the constant removal of useful software/user interface features is wearing thin on me. For example, the removal of the map scale indicator on the 2x0 units with a firmware "update". It was on my nuvi 200 when I first bought it but was removed by Garmin for reasons unknown. Magically, it is now available again on the nuvi 2x5 series. I, for one used this seemingly innocent little display feature (and continue to do so on my 7xx's), as I'm sure others have. To remove it just because Garmin feels that users don't need it (or for whatever other reason) is simply wrong. This would for example be like taking your car in for say, an oil change (nuvi firmware update) at the dealer and getting it back with the car's digital clock removed, just because the dealer thought that you were not using it or just because they wanted to. I paid for the clock and I used it. For it to simply be removed by the dealer is uncalled for, regardless of whether or not I actually used it. The features that Garmin removes from nuvis just slowly get added back to the newer units, tempting you to want to upgrade with every new unit release.

But then again you also have to remember that Garmin is in the market to sell GPS units. If Garmin created the "ultimate" unit with every single feature available on it, they would not be around for too long since you wouldn't need to purchase another unit for quite a few years.
  • mrgamers 0 Points
    yep. i agree with your points about Nuvi 700 series. I didn't know there were MANY more steps backward than i thought. The problem is not the hardware(it can't be changed for those who own it), many of the problems are the SOFTWARE related. These CAN be FIXED. Garmin CHOOSES not to up to this point and probably won't. They are walking a very fine line of keeping their customer and losing returning customers.
  • kwhunter 0 Points
    Apart from calculating weird routes, which I believe is inherent to any software, reception and lock is strong.
    The detail that I hate the most is the silver colour of the case; for a high end unit, the silvery reflection in the windshield is annoying at best.
    The place I bought it has a no return policy, but I would try to trade it in for a charcoal 760.
    a bit disappointed with nuvi 700. it seems to take several steps back from nuvi 600 series. first the annoying sound feature that can't be turned off, 2nd less battery life, and third a weaker satellite reception---this defeats the whole purpose of redesign. Yes, i did update my nuvi to the latest firmware. it is still much weaker than the nuvi 600.

That just my opinion.

As for the sound, does anyone has any opinion on how to turn it off?