This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

8100T

kpence73 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
How do I set the time on this thing???? It is an hour behind and there are no time set options...also how does this thing know if I cross a time zone or not?

I have to say that in the hour I have been using it I don't really like it. I had a Tomtom 920 and while it isn't as pretty, it had far more functionality.

Also how do I choose and alternate root if I don't like the one it has chosen for me?

Comments

• myzhi 0 Points
    How do I set the time on this thing???? It is an hour behind and there are no time set options...also how does this thing know if I cross a time zone or not?

I have to say that in the hour I have been using it I don't really like it. I had a Tomtom 920 and while it isn't as pretty, it had far more functionality.

Also how do I choose and alternate root if I don't like the one it has chosen for me?
    Time is set by data you received from the orbiting satellites. You shouldn't need to mess with it. If it's off by 1 hour, it's probably that US government (operate GPS system) hasn't update the time for your time zone. What time zone are you in? If you move from one time zone to another, the 8100T change the time to match the one in that time zone.

To select alternative routes, use different routing option or use block road option to remove road(s) you don't want to travel on.
  • As a TT920 user I am sure the OP will be completely unsatisfied by your answers.
    It seems too much functionality will be missing.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If it's off by 1 hour, it's probably that US government (operate GPS system) hasn't update the time for your time zone.
    The GPS system doesn't know anything about time zones, it just works off of GMT, aka Zulu time. It is up to the software on each GPS device to determine how they want to calculate and display time-zone offests.
  • As a TT920 user I am sure the OP will be completely unsatisfied by your answers.
    It seems too much functionality will be missing.
    I know every GPS system is different in how it works, and I am finding that most of the same functionality is there, but it is either hidden or accessed in a strange way. It just seems to me that there are too many keystrokes to access what in my opinion would be commonly used features. The alternate root thing for example. I am used to touching one option and the route is recalculated, but I finding with Navigon, you have to go into the turn by turn and tell it to avoid the road interested, but what if it isn't a road you want to avoid, but just want a different route.

It is growing on me though, if I could just get my computer to read the SD card.
  • myzhi 0 Points
    If it's off by 1 hour, it's probably that US government (operate GPS system) hasn't update the time for your time zone.

The GPS system doesn't know anything about time zones, it just works off of GMT, aka Zulu time. It is up to the software on each GPS device to determine how they want to calculate and display time-zone offests.
    All I knew is in November, USA changed time due to daylight saving. The GPS device was off by 1 hour for few days. Read it had to do with US government taking little while to update GPS satellites.
  • If it's off by 1 hour, it's probably that US government (operate GPS system) hasn't update the time for your time zone.

All I knew is in November, USA changed time due to daylight saving. The GPS device was off by 1 hour for few days. Read it had to do with US government taking little while to update GPS satellites.

It know my TomTom was always 1 hour off. I had to manual set it every time. It had the option to "sync" with the satelites but it never would. Seems I read somewhere that the "sync" option didn't work on US units. Even when I crossed a time zone, I thought it would update, but it wouldn't. I would think that the unit would know from the map if I crossed a time zone or not and then adjust the clock.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The sync has always worked on my TomTom devices. But remember what it is doing.. it syncs the device with GMT and then still requires the user to enter in the offset.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Also keep in mind that the dates of the time change are different now from past years. If the software wasn't updated/revised to account for the date change, then daylight savings time would not occur on the device when it should. At least I think that's correct. :D