This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

8100t mount

papa 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Has anyone seen this 8100t mount from Proclip? It appears that it would eliminate having to use the huge mounting arm.

Comments

• Looks like it would work no problem.

I've confirmed the TMC is built into the unit and not the arm or the power cord of the 8100T. So any mount with any USB plug should work. The Proclip one looks very nice.

I've confirmed the TMC is built into the unit and not the arm or the power cord of the 8100T. So any mount with any USB plug should work. The Proclip one looks very nice.
    The TMC antenna is in the USB power cord. You can see it as a separate wire that is about half the length of the power cord and there is that "knob" where the antenna ends and is secured to the USB cord. When my 8100T is not on the power cord, TMC does not work. If I check the TMC settings, the reception is only 1 bar. Now, if you use a different USB cord, I don't know if that will act as an antenna, but I know for sure the unit does not pick up TMC at all if it is on battery.

The TMC antenna is in the USB power cord. You can see it as a separate wire that is about half the length of the power cord and there is that "knob" where the antenna ends and is secured to the USB cord. When my 8100T is not on the power cord, TMC does not work. If I check the TMC settings, the reception is only 1 bar. Now, if you use a different USB cord, I don't know if that will act as an antenna, but I know for sure the unit does not pick up TMC at all if it is on battery.
    The unit may have a dedicated antenna on the power cord, but I was getting TMC alerts while using a run of the mill USB cord with the unit hooked to my mac for power. So clearly the actual receiver is IN the unit.
  • I don't think it would matter with the pass through setup as it looks like you can use the USB cable that came with the GPS unit:
    # Pass Through Connector for cable attachment in bottom of holder
    # Fits any kind of cable that would fit directly into the bottom of the device

Unless...the cable on the 8100T is NOT a USB cable. Haven't received mine yet to determine that. I believe I've read of people pluging in the GPS without the mount thus implying its just a USB cable.
    The proclip pass though sounds sweet, but wow, $100!
  • I don't think it would matter with the pass through setup as it looks like you can use the USB cable that came with the GPS unit:
    # Pass Through Connector for cable attachment in bottom of holder
    # Fits any kind of cable that would fit directly into the bottom of the device

Unless...the cable on the 8100T is NOT a USB cable. Haven't received mine yet to determine that. I believe I've read of people pluging in the GPS without the mount thus implying its just a USB cable.
    The proclip pass though sounds sweet, but wow, $100!
    The pass though mount works fine. I use it in my car with the original plug. In my wife's car I use the windshield mount along with a standard computer USB cable + an in car Ciglighter -> USB adapter (I also charge my ipod on that). Traffic works fine on both.

The unit uses any attached USB cord as an antenna for TMC. However, it seems that it has to be a true USB cable (not just one for power) for it to work. If you have a standard computer data usb cable, it WILL work fine. I suspect the TMC uses one of the data pins as the antenna.
  • papa 0 Points
    Has anyone used this type of Proclip mount?

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=144&pageid=8044&processor=content&pcategoryid=12941
    &categoryid=13019&year=1994&p_origin=144&p_sectionid=144
    &p_pageid=8901&p_processor=asp&p_asp_processor=product
    &p_action=proclipcategorysearch&p_ppagecategoryid=13872
    &p_pagecategoryid=14172&p_pcategoryid=12941
    &p_categoryid=13019&p_sitecategoryid=&p_year=1994
    &p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

I wonder if can be removed easily when you leave the vehicle. I'd rather not have it show when I leave the vehicle. Any other removable options?
  • Link doesn't work.
  • mboy 0 Points
    I have the proclip mount (clip for my vehicle and pass thru cradle for my 8100) on the way.

I also ordered the male/female adapter that allows you to slide the entire cradle off of the car clip so I can put the entire thing in glove box, take out of car etc.
    This will only leave the samll mounting clip exposed in my vehicle so that should help prying eyes from easily seeing something in the vehicle.

Little pricey, but cheaper then replacing 8100 and a window.

I will be getting a clip for my wife's ar, so I can easily switch between vehicles as well.
  • Thats a good idea. I've got the passthough adapter but no male/female slidey thing. Which makes taking down the GPS a gigantic pain.
  • mboy 0 Points
    Called the Move system.
    2 female and 1 male adapter. Like $18.xx shipped.
    Def. worth it.
  • papa 0 Points
    Actually, the link does work. I think you must enable 'cookies', click USA, then click the link again.
    8)
  • Got it.

However, looking at this, you may as well go for the cheap (non-pass through) mount. Since every time you take down the GPS, you'll need to unplug it anyway. (unless you just toss it under the seat or something).

IMO the pass though mount only makes sense if you are leaving the mount up and plugged in all the time but only remove the GPS itself.
  • papa 0 Points
    This will only leave the small mounting clip exposed in my vehicle so that should help prying eyes from easily seeing something in the vehicle.
    So I guess there's no way to remove the mount once installed. I just hate leaving any clues around. But I don't know any alternatives other than the beanbag or cupholder mount routes.
  • papa 0 Points
    ...the pass though mount only makes sense if you are leaving the mount up and plugged in all the time but only remove the GPS itself.
    Good point.

I also want to hardwire the unit so I purchased the add-a-fuse thing and a cigarette lighter socket. The add-a-fuse has ONE wire coming from it and the lighter socket has TWO wires. How do I connect the two?
  • ...the pass though mount only makes sense if you are leaving the mount up and plugged in all the time but only remove the GPS itself.

Good point.

I also want to hardwire the unit so I purchased the add-a-fuse thing and a cigarette lighter socket. The add-a-fuse has ONE wire coming from it and the lighter socket has TWO wires. How do I connect the two?
    Connect one to the cig lighter, and another one to ground (attach to a metal screw connecting with the metal body of the car). At least thats how I wired my Radar Detector using add a fuse.
  • mboy 0 Points
    Pass thru is better option for me.

1) WHen using cig plug, I can remove the whole thing including plug from cig lighter.

2) The usb port/power plug implementation is horrible on the 8100 and the usb plug EASILY falls out of the unit.

Hopefully, it stays in the cradle better then it does in the 8100 itself.