This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Tomtom Go 740 real device snapshot

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Thanks for the link. TomTom made a blunder in the UK by only having the mp3 player on the 940, not the 540 or 740 over there. Wonder whether they've screwed up by not having the mp3 on the 740 here.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    I'll find out for you today. Might not be until later today as I've got quite a few press briefings setup.
  • papa 0 Points
    Now if they would add free lifetime traffic........
  • dhn 336 Points
    Apparently the 740 comes with 1-year subscription. When rolled out in Britain, it was 3 months free (and a 40 pound gas card). I think it is 8 pounds a month after the free trial.
  • A 40 pound gas card... Imagine carrying that in a back pocket.

Sorry, it had to be done.

The 740 looks to be good for someone who doesn't have a cell phone, or their carrier rates are too expensive for data plans to make it functional.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    True. Many cell phone plans help you "fill in the blanks" for your GPS. Traffic feeds, Google Search, Gas Prices (even by fuel type) with your cell data plan make a subscription-based $500 GPS a little tougher sell.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    edited January 2009
    I was just advised that the 740 will not have the "enhanced" HD traffic similar to that used in Holland/Britain, etc. Initially the services will be Google local search, gas prices, weather data, GPS ephemeris download (quick fix) and real-time traffic. But the traffic offered will be the same that's currently available thru cell-phone Bluetooth connection. In other words, if you have a cell phone plan for your current 720/730 for GPRS traffic, there will be no improvement in the traffic reported over what you have now. The only immediate benefit I can see is Google Search. Also, the map released with the 740 is supposed to now be broken down in 3-minute intervals for many areas using IQRoutes. Only other thing of note is that Gas Prices should update every 4 hours, but it may be limited to certain brands or chains as TomTom states it's for 120,000 gas stations. That will probably be clearer as the release date approaches.

TomTom does hope to have a carrier signed up to supply HD traffic info by the time the one-year initial subscription is due to renew. No pricing has been set yet for subscription renewal. Note that Navteq and ClearChannel have indicated they will have a competing service in place this year. Some of the ClearChannel services are in the process of rolling out.
  • dhn 336 Points
    A review of threads in the Brit forum shows that HD traffic is not working in practice nearly as well as the marketing hypes would have one believe.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    So we'll probably not be missing much then.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    You do get a bit more than the standard traffic offering... it is integrated into the device without needing an RDS-TMC cable, you get the fuel prices subscription, and you get the Google Local search.