This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

More 7x5 touchscreen issues.

Hello all. Ive been lurking the site now for a while, and I felt that I should post my situation.

Currently, I am in possession of my 4th Garmin Nuvi, in a span of less than 3 weeks.

Allow me to explain the complete story:

I purchased at 755t from walmart first. The touchscreen had no issues when I took it out of the box. As directed, I updated the software to version 3.0.
After the update, the touchscreen became erratic, and inaccurate. Simply pushing the down arrow on a POI menu would select a POI from the middle of the screen. Many different presses throughout the unit would register in a COMPLETELY different spot. The issue was simply unbearable.

I contacted Garmin support, and they sent me a new 755t unit.
The unit had no problems out of the box. I used it for a day, and it had not a single touchscreen issue.
Later, I updated the software as instructed..... and the touchscreen issues returned. Random and inaccurate presses were once again being registered with my brand new unit.

Not wanting to continue this aggravation any longer, I returned the unit to WalMart for a full refund.
Reluctantly, I purchased a 265wt as a replacement.
(**Side note, CURRENTLY, the 265wt has given me no touchscreen problems whatsoever. I still have it.)
However, I have quickly realized that the 265wt is not the model of GPS that I think is right for me, and I would much prefer the 7x5 series.

So, today, I took a chance and advantage of a great price, and bought the 765t from BestBuy hoping that I would not have this issue any longer.
I used the 765 today for approximately 6 hours, without 1 single touchscreen error. The unit was running beautifully all day,with no problems at all.

Just moments ago, I attached this brand new unit to my computer to update the software,.................and.....
I have removed the unit from my computer, and can confirm that the touchscreen issues have returned to this unit as well.

This is very sad and disappointing to me, as all I really want is a functioning Garmin GPS unit.
I do not want a unit with sporadic touchscreen presses.
It is simply unacceptable.
Also, having to purchase 4 Garmin units in hopes of maybe finding one without a touchscreen problem is also unacceptable.

Sorry to come off as a whiner and a complainer in my first post, but I feel like I needed to tell someone.
I emailed Garmin just now with a similar description of the problem.
Thanks for reading.

***Also, could anyone confirm if the correct Garmin support email address is in fact techsupp@garmin.com??

Comments

• @ this point I'd suggest not fixing it until you get confirmation from other users that the touchscreen issues are resolved.

I figure if it ain't broke....

I actually reverted to a previous firmware on my TomTom 930T to solve a stuttering problem introduced in the latest firmware.

Since most firmware upgrades made by garmin only offer minimal fixes, I'd run on the old firmware for a while if you are happy with the unit overall.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited February 2009
    Yes, Garmin's direct tech support email is indeed techsupp@garmin.com. Good luck on reporting issues...they seem to have started ignoring me with my current unresolved issues with the 765. :roll:

Your post should not be considered whining at all. You have every right to have a unit that works as it's intended to and AT LEAST as good as it did when you took it out of the box.

The biggest problem is that Garmin FORCES a firmware update on your unit (to what they believe is their best & most recent version) to do virtually anything online with that GPS unit. If someone wanted to stay at their current firmware which worked beautifully, they would not even be able to do so, since simply registering the unit online forces an update. So you either go through hoops as discovered by users here, or don't register the unit, thus losing any registration advantages (such as free map updates) that come with it.

If you want to register the unit, you get a forced firmware update.
    If you want to purchase new maps, you get a forced firmware update.
    If you want to install those maps you just purchased, you get a forced firmware update.
    If you want to run WebUpdater to check for updates OTHER THAN firmware updates (like voices, help files, Bluetooth, etc), you get a forced firmware update. Did I miss any?

Yes, there are ways around these forced updates as myself and others have discovered, but for the "Average Joe" just looking to register his unit but then to also have an "update" forced upon his unit with buggy code which makes it operate worse than it did out of the box is just plain idiotic. I've personally been able to avoid Garmin's forced updates on my 7x0 units since the 4.0 firmware fiasco which inflicted many units and even destroyed the 760's Bluetooth functionality due to unhappy users backdating those v4.x units because of it's problems.

I have never, ever seen Garmin at such a low point with buggy hardware and even buggier software for the entire nuvi line (not to mention the handheld line like the Colorado & Oregon series). Believe me, I have been a dedicated customer for many years since my first eMap years ago. Even MapSource (v6.14.1) was released with numerous bugs and performance issues that were so bad that users had to resort to searching out, and reinstalling the previous version because of all the issues with it. I think v6.14.1 was out for at least six months before a decent replacement was finally released (it's replacement having it's own issues, though thankfully nowhere near as bad as 6.14.1's problems).

More recently, the v2009.11 map update *requires* approx. 8 GB of data (decompression & installation of map data) on your C: drive with no other choice of where it's installed...it's again forced upon the user. If you have a small C: partition (as I do) dedicated to your operating system and use other drives (D:, E:, etc) for application data, you're out of luck and have to either remove other programs to get the required space or repartition your C: drive to be larger. No option is ever given to extract nor install this data to another drive, even if you have tons of space for it elsewhere on other drives.

I have also never seen Garmin with such a vast lineup of one particular line of GPS units, known as the nuvi...perhaps this is why they can't get one model working correctly. Models get discontinued in six months now (nuvi 8x0 series) with new models introduced seemingly ever faster, all with their own bugs and issues together with many old & unresolved bugs being carried over to the "new" models.

Garmin needs to discontinue at least half of their nuvi models, fix all lingering issues with those models and concentrate on producing quality units again, with upgradability and expandability instead of producing "throw-away after one year" GPS units.
  • SergZak,

I agree with you 100%

When i got my second 765T it worked ok. No touchscreen problem but
    after doing an update, the problem came back.

How many time will i have to change the unit before getting one that is working ok...?

So far, i'm not too impressed with Garmin.

Annoying
  • SergZak,

I have to agree about the # of models. Picking a Nuvi model to buy almost requires a PHD.

IMO some of the software problems may be the result of them having to maintain too many code bases. It seems that each unit runs a unique version of the software.

If I were in charge of Garmin, I'd have one main Garmin OS. Units would differ in the features they offered (bluetooth, MSN, widescreen) but the base software would be the same.
  • SergZag, you nailed it.
    They're forcing people to download horrible firmware, but then when you call up to complain about it, they give you the standard, "you need to calibrate the screen" or the "you need to do a master reset."
    NO!!! Thats not the answer to everything!! YOU need to fix the issue!

Well, I would like to try reverting back to the older software, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. The software page on garmin.com doesn't have the 7x5 line listed...unless if I'm not looking in the right spot...

I think, (but I'm not sure because I cant find a link to the release notes, and I'm not a gps builder, hahaha), that the update to 2.50 might be the cause of this problem. The reason I say that is because I remember reading the release notes, and one of the updates said something to the effect of "Improved touchscreen capabilities". Not exactly, but very similar.
    Maybe whatever they did in that update is what's causing the screen act the way it is?

SergZag, do you know how I would go about reverting to older software, and/or where I would find the different versions?
    Also, how safe is it do such a thing? I dont want to ruin the unit if I end up needing to return it to Best Buy.
    Thanks
  • SergZak 340 Points
    The known previous versions of the 7x5 firmware can be found here:

7x5 v2.50
    http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__250.gcd
    7x5 v3.00
    http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__300.gcd
    7x5 v3.10
    http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__310.gcd

Here's the link to the 7x5 series changelog:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4357

The exception being v2.20 which came pre-installed on new 7x5 units. This is NOT available.

Note that these are NOT executable files (Garmin no longer supplies firmware updates for most newer models in the executable type of update) but are are what Garmin calls "Region" files. When you run Webupdater, the appropriate region file is downloaded to your unit and the nuvi itself performs the update at the next power cycle.

To use the region file updates I've linked to above, download & save the desired file to your PC. Rename the file you downloaded to GUPDATE.GCD and copy it to your nuvi drive into the x:/Garmin folder. Safely disconnect your nuvi from the PC and power cycle it. The firmware update (or backdate) will then proceed. Using an older version than what is currently on the unit will backdate the firmware with the nuvi prompting you if that is what you really wish to do. Follow the prompts on the nuvi and the rest is automatic.

If you have favorites saved, you may want to back those up too before the update/backdate. From the nuvi drive, copy the file x:/Garmin/GPX/Current.gpx to another drive. To restore the favorites (if you need to...I have not had to do so with my many updates/backdates), rename Current.gpx to temp.gpx and copy it back to the nuvi drive in the same location. The favorites will be restored on the next power-cycle.

I have been updating/backdating my 765 numerous times now, verifying bugs & issues that I've been having with v3.00 and v3.10 with no ill-effect. Note though that you may likely have to redo all your user preferences like navigation avoidances, map display preferences, etc.

Also note that since the earliest downloadable previous version is v2.50 which supposedly addressed the touch-screen problems so that may not help you one bit. There is currently no way that I know of to backdate to anything earlier than v2.50 since the v2.20 region file was never publicly released. Still, it won't hurt to try...
  • Well, thanks for your help with the downloads. Unfortunately, I reverted back to 2.50 and the problem still exists.
    I wish there was a way to get back to 2.20... even though I really shouldn't have to.... ya know?
    I know for a fact it wasn't doing this out of the box, and I could tell within 2 minutes that the update to 3.1 caused it to start happening. (I was TRYING to get it to happen with 2.20, but it wouldn't.)

I dont know. This whole thing is really a shame.
    Does your 765 have this problem? If it is indeed the software, shouldn't all units be experiencing the problem?

I'm also worried that this is a problem Garmin doesn't even know about, so might not be working on a fix...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    My current 765 does not have touch-screen issues (only once in a while I'll get a random keypress elsewhere on the screen) but I had to go through 2 previous units to get a "good" one. The first two were bad out-of-the-box, even -with- v2.20 pre-installed on them. Random areas of the screen were being triggered when you touched one area. Many other users went through the same thing, exchanging units to get one with a "good" screen.

One thread is here:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/11195/x/p1/

Do a forum search to find much more.

I have a feeling that the touch screen issues are simply hardware defects with software corrections made to the firmware code to try and correct/compensate. While this would work fine on some units, it would wreak havoc on others since the touch screens are not consistent hardware-wise. Whether or not Garmin can fix this with all units will remain to be seen as it's pretty difficult to fix bad hardware with software.
  • Thanks SergZak for your very informative and helpful post. You are truly a great asset to this site..

I followed your directions and reverted back to 3.0 software. A quick question. If I try to run WebUpdater will it force me to update to 3.10 or will it let me choose if I want to update of not?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited February 2009
    If I try to run WebUpdater will it force me to update to 3.10 or will it let me choose if I want to update of not?
    Yes, it will force an update to the most recent version for your unit. There are two ways around this.

1. Run WebUpdater normally and allow it to "update" the firmware. No update will actually take place until the nuvi is disconnected from USB and power-cycled. After running WebUpdater but BEFORE disconnecting the nuvi from USB and power cycling it (this is a very important step), browse to x:/Garmin/ and delete GUPDATE.GCD. This is the file that does the actual update. If this is not on the nuvi or is an older version than the current firmware on the unit, no update will take place.

The second method is a bit trickier.

2. Connect the nuvi to the USB port. Browse the nuvi drive to x:/Garmin and right-click on the file GarminDevice.xml it and select "edit" using notepad. If you don't see this file, you'll need to set your PC to show hidden/system files. Look for this line:

<SoftwareVersion>250</SoftwareVersion>

Edit the version number (250 in the example above) to the current version number available for your unit or something higher like 400. Make only this change and save the file. If you somehow screw up, don't worry as the file is regenerated whenever the nuvi is power-cycled and you can try again (it's really not as hard as it may seem). Doing this will prevent WebUpdater from even transferring the firmware update file (GUPDATE.GCD) to your nuvi since it "fools" WebUpdater into thinking that you already have the most recent version.

You'll have to do one of the two steps above everytime you run WebUpdater to prevent the forced update from occurring.

• One thread is here:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/11195/x/p1/

Do a forum search to find much more.

How would I perform the screen calibration test described in one those posts?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Screen Calibration:

With the unit powered off, press and hold the approx center of the screen. Continue pressing the screen and slide the power switch to the on position, then immediately to the lock position...do this in one continuous motion. Keep pressing the screen until the calibration routine appears (~15 seconds) and follow the prompts. Remember to slide the power switch from the lock position when you're done.
  • Oh alright. I knew that one.
    I thought since the person said screen calibration "test" it was something different.
    Thanks for all your help.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Ooops...now it's clear to me...8)

There is indeed a screen calibration/touch screen test procedure on the nuvi. To access it, enter the nuvi diagnostic mode:

With the nuvi powered on, press and hold the battery icon (or if externally powered, the area where the battery icon is normally located on the screen) for ~7 seconds. You've now entered diagnostic mode. To get to the touch-screen test page, press NEXT six times. It will be a solid black screen. Touch the screen and a blue dot will appear where you've touched the screen along with the corresponding screen coordinates. This screen test is VERY useful for testing if you have a bad/jumpy touch screen. On bad screens, pressing the screen will result in the blue dot actually jumping to a different screen location other than where you pressed it. It's OK to have a few random errors but on the bad 765 screens that I tested, the dot would jump to a totally different and random location about 30-50% of the time. This made the unit virtually unusable.

It's best to exit the diagnostic mode by simply turning off the unit. And don't worry, there are no settings you can screw up by fiddling with it...all settings or changes made in diagnostic mode are reset to default values on the next power cycle.
  • Ok cool. I tried it, and the dot was all over the place. Wow.

Well, heres the update.
    I just exchanged it at the store for another brand new unit. I have it sitting here next to me, with the version 2.20 software. There hasn't been any touchscreen errors as of yet, and Ive been trying my hardest to get it to do it.
    I'm very reluctant to hook it up to my computer to do an update and risk have the problem return, but if I dont, I wont be able to use the traffic feature. When I had the unit on the mount in the car earlier, it said that I could not use the traffic feature until an update was performed...
    Boooooo to that.

I may try connecting it to a different computer than the one Ive been using previously. Maybe, just maybe, that will make some sort of a difference....
    I know, I doubt it also.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    When I had the unit on the mount in the car earlier, it said that I could not use the traffic feature until an update was performed...
    What kind of update is it telling you to perform? A traffic receiver update or a unit software (firmware for the GPS unit) update? If it's the traffic receiver that needs updating, you can update the traffic receiver (bypassing the firmware update) by doing the following:

Connect the unit to USB and run WebUpdater. Go ahead and let it do it's thing when it comes to "updating" the software on the unit (not to worry, the actual update is performed on the next nuvi power cycle if GUPDATE.GCD is present on the unit and is newer than the current firmware version installed on the unit). After this is done, it will prompt you with "Proceed to check for additional updates, such as voice updates". Go ahead and let it check for these updates. More than likely, it will find a traffic receiver update for the unit along with others like GPS Chipset and various other updates. Go ahead and select/install these updates.

Now the important step...after WebUpdater finishes it's procedure but *before* disconnecting the unit from the USB port delete the file x:/Garmin/GUPDATE.GCD from the unit. This is the firmware update file which will update the firmware at the next power cycle so be sure to delete it.

With GUPDATE.GCD deleted from the nuvi, go ahead and disconnect safely from USB, power up the unit on the cradle mount connected to the traffic receiver. The nuvi will then perform the various updates that were installed with WebUpdater including the traffic receiver update.

You can continue to check for updates using WebUpdater but bypass the firmware update by using one of the two procedures I've posted in this topic above.
  • Yeah, I should have been a little clearer about that.
    It said the "traffic receiver requires an update" when I first plugged it in. Then, it wouldn't let me access the traffic menu. It said just traffic is not available.

I'm going to give your method a shot and see what happens. This will pretty much be the last straw if I have any touchscreen problems afterwards.
    I have to at least be able to hook it up and get the additional updates, or else the unit isn't even really worth having.

*edit- Is there anyway to install the free map update without updating the firmware? I know as soon as you go to Garmins site, they prompt you update it.
  • Well, I couldn't resist the urge to update my newest 765t. I probably should have though, because it caused the touchscreen jumping to return.
    So, I called up Best Buy and asked if they had any more in stock. (I can do this forever Garmin...try me.)
    They said they had just got a new shipment in overnight, so I drove down there to exchange it again.

Now, the first 4 units I had were very low serial numbers. They were all 1ag00xxxx. Every one of them came with software 2.20 installed, and after the update began to malfunction.
    The unit I just got, for the first time came installed with 2.50, and the serial number was 1ag0xxxxx. Yes, 5 X's instead of 4! The serial number is about 30,000 numbers higher than my previous 4 units. (One pair was a grand total of 2 numbers different.)

Thanks to SergZak, I was able to revert back to 2.50 on one of my problem units, and it did not help. The touchscreen errors were still present with 2.50 installed.
    NOW, the one I hold in my hand has 2.50 installed, with no problems whatsoever.

Where am I going with all this??? I dont really know. Just felt like sharing. I believe I may finally have a working 765.
    I wont know for sure until I update to 3.10, but I suspect I will be caving in and doing it within the hour.

Does anybody else has a 7x5 that came with 2.50 installed out of the box?
  • I believe my first 755T (Serial # 1AP014XXX) came with 2.50 installed and upgraded to 3.00(?) upon registration....It didn't have any screen problems but was returned 5 weeks later, because the battery wouldn't take a full charge. The replacement Serial # 1AP007xxx came with 2.20 and upgraded to 3.10 upon registration...so far the screen is A-OK. It concerned me a bit, when I opened the box an saw that the new unit was considerably older than the original, especially being aware of all the problems others had to deal with.

The only problem that I have had so far was when I registered the replacement if failed to record the "First Satellite Acquired Date". I had to call to get approval for the free map upgrade to 2009.1....a week later and they have done nada.
  • I went through the satellite acquisition problem also with my first unit.

Garmin told me that it actually needs to be taken out and driven around for a full day, and at reasonably fast speeds before registering. Then when you go to register it, the update will magically appear.
    Since I started following those instructions, I haven't had any more problems not being able to get the map update.

The first time I called, they said it would be pushed to my account that same day. It wasn't. So, I called back 2 days later and they actually pushed it through to my Garmin account while I was on the phone.
    I guess you just need to be a little aggressive with them, or they will brush you off.
    They have the capability to push it through within minutes.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Where am I going with all this??? I dont really know. Just felt like sharing. I believe I may finally have a working 765.
    I wont know for sure until I update to 3.10, but I suspect I will be caving in and doing it within the hour.

Does anybody else has a 7x5 that came with 2.50 installed out of the box?
    Just thought I'd repost something I posted earlier as I feel if definitely applies in this case.
    I have a feeling that the touch screen issues are simply hardware defects with software corrections made to the firmware code to try and correct/compensate. While this would work fine on some units, it would wreak havoc on others since the touch screens are not consistent hardware-wise. Whether or not Garmin can fix this with all units will remain to be seen as it's pretty difficult to fix bad hardware with software.
  • Sergzak:

If it is a hardware issue, how do you explain a perfect screen (zero mis-registers) for the first WEEK straight out of the box only to be plagued with touchscreen issues AFTER the update to 3.30? I am on my fourth 765T. The first three had touchscreen issues. Needless to say, I was elated with the thought that I finally had a working unit. I am so frustrated. I really like the 765T, but is it too much to ask for one that works?
  • JohnBoyToo 0 Points
    WOW, sorry to hear about our touch screen issues ! Mine has been fine (except for, like many, jumping too soon on the horrible map update to 2010!)

but would think after 4 of them would have hoped you might have thought to back up the original software that was working before updating.... just wonderin'

Maybe next time someone gets a 2.20 version they could back it up before updating so it's available for all :lol:

At any rate, some good has come out of this !!!
    (this thread has put a lot of good info out there on the 765 that I've not taken the time to investigate )

good luck !
  • SergZak 340 Points
    If it is a hardware issue, how do you explain a perfect screen (zero mis-registers) for the first WEEK straight out of the box only to be plagued with touchscreen issues AFTER the update to 3.30?
    Explanation? Here's my theory...the touchscreen issues are hardware related. Garmin's firmware updates attempted to correct bad hardware with software which can have unexpected results due to the different hardware/touchscreens out there. What may "fix" one unit (that doesn't actually need fixing in the first place) may wreak havoc on the good unit while fixing a bad unit.

I went through 2 units to finally get a "good" touchscreen (3rd unit) that has actually stayed good throughout the firmware updates.
  • lordgrinz 0 Points
    I have had the same erractic touch screen issues on the Nuvi 500, doesnt happen often, but it does happen. So you arent alone....
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    One of the 765's that I played with in the store had a bad touch screen. It was very frustrating to need to tap-tap-tap.
  • Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just got a 765t yesterday for Christmas, and having touchscreen issues.

I updated the maps and firmware, and still having issues. For instance if I am on the Where To? screen and hit the down arrow for more choices it selects the Picture viewer which is right above the arrow. It's very frustrating especially on a brand new unit. Any suggestions? I contacted Garmin to see what the think.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Any suggestions? I contacted Garmin to see what the think.
    Do a screen recalibration (see below)...if the first try does not help, try a few times more...multiple recalibrations may indeed help. If multiple screen recalibrations do not help, either return the unit to the retailer for an exchange or contact Garmin.

I really cannot believe that the 7x5 series are still having these issues...very bad, Garmin.

Screen Calibration:

With the unit powered off, press and hold the approx center of the screen. Continue pressing the screen and slide the power switch to the on position, then immediately to the lock position...do this in one continuous motion. Keep pressing the screen until the calibration routine appears (~15 seconds) and follow the prompts. Remember to slide the power switch from the lock position when you're done.
  • Mts83 0 Points
    I was researching this same touchscreen problem on Google and came across this thread. I too bought a 765T for Christmas and have been experiencing severe problems with touchscreen issues. Hitting the backspace button causes "U" to show up, along with other random letters showing up when typing on the screen. Touchscreen sensitivity is awful, with a hit or miss scrolling along with the nuvi itself freezing periodically. I tried the calibration a few times, a hard reset, and tried the diagnostics screen. As expected the blue dot was jumping all over the place, so its a hardware issue. Now to decide if I should send it back to Amazon, or right to Garmin- hopefully the replacement won’t have the same issues.
  • I bought a 755t from Costco.com recently with a defective touchscreen. While driving, the map would stop following the route and start shaking as if someone was wiggling their finger over the screen. Also, the 'u' button was impossible to trigger, as upon release it would always trigger another button instead, usually 't' or 'r'. I never realized how many cities and roads out here have the letter 'u' in their names until I tried this. X(

Anyways, I returned it to Costco for full refund, then re-ordered another 755t from Costco.com again. Been using the second unit for a month now with no touchscreen problems.
  • I contacted Garmin and they said just to talk to Amazon.
  • Mts83 0 Points
    Stryker412, Did yours come from Amazon too? If so, sounds like they may have gotten a bad batch! Which makes me worried a replacement from them could have the same issues. The units themselves were new/up to date. The newest maps are already on it (2010), along with the latest firmware. Using "My Garmin" only the language version updated for me.
  • Is there a specific serial # we should be looking for when purchasing the unit?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I doubt the serial number will indicate anything. The very first units released last year had these same touchscreen issues (I went through two returns last year before I even got a usable unit). Now even units coming directly from Garmin that have very recent firmware preinstalled have issues as well. Looks like Garmin continues to manufacture units with bad touchscreens allowing the end-user to do the testing. I'd say it's a luck of the draw if you get a good or bad touchscreen as Garmin clearly does not test anything before it's released. On top of that, if you call customer support, they will likely claim that they have never heard of the touchscreen issue...even after a year of bad screens and returns.
  • IMO, quality control is nonexistent in the world of Garmin, and customer service is not much better

• Screen Calibration:

Thanks for posting this. My wife bought me a 765t back in September for my birthday. It has version 3.6 firmware on it and has had screen issues since day 1. However, I found that if I typed very slowly and held each press for about 1 to 2 seconds, the accuracy was close to 100%. It just sucked doing it. However, I didn't want to send the unit in for an exchange so I lived with it.

I bought her a TomTom 340 (I think thats the number) and its touchscreen is perfect and fast. So much so that I'm embarrassed by the Garmin so I've decided to send it in. The recalibrate procedure has helped a great deal, but it still gets bad reads.

So, I'm sending it back in for this issue and the inability to work with my iPhone. It'll connect and dial out, but I can't get it to transfer the call from my phone to the GPS.
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    I'm sure Garmin buys the screens from a 3rd party vendor and are basically at the mercy of the design. Probably the best thing Garmin can do with this issue is to design this particular touch screen out of their product and use a different version. This most likely not going to happen for an aging model.
  • I sent mine back to Amazon for a replacement. If I get another one that has screen issues then I'm looking at another model. What models seem to have the touchscreen issues or is it all of them?
  • alanb 539 Points
    It seems to be just the 7x5 series. My 855 touch screen seems pretty accurate, and I don't read many touch screen complaints in the forums on nuvi models other than the 7x5 series.
  • I guess my only other alternative then is the 1390t.
  • alanb 539 Points
    You would be giving up quite a few of the 7x5 features on the 1390.
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    It seems to be just the 7x5 series. My 855 touch screen seems pretty accurate, and I don't read many touch screen complaints in the forums on nuvi models other than the 7x5 series.
    It does not seem likely that the screens would be different. maybe it is a software goober they can fix...
  • Ric01 0 Points
    After experiencing the same touchscreen issues on my 775T (NA/European map version of 765T) even after I had it exchanged, I learned to live with it by gently taping the screen using my nail instead of my finger tips. I found my nail reduces the contact surface area with the screen and reduces mis-tap on nearby characters. Occasionally, I would experience a few seconds response delay (ie tap, wait a few seconds and then the unit responded) and wondered if anyone else experience the screen response delay issue?
  • Occasionally, I would experience a few seconds response delay (ie tap, wait a few seconds and then the unit responded) and wondered if anyone else experience the screen response delay issue?
    Yes, this happens to me too.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Well, there seems to be no question that this delayed key entry is in fact present...maybe users with 1xxx series units can chime in and report if this happens with those units as well. As I said previously, I've seen a few reports of this with the 1xxx series as well.

I'll backdate to v3.60 to verify if this is indeed v3.90 specific and report back with my findings...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited December 2009
    OK, here are my findings regarding the delayed text entry.

v3.60
    Where To?>Points of Interest>Spell Name>(spell "mcdonalds", press OK(no key entry delay)). Unit does not display any search results for ~10 seconds.

v3.90
    Where To?>Points of Interest>Spell Name>(spell "mcdonalds"). The unit will seem to not register keypresses after the first two characters are entered but actualy is registering them despite the screen being unresponsive. After the full "mcdonalds" string is entered, press OK and the screen will instantly (well, within 1 second or so) display all found results without the ~10 second search delay of v3.60.

Clearly, v3.90 is searching and registering keypresses while you type, even though the screen is seemingly unresponsive. The searches do seem to be quicker to display the found list if you simply ignore the "unresponsive" screen which in fact actually continues to accept keypresses.
  • Ric01 0 Points
    Well, there seems to be no question that this delayed key entry is in fact present...maybe users with 1xxx series units can chime in and report if this happens with those units as well. As I said previously, I've seen a few reports of this with the 1xxx series as well.

I'll backdate to v3.60 to verify if this is indeed v3.90 specific and report back with my findings...
    Thanks! To assist in your investigation, I experienced delayed screen response on both v3.80 and v3.90 on 775T and hope the 1xxx series unit users can comment as suggested by SergZak
  • Ric01 0 Points
    OK, here are my findings regarding the delayed text entry.

v3.60
    Where To?>Points of Interest>Spell Name>(spell "mcdonalds", press OK)
    Unit does not display any search results for ~10 seconds.

v3.90
    Where To?>Points of Interest>Spell Name>(spell "mcdonalds"). The unit will seem to not register keypresses after the first two characters are entered but actualy is registering them despite the screen being unresponsive. After the full "mcdonalds" string is entered, press OK and the screen will instantly (well, within 1 second or so) display all found results without the ~10 second search delay of v3.60.

Clearly, v3.90 is searching and registering keypresses while you type, even though the screen is seemingly unresponsive.
    Great sleuthing SergZak! For my unit, I also experienced screen delayed response when I tap on the icons such as "favourites" for example. At times, when I received an incoming call after bluetooth pairing with BB 8703 and tap on the "answer", no initial response from 775T screen until I tap on the screen two or three more times.... not the ideal when I am driving.. not sure if this is normal for 7X5 or 1xxx
  • From my short time with the unit, the one thing that bothered me the most was not the delay. It was the issue of pushing one button and a completely different button registering as the one being pressed. Did you experience that on either firmware?
  • Paul o 0 Points
    I have the 1490T for aprox.3 weeks and have not found any issues with the touch screen.Just the strange routing that takes you off highways and onto the streets,with everything unchecked,on fastest .Hope all have a happy and health new year.
    Paul