This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Create Favorites From an Address List?

Is it possible to convert a list of names and addresses into a set of favorites that can be imported into a Nuvi? My wife is tediously entering addresses into the device manually. It seemed like there might be a way to do that en masse.

Comments

• A couple of ways. Are you good with Excel? If so, you can build a custom POI file on the computer and upload it to your GPS with Garmin's free POILoader. Or use Google Maps. You can type in the GPS and in the upper right corner of the map there's a "send" button you can click on then "GPS". You can send the address directly from Google Maps to the GPS. You can also call Garmin and plead with them to send you Mapsource for free. You can manage all of your favorites with it and enter them to send to the GPS. You still have to enter the address, but it's much easier on a full sized keyboard.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    You'll still have to manually enter the addresses into something...

The PC is a much easier device to enter addresses/waypoints/favorites into than the GPS unit itself. Give this utility a try:

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yes... however depending how many you have it might not be worth the effort. Here are some relevant/similar threads:

Importing Favorites
    Upload name/addresses into GPS
    Importing Excel addresses to 765T
    Custom POIs and addresses?
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Thanks for the replies. All the methods mentioned require making them POIs. I want to make them Favorites in such a way that the Nuvi adds the coordinates automatically based on the address and stores them as Favorites, not POIs.

I take it from the replies and links this isn't possible.
  • All the methods mentioned require making them POIs.
    No, they don't. One method I told you about loads the addresses directly into your Favorites. Use Google Maps, type in the address and hit "send" in the upper right corner of the map. "GPS" is an option and then select Garmin in the brand menu. It will take you to a Garmin specific page to load it. Very simple and quick. NO custom POIs are involved.
    I want to make them Favorites in such a way that the Nuvi adds the coordinates automatically based on the address and stores them as Favorites, not POIs.
    Again, the method above will do that. It will load it into Favorites and you can pull the lat/long right off the Nuvi from the Favorite. Put it in sim mode, select the Favorite, find the Favorite on the 2D "scroll around" map and hit "set loc" to move the car icon to that location. Look up the coordinates on either the satellite status page or "coordinates" under "Where To" as the very last selection.

AS A DISCLAIMER: This may not be exactly the same on your 265WT, but this is how it works on my 660. :wink:
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    You're right I did miss that, probably because of the mentions of POIs with no mention of Favorites. That does work. It's not a direct import of a list of addresses, but it's much easier than entering them in the device.
  • You're right I did miss that, probably because of the mentions of POIs with no mention of Favorites. That does work. It's not a direct import of a list of addresses, but it's much easier than entering them in the device.
    Yup, you still have to type the address but, as both SergZak and I mentioned, it's soooo much easier on a full sized keyboard. I'm so lazy that I keep a notepad text file on my desktop with a bunch of addresses I occasionally need but don't want to keep them permanently on my GPS and clutter up my Favorites. Type once and highlight/copy/paste in the future. How's that for lazy? 8)
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Is there a way to paste in the name at the same time as the address? When I do it I have to add the name manually after clicking Send.
  • airgunner23airgunner23 0 Points
    edited April 2009
    Is there a way to paste in the name at the same time as the address? When I do it I have to add the name manually after clicking Send.
    No, you have to manually enter the name on the GPS. Unless you have Mapsource. You can move the cursor to mark (or type/copy/paste an address), name it, choose a unique icon then save Favorites in a list on your PC and manage them there. That's how I was able to upload my numerous Favorites from an older Street Pilot to the computer and download them into my new (at the time) Nuvi. Mapsource used to come free but, unfortunately, that's no longer the case. I got it with my Street Pilot, but not the Nuvi. The cool thing is when you update the maps on the GPS, you get the same map update on the computer. You can build your address list there, name each one and transfer it in one fell swoop. Be advised that it will completely replace the current Favorites on the GPS and not add to them. But, with Mapsource, you can save each Favorites file with a different name. I have so many that I had to break them up into east cost and west coast files. Or, you can copy the file directly off the GPS in My Computer (Windows) and change the name on the computer. When you want that file back, name it back to current.gpx and drag it to the correct folder and presto!

As for Mapsource... Call, cry, bitch, moan, etc. Many people have had it sent to them for free or a small $5 shipping fee for the DVD. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. People have had luck calling another day and talking to a different CS rep. Seems to be who you get and how they're feeling that day. I've experienced this personally with another issue.

Just checked to make sure I wasn't providing BS info on Mapsource as I haven't used it in a while. Everything I said is correct, but Mapsource refers to Favorites as Waypoints. Same difference. 8)
  • i_am_jim 81 Points

No, you have to manually enter the name on the GPS.
    Well, not exactly, you can enter the name on the google page you get after clicking Send. It's a highlighted box at the top called Name:. It defaults to the address, but you can change it to anything you want.
  • I still highly recommend asking Garmin for Mapsource. It's like having your GPS in "big screen" on your computer and a whole lot more. If you ever get a GPS, like the 700 series, which supports multiple waypoints to create routes, you can do this on the computer and send it all to the GPS. That and managing Favorites files makes it very useful. Build a list once, save it and you're done!

Another cool thing is it's much easier to "move around" and see if there were any changes with each map update in any areas of concern.

• Well, not exactly, you can enter the name on the google page you get after clicking Send. It's a highlighted box at the top called Name:. It defaults to the address, but you can change it to anything you want.
    That's a cool feature I didn't really notice. I don't use that method because I have Mapsource, but I did remember reading about it. Glad you found it useful.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I want to make them Favorites in such a way that the Nuvi adds the coordinates automatically based on the address and stores them as Favorites, not POIs.
    What is the advantage for you of having them as favorites instead of POIs? Just curious.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    This is a little old, but maybe worth a look. See the thread for an alternate method of getting MapSource.
  • What is the advantage for you of having them as favorites instead of POIs? Just curious.
    I wondered that, too. On my 660, it's two extra clicks from "where to" to Custom POIs under "Extras". And, they're completely separated and not listed in order of distance intermingled with the other Favorites. And they're easily managed/swapped out with Garmin's free POILoader program.

The only "harder" step is you need to know the actual lat/long coordinates first when building your own custom POIs. But, that's not hard with the street address and using any one of the free internet mapping utilities like Google Maps, etc...
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Only advantage I can think of: Favorites will show on map screen while poi's will not, except at close zoom levels, under 500'.
  • Only advantage I can think of: Favorites will show on map screen while poi's will not, except at close zoom levels, under 500'.
    Doesn't really matter if you're navigating a "list" and leapfrogging from one destination to the next. Since I'm only allowed one intermediate waypoint on the 660, I put the final destination in and start with the first/closest "insert here" waypoint and when I get to that one, next!

Waypoint = either Custom POI or Favorite.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    But it might matter if you're simply looking at the map screen to determine what favorites you already have in the area.
  • But it might matter if you're simply looking at the map screen to determine what favorites you already have in the area.
    True, but we're talking about actually navigating a route. In that case, only the ones in question are of interest.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The OP didn't ask about using them to create or navigate a route. The question simply involved setting up favorites en masse.