This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

11.8GB of disc space needed for 2010 map update!

I recently contacted this group and got great help. The topic was "What happens with 2010 map update?" After the event, I found a link that explains it all:

http://www8.garmin.com/documents/instructions/MapDownloadsUnit_Instructions.pdf

However, it makes no mention of the massive amount of disc space that is needed.

Here are my experiences:

I used the Garmin Download Manager to download the 3.2 GB Garmin_rmu_cneunt2010.exe file that on a "busy" broadband link that took 7 hour. I located this on my C: Drive
Next, ran this downloaded file that started to unpack the files. It didn't say where it would locate the unpacked file and didn't give a choice. After 50% my PC reported lack of space on the C: drive so I exited the unpack programme.
I made 6.4 GB more space on the C: drive and the unpack operation then took 4.5 GB of this to leave only 1.9 GB.

The Garmin programme then advised that to make a map image file and then to send it to the Nuvi would take about 2 hours. I started and it reported needing 2.2GB more space on the C: drive. That is a whopping 4.1 GB on top of the unpacked 4.5 GB on top of the 3.2 GB download.
I made this space and the image took about 15Mins to generate and about 1 hour to download to the Nuvi.

After the download the Nuvi was fine and reported the new maps.

My PC reported 8.6 GB of space – obviously it deleted all the tempfiles it had created but had left the 3.2 GB download.

3.2 GB + 4.5 Gb+ 4.1 GB = 11.8 GB

I've not found anything on the Garmin site to advise on how much disc space is needed.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Unless it has recently changed, Garmin forces you to use the C: drive, which is problematic for many people. My "PC" is actually a Mac with a Bootcamp partition. No way that I would have enough free space on the C: drive for something like this!
  • dhn 336 Points
    But the 3.2 gb download can be deleted once it has 'done its thing', can't it?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited April 2009
    Unless it has recently changed, Garmin forces you to use the C: drive, which is problematic for many people
    Nothing has changed with the newest 2010.10 update. The installer unpacks the compressed download file onto C:, then the installer runs on C:, the map update is installed on C: and to finish off, the newest version of MapSource is also installed on C:, regardless of how much space is available on other drives of if you have a previous version of MapSource already installed elsewhere.

To install a map update onto my 10 GB laptop C:, I have to:

1. Simply delete whatever I can from the C: regardless of installed components (I use Drive Image to store images of my C: and revert back to my last image when done)

2. Rename the installer to .RAR and place that on my D: or other large drive on the system.

3. Set WinRAR's temp folder to another large drive on the system.

4. Use WinRAR to decompress the compressed installer package to another large drive on the system.

5. Run setup from the decompressed installer package & let it do it's thing (map image, install MapSource, transfer map image to nuvi).

6. Restore my C: image to what it was before all this crap hit it.

7. Delete any WinRAR temp folders from my other drives.

All that, just to get the map image from the downloaded file onto the nuvi...I do NOT use the new MapSource or the new maps installed with it on the PC and it gets wiped with my image restore of C:.

Sure, I could repartition my C: but how big is big enough? I don't want the new MapSource or the new maps on C: anyways...I don't need it in my image of C: which is turning into multi-GB already. Since I burn these images to DVD for archival purposes, they have to be smaller than a standard DVD-ROM...

It's simply amazing that they are still doing this. :roll:
    And it's not likely to change either...you know Garmin.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    What amazed me was how long it took to unpack and do the installation after the download. Actually, the download only took about a half-hour but the rest took somewhere around an hour.
  • By dhn "But the 3.2 gb download can be deleted once it has 'done its thing', can't it?"
    Yes it can but the point I was making was that Garmin do not tell you what space you need or that you can get rid of the download.

This is my first experince of Garmin and I feel reasonably competent with my PC. Imagine an unsuspecting novice.
    The buy a Garmin, register it and get told they can update the maps - ZAP - they wouldn't know what had hit them!
  • dhn 336 Points
    Well, my experience is similar to yours in that this past weekend I went through the process of registering my first Garmin (a 250) download and installation of required software, including getting a map update.

The download file for the 250 was about 2.1 gb.

My background is with TomTom. So, I know how to download its computer software and know how and what to expect when updating maps as well. It was an interesting comparison of the two methods.

And, as well noted, the Tom Tom unit is more configurable than a Garmin, so it is true of the computer software as well. TomTom allows you to change its default location for download files. As you and others have noted, Garmin knows from the c:\ drive and that is it.

I work in the software industry so am particularly sesitive to useability of the software being used. Just as TomTom has dropped the ball in various areas, so too has Garmin, it seems.
  • ifi 0 Points
    I have a 12GB C: drive partition and use 7zip instead of WinRAR to update the map, and my complaint is the same. I called Garmin and they know all about it, but no news of change.
  • dhn 336 Points
    I'm dating myself referring to DOS commands but there does exist a subst command such that by running: subst c: d: (or something like that :? ) causes references to c: to actually point to d:.

In fact, in the dim past, I seem to remember using that while running Windows.
  • dc9mm2 0 Points
    No offense to some of you guys but it sure sounds like some of you really need an upgrade to your PC's. You can get for a desktop pc a 500 gig hard drive for like 55 bucks. at newegg.com . You cant really blame Garmin for using only 12 gig of space. thats peanuts in this day. Get a cloning program (norton ghost) to clone your drive contents on new drive then make it the new C drive.
    Laptops of course are harder but if you still using a laptop so old it only has a 10 gig drive boy that must be ancient with win 98 on it. Again no offense just seems a little silly now not to have more available space on your c drive. Your PC will run ALOT slower with this small free space. I have 4 terabytes of drive space. with 300 gig free on c drive.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited April 2009
    Laptops of course are harder but if you still using a laptop so old it only has a 10 gig drive boy that must be ancient with win 98 on it.
    Bzzzt...wrong answer. My hard 80GB drive is partitioned...C: is 10GB for the OS (WinXP) and frequently used programs. The remaining 70 GB is used for application data and installed programs. This is done to keep C: manageable in size for imaging with Drive Image (similar to Norton Ghost). The bigger the C: drive is and the more crap that gets put on it, the harder it is to keep the compressed images small enough to fit on a standard 4.7 GB DVD-ROM for archiving.

All software that I have ever installed gives you the option of putting large application data files on any drive on the system and keeps only the registry entries and other smaller frequently access/critical files on the C:. Garmin does not and forces EVERYTHING onto the C:..I have plenty of space on my D: Why force it all onto C: ? :?

I know many others who partition their C: drives small for this exact same reason, especially on laptops where simply "adding on" another internal hard drive is not an option as with a desktop PC.
  • From dc9mm2 "No offense to some of you guys but it sure sounds like some of you really need an upgrade to your PC's"
    So if Garmin said: "Hey Guys, buy our really great GPS products with free map updates BUT don't forget to buy a new PC at the same time because we don't make user friendly update software" then they wouldn't sell many GPS products.

All I want (and others as well) is for Garmin to TELL eveyone what disc space will be needed before they start to update the maps.

Like others, I use my PC with a small C: partition for Drive Imaging and large data files on the D: (250GB partition). I was able to move stuff around to suit Garmin but not everone could.
  • dc9mm2 0 Points
    I agree Garmin should allow you to pick another drive than the C drive. But a 10 gig partition is really small nowadays. I would consider any partition smaller than a 100 gig way to small for praticle use for todays programs. But if that works for you ok then. Still seems silly to me to have so little space on any partition. this is coming from a DOS user were my first hard drive was only if i remember correctly was 20 meg.

Most users of GPS units (any brand) dont even know they can update there maps so i kinda doubt Garmin would be worried about telling there custermers they need to upgrade the PC's. But they should allow you to pick another drive and it should tell you how much drive space is needed to install before atempting to install, as most programs do before they install. But i doubt you will see any change from Garmin on this. To many pc's even low end Dells come with 250 gig drives now.
  • elborak 0 Points
    Assuming you are using XP Pro (likely Vista also, though I've avoided that pig) and NTFS, you can create a junction point to make the Garmin directory on your C: drive point to wherever you like. I've used this for years with the stubborn Garmin "C: only" installers with no ill effects.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point
  • Tim 1480 Points
    But a 10 gig partition is really small nowadays.
    I run two businesses (both internet based) and all of my personal computing on a single 80 GB drive and that is even with the machine having three different operating systems installed. I've got about 15 GB free.
  • Guess what - you don't have to update maps :D :D :D

know some that have never updated firmware or maps for years and it does what they want to do...

It's us semi-geeks that MUST have the latest and greatest :lol:

I solved my laptop(s) small size delimma with a $75 external USB hard drive --- 640 GIG for $75 ??!?

Are you kidding me? back in the day remember selling TINY memory & hard drives for hundreds !
  • flop 0 Points
    Hi,

I just had the problem, HDD partitionned at work, do not enough space on the C drive. At home, I am on Linux. I have got VMs as well, but the unit does not get recognized in VMware, weird.

Anyway, the solution is to use WinRAR or 7Zip to decompress the .exe file where you want. Easy enough, right :shock:

Cheers