This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

ONE reviews?

Ace21 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Can anyone provide me with some first-hand experiences that they've had with the ONE? I am thinking about getting one for my SO for Xmas and would like to hear some user reviews. I know that the highlight of this product is it's pure simplicity and the good maps-- but if I could get some more in-depth feedback, that would be great. TIA.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I've used the one first-hand. Is there anything in particular you would like to know about it?
  • ychim 0 Points
    Tim

Do you think it is possible to drive most of the time ONLY to the spoken directions, i.e., turn-by-turn instructiions and road name etc. without looking at the screen? For someone who has just passed the driving test this is almost a necessity, at least for the next few months. Also, will TT1 start giving instructioin from, say, a car park or a small road as soon as it is switched on? The Compressio 500 seemed unable to -- NOT UNTIL you are nearer to a biggish road. Many thanks in advance.

Yan.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yan, are you asking about the TomTom ONE, or GPS devices in general?
  • ychim 0 Points
    Tim

TomTom ONE. But if not possible with TomTom ONE, then what would be the cheapest SatNav to turn to? Thanks again.

Yan
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If I was going to navigate on spoken directions only then you would certainly want a device which has text-to-speech. Without that feature the GPS will say things like "In 500 feet turn right" instead of something more specific such as "In 500 feet turn right on Adams Avenue".

There would be other considerations as well. For example sometimes streets can change names and looking at the GPS it is obvious which way to go, but the spoken street name might not be correct.

There are other times such as at "Y" intersections where the GPS might not tell you which way to go verbally, however looking at the map would produce the result.

Also, without looking at the GPS you might not even know you have missed a turn. Many of the devices reroute you so fast that had you only listened to the device and made an incorrect turn you might not even know you missed a turn. (Although the GPS will just reroute you from your current position.)

So I would say that much of the time it probably is possible to navigate only on spoken directions, however I can certainly think of times where that wouldn't work.

Most GPS devices do have smaller roads, but they don't have car parks (aka parking lots). They also don't frequently have the little roads in and out of shopping malls. However they normally mark where you are and draw on the map where the nearest road is thus giving you a direction in the car park to head to get to the road.
  • ychim 0 Points
    Many thanks for the very detailed answer, Tim. From your reply the TT1 probably has no "text-to-Speech" capability. I will find out the cheapest TomTom [for example, GO510, GO710 or GO910, & etc] that has it and discuss further.

Meanwhile, imagine starting from a parking lot. Does your TT1 say something like this: "Move forward ten yards, go through the exit and turn right into Adam Street", [assuming Adam Street is in the TeleMap data supplied with the TT1]?

I think I can manage to glance at the screen at Y junctions, and also where it appears to be absolutely necessary, .

The GARMIN Nuvi 350 might do the trick. Would you have chosen the 350 [or 360] under the circumstances or, perhaps, the Nuvi 660 ?

I said "car park" and not "parking lot" because I live in W02 N52 !!

Yan
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Here in the states, the only Tomtom with TTS is the 910. I'm don't remember for sure if the 710 has it or not since it isn't sold in the states, but I don't *think* it does. I think the only one that has it is the 910.

No, when you are in a car park it doesn't give you any verbal directions. It will just display a dashed line in the screen from where you are to the nearest road on the route.

Correct, the Nuvi 350 does have text to speech.

W02 N52? Birmingham?
  • ychim 0 Points
    Cheltenham, not Birmingham. It's nearly 02.00. I had better turn in now. You have saved me one return order. Thanks.

Yan