This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigating to a city center

kpence73 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
How do you navigate to a cross street or a city center. If I know the "area" I am interested in or I am traveling out of town and only want to navigate to a downtown area how do I do that? I know I can go to the map and navigate to a point I pick on the map, but I tried that with a small town about two hours from me and it took way too long to try scroll the map in and out to get to the city. There are also times when I want to get to a entertainment area of a town and know that it is at the cross of x and y.

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    To Center City:

New Destination -> Enter an Address (Street in a City) -> Put in a City or Zip Code -> Tap the Green checkmark -> In the bottom right hand of the part of the keyboard tap on Start Navigation. You do not need to enter any more info, i.e, street, number. That should get you to city center or in the case of a zip code in a large city with several, to the center of that zip code.

What model Navigon are you using? Not sure if you have the "Intersection" choice when you go to New Destination.

Intersection

New Destination -> Enter an Address (Street in a City) -> Put in a City or Zip Code ->Enter the 1st street -> Tap on Intersection tab -> Enter 2nd Street.
  • Just to let you know, the definition of city center in GPS maps is the location of the city hall or town manager, not necessarily the physical center of a city or town.

Alex
  • Just to let you know, the definition of city center in GPS maps is the location of the city hall or town manager, not necessarily the physical center of a city or town.

Alex
    That's fine...sometimes I just want to get to a town several hours away, but don't care necessarily where in the town.
  • To Center City:

New Destination -> Enter an Address (Street in a City) -> Put in a City or Zip Code -> Tap the Green checkmark -> In the bottom right hand of the part of the keyboard tap on Start Navigation. You do not need to enter any more info, i.e, street, number. That should get you to city center or in the case of a zip code in a large city with several, to the center of that zip code.

What model Navigon are you using? Not sure if you have the "Intersection" choice when you go to New Destination.

Intersection

New Destination -> Enter an Address (Street in a City) -> Put in a City or Zip Code ->Enter the 1st street -> Tap on Intersection tab -> Enter 2nd Street.
    Thank you so much for that. To be honest, I never noticed the "Intersection" tab and it took me forever to figure out that the tabs are even "clickable". I thought I had to chose the city, then the street, etc.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Just to let you know, the definition of city center in GPS maps is the location of the city hall or town manager, not necessarily the physical center of a city or town.

Alex

I hope it does not guide you to the Town Manager - ours is always running off to Las Vegas every chance he gets!! (Not sure whose money he is using either!) :shock:

But, seriously, how can that statement be true/accurate in a large city with multiple zip codes? For that matter in my small town it does not come close to the "city hall". Although in looking at the designated POI it may be a closer representation of the geographic center. Bottom line is it is not all that important as most people just want to get to the town as kpence73 stated.

Alex

I hope it
    does not guide you to the Town Manager - ours is always running off to Las Vegas every chance he gets!! (Not sure whose money he is using either!) :shock:
    Wouldn't it be something if you could search like this: "Search for a POI -> My future spouse", unless it says "POI not found" :(
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @ kpence73 - Which model Navigon do you have? I'm in the process of trying to answer your Search for POI question and it would help to know.
  • @ kpence73 - Which model Navigon do you have? I'm in the process of trying to answer your Search for POI question and it would help to know.
    8100t
  • One thing about the intersection I found out the hard way is that my 5100 Max does not consider overpasses or underpasses as intersections. Intersections must be a physical connection of two or more roads...ie. you have to be able to turn directly from one to another without ramps
  • Sorry, my 8100 is still in the mail. However, you're saying you must know the city zip to navigate to it? I.e. from my house in colorado springs to Denver, I'd have to know Denver zip to get me there? That's not reasonable. How does anyone know the zip of a city besides their own? Like, route me from Colorado to Lancaster, Ca. I do that trip all the time, but have NO idea what the zip of Lancaster Ca is. Most GPS have navigate to city, which in my experence is the town hall.
    This can't be true.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    No, you don't need to know a Zip code to find a city. You bring up the onscreen keyboard and type in the town/city. Navigon uses predictive text once you type in a letter or two to only present letters for known cities (in the database) to speed up the process.

Actually using a Zip code may be a slower process as once the onscreen keyboard is invoked you then need to change to the numeric keypad and by the time you do all that you may as well just type letters.

PS - when you post a question like that and it is not obviously a response to the message directly above it helps everyone if you paste in a quote from the post you are replying to. I really had no idea what your question referred to in this thread. :)